DVD/DTS Poll Wilson, Steven - The Raven That Refused To Sing [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Steven Wilson - THE RAVEN THAT REFUSED TO SING

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on Steven Wilson's "The Raven That Refused To Sing" DTS 96/24 & Dolby DVD-V version ONLY.(y)(n)

Attachments

• KSCOPE241-600px.jpg
    KSCOPE241-600px.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 684
What can I say about this album that hasn't already been said?

Remarkable musicianship, superb song-writing, brilliant production and recording and the most awe-inspiring and enveloping 5.1 mix you're ever likely to hear. Steven Wilson further cements his status as a master of his craft(s). This album is an undeniable essential piece of work that everyone must have in their collection if they're in any way remotely interested in high resolution, multi-channel music.

I could go on, but it would get pretty boring and I'd soon run out of superlatives! ;)

Hey- I've been ping-ponging between the 96/24 and the Blu-Ray DTS-MA. Mike Mettler from S&V said in his review that the 96/24 was "the way to go." I've come to appreciate both "versions." As I mentioned before in another post, the only glaring difference I've heard so far is the acoustic break near the end of "Drive Home"; that part at 96/24 is quite a bit more audible in the rears and is very pronounced across the soundstage. Other than that, the mix is hearing pretty identical (to me!). One would not be shortchanging him or herself aurally AT ALL by aquiring this edition. Thanks.

Hey- I've been ping-ponging between the 96/24 and the Blu-Ray DTS-MA. Mike Mettler from S&V said in his review that the 96/24 was "the way to go." I've come to appreciate both "versions." As I mentioned before in another post, the only glaring difference I've heard so far is the acoustic break near the end of "Drive Home"; that part at 96/24 is quite a bit more audible in the rears and is very pronounced across the soundstage. Other than that, the mix is hearing pretty identical (to me!). One would not be shortchanging him or herself aurally AT ALL by aquiring this edition. Thanks.

Why would that be? Different mixes or different handling of formats by your system?

Quotes are always italicized on this board. Bolding was done by me so you'd know what part of your 'opinion' I was referring to, sleepyhead.

Phenomenal! the songs may not be everyone's cup of T, but are very musical, and I think you can tell the influences, musically, on his work by King Crimson, ELP, with a little Jethro Tull's Ian thrown in. I like it - a lot! and Wilson's surround mixing talents are top notch: the soundfield almost seems holographic in his positioning of sounds.

OK, now I have listened to it several times and are ready to "oh-pine".
Let's start with the point that I was NEVER a PT fan...I found it too cold and ...well, I could not connect to it somehow....(and it was my ex-boss-great guy- who introduced me to them).

I even saw them live in 2009 (I went cause Stickmen were opening and as a bonus i got to meet Tony Levin!)

I am STILL not a big PT fan , but I am "warming up" to them-if only because they were too out there for me or by sheer repetition or because the "Industry Standard" Surround mixes (and besides, SW has given the DVD-A format a HUGE boost...now he's moved on to Blu-Ray...)...and I have MOST of their DVD-As (I think the only one I'm missing is "Deadwing")

This disc has songs that are more "emotionally engaging" than any previous SW or PT work.

The paintings/artwork I find extremely dark and I do not like them at all-I think he was goinfg for "Bill Sienkiewicz", but missed... (to me a genius, he did "Elektra" in the 80's and "Stray Toasters", etc., comic book fans may know who I'm talking about, here's his WEBSITE ).

The lyrics are still dark and I still can not hum any melodies that may stick to my head(one of the reasons I'm not a full fledged PT fan),

But the Surround mix is genius(a very natural soundfield/bubble and warm sounding, maybe it was all of those "Urei" compressors that are featured in the "making of")
and the music doesn't sound "forced", it flows quite nicely.

Honorable mention goes to the very innovative screen "animation" which is ....a nice touch-in spite of using that horrible "artwork".

Overall, I would have given it a 10 , but , -1 point since it not on DVD-A (I'm still against BluRay, maybe I'll change my mind someday)...

OK, now I have listened to it several times and are ready to "oh-pine".
Let's start with the point that I was NEVER a PT fan...I found it too cold and ...well, I could not connect to it somehow....

I too, have never got into PT. I haven't purchased this disc, but have listened to the entire album on the internet, and my feelings are of frustration.
I absolutely love elements of it, especially the second track. SW has a wonderful gentle tone in his voice, and for me there's not enough of this throughout.....I haven't ruled out buying though. ( I just would have edited a fair bit of this, sometimes less, is more ! )

( I just would have edited a fair bit of this, sometimes less, is more ! )

Please forgive me, but I just couldn't let this go without comment. IMO, less would only be less in this case. It would be like Beethoven's "Sixth Symphony" without his "Fifth Symphony" or MJ's "Human Nature" without his "Billie Jean." The one complements the other and would be less without it.

Give yourself some time on this. With more listens, you will hear more intricate interplay between the instruments and players (especially with the multi-channel.)

JMO, of course.

Please forgive me, but I just couldn't let this go without comment. IMO, less would only be less in this case. It would be like Beethoven's "Sixth Symphony" without his "Fifth Symphony" or MJ's "Human Nature" without his "Billie Jean." The one complements the other and would be less without it.

Give yourself some time on this. With more listens, you will hear more intricate interplay between the instruments and players (especially with the multi-channel.)

JMO, of course.

I appreciate what you're saying, and i'm not surprised to receive a comment ( and i'm sure i'll receive a few others ) I've ordered the Blu Ray, and I can give more of a conclusive view then. ( as I've stated on the Blu Ray thread )
I'm not a fan of Prog Rock ( or I should say "classic prog rock" ) so that's where i'm going to find any disappointments with this. I listened to the whole album again last night, and still feel the same, i.e. very good elements, a wonderful second song, but I feel even that doesn't need the ending guitar solo to be so long, and then the beauty of this song is almost spoilt by the proggish ending. ( It's a song of beauty, and it needs to end in a beautiful way ! )
For me Prog Music, throws everything in ( tries to be too clever ! ) The " Kitchen sink ".....but sometimes, you just need the " cutlery " ! Any melodic aspect, can get lost in the " cacophony of noise ".

I appreciate what you're saying, and i'm not surprised to receive a comment ( and i'm sure i'll receive a few others ) I've ordered the Blu Ray, and I can give more of a conclusive view then. ( as I've stated on the Blu Ray thread )
I'm not a fan of Prog Rock ( or I should say "classic prog rock" ) so that's where i'm going to find any disappointments with this. I listened to the whole album again last night, and still feel the same, i.e. very good elements, a wonderful second song, but I feel even that doesn't need the ending guitar solo to be so long, and then the beauty of this song is almost spoilt by the proggish ending. ( It's a song of beauty, and it needs to end in a beautiful way ! )
For me Prog Music, throws everything in ( tries to be too clever ! ) The " Kitchen sink ".....but sometimes, you just need the " cutlery " ! Any melodic aspect, can get lost in the " cacophony of noise ".

I'm a bit of a kitchen sink kinda guy, hence the love for 70's Queen! :yikes

I'm a bit of a kitchen sink kinda guy, hence the love for 70's Queen! :yikes

Well, even I can cope with a 70's Queen !.....but groups like, Yes , King Crimson. Jethro Tull, ( I don't need that flute !!...although, it did contribute, to Toto's " Falling In Between " album ! :D ) just don't float my boat !!

Well, even I can cope with a 70's Queen !.....but groups like, Yes , King Crimson. Jethro Tull, ( I don't need that flute !!...although, it did contribute, to Toto's " Falling In Between " album ! :D ) just don't float my boat !!

really..?!? :yikes

JT and Yes have done some of my favourite albums..!! they do more than float my boat, they rock my socks off! :p

there's many a good kitchen sink tune played on a 70's queen! :D

really..?!? :yikes

JT and Yes have done some of my favourite albums..!! they do more than float my boat, they rock my socks off! :p

An old friend, was / is a big Yes fan, and tried to get me into their music...I do like " Owner Of A lonely Heart ", e.t.c.

Just listened to a bit of " Thick As A Brick ", and stopped after 3 - 4 minutes....the same word comes to mind everytime ! ( Where Prog Rock groups are concerned !! ) FRANTIC !!! Where's the melody ??? Songs that stand the test of time, have that most important element !!
For anyone that likes this kind of music then that's great for them ( we all have our tastes, in everything ) but it's not for me !

( " Play that funky flute white boy " )

An old friend, was / is a big Yes fan, and tried to get me into their music...I do like " Owner Of A lonely Heart ", e.t.c.

Just listened to a bit of " Thick As A Brick ", and stopped after 3 - 4 minutes....the same word comes to mind everytime ! ( Where Prog Rock groups are concerned !! ) FRANTIC !!! Where's the melody ??? Songs that stand the test of time, have that most important element !!
For anyone that likes this kind of music then that's great for them ( we all have our tastes, in everything ) but it's not for me !

I like to think of it as intricate and layered, powerful and dynamic rather than frantic (!).. but each to their own as you say and I respect your opinion (y)

Back