Larry Fast Synergy "Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra" ...rumblings from Mr. Fast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Mister Larry Fast is such a nice guy ;) , luv 'im...so decent..

After I received his response regarding "Cords" , which I promptly shared with y'all quad bros;
here are some veeeerrrry iinnnnte-re-sting news from the horse's mouth(thanks Arte)... (bold italics, mine)

"...Since your last email there has been some serious interest from one of the major US distributors about possibly releasing a hi-res surround version of ERRO as extracted from the original quad encoded master. It would be a companion to other quad recordings from the era. It is still from a done deal as far as the business is concerned, but the technical details are very easily handled. An experimental 24/96 transfer from the analog was done last week to check the feasibility.

Thanks for your continued interest.

regards,
Larry"

From the "original quad encoded master"? Does that mean the QS encoded master? Why would they do that? It would make much more sense to go to the 4 channel master.

I suppose I'll have to stick to my Q8.

Even if it's from the QS encoded tapes, I wouldn't hesitate buying that release... but that don't mean that I'll sell my lovely 2 copies on LP(a clear and a black one) or the remastered CD...

True, I'll probably end up buying it myself. Just wish they could go back to the 4 channel master.

Well, a 4-track master has existed, since it has been released in Q8 and it's not a qs-decoded thing. Maybe the localization of the master is THE problem.

Further news from Mr Fast himself;
"....I have the 192k/24 bit copies of the quad masters of ERRO now transferred to disc. The label possibility is looking more realistic for later this year, but nothing definite right now...."

such a polite pro...it's a pleasure dealing with icons like him in such a pleasant fashion...

Those first couple Synergy albums were really good, and I hope the idea of a surround cd does come to fruition...definitely a sale to me.

Interesting read, kap'n krunch, thanks! Haven't listened much to his music since he played with Gabriel, but this sounds interesting.

Looking forward to these potential surround releases. At least my credit card doesn't burn up buying new music anymore because of the lack of surround releases. A blessing in disguise I guess.

Remember, guys, a discrete quad master would have to have existed to create the QS master. Whether or not that original discrete master still exists is the question, but I would think there should be a DVD-V (I could hope for DVD-A) release of the
origiinal quad master. Even a QS-encoded CD would be OK, since DPL II will decode it quite well.

Even a QS-encoded CD would be OK, since DPL II will decode it quite well.

The 1998 CD (Polygram Chronicles 314 558 042-2) is QS encoded. It's not mentioned anywhere on the outside (presumably so as not to confuse potential buyers), but it's explicitly mentioned--complete with QS logo--inside the booklet.

Further news from Mr Fast himself;
"....I have the 192k/24 bit copies of the quad masters of ERRO now transferred to disc. The label possibility is looking more realistic for later this year, but nothing definite right now...."

such a polite pro...it's a pleasure dealing with icons like him in such a pleasant fashion...

Just listening to a QS decode of this now...

So it never got re-issued? :(

I just did a quick listen of the Voiceprint (UK) edition of this from 2003. Decoded pretty well using neural setting on my Denon receiver, although it wasn't as discrete as I hoped. The surprise for me was the in the liner notes. The back of the disc has Classical Gas as the 2nd track and Slaughter On Tenth Avenue as the 3rd, while the booklet says Slaughter is 2nd and Classical Gas is 3rd. The inner book is incorrect. I have to agree though, that if the discrete mix exists somewhere in Larry's archive, it would be far better than trying to decode the QS mix.

I just did a quick listen of the Voiceprint (UK) edition of this from 2003. Decoded pretty well using neural setting on my Denon receiver, although it wasn't as discrete as I hoped. The surprise for me was the in the liner notes. The back of the disc has Classical Gas as the 2nd track and Slaughter On Tenth Avenue as the 3rd, while the booklet says Slaughter is 2nd and Classical Gas is 3rd. The inner book is incorrect. I have to agree though, that if the discrete mix exists somewhere in Larry's archive, it would be far better than trying to decode the QS mix.

That is one of the top QS albums from the Quad Era in my book. I'd buy a Discrete Quad version in a heartbeat !

I agree, Brian. An excellent QS encoding. But as for using Neural for decoding QS, it doesn't work well at all. Neural was intended for recordings encoded with that format, and the only real source for Neural surround material was XM Radio prior to the merge with Sirius. Try playing the album with Pro Logic II Music mode. The results will be better.

Back