Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH MY GOD... THIS IS BLOODY AMAZING!!!!

Steven Wilson's best 5.1 mix so far imho (and he's done a lot of excellent ones already!).

An absolute triumph! All involved in this DVD-A should be very very proud.

Where's the QQ Poll? I'm ready for an instant TEN..!!!

Reactions: GOS
I'm loving it so far but find the vocals a little "distant" on Assault & Battery/Golden Void and I am also used to the flute/sax solo being more up front on that track. Both sound fine on the stereo mix and the rest of the album is stunning: Opa-Loka is a real head-fcuk.

I'm loving it so far but find the vocals a little "distant" on Assault & Battery/Golden Void and I am also used to the flute/sax solo being more up front on that track. Both sound fine on the stereo mix and the rest of the album is stunning: Opa-Loka is a real head-fcuk.

Crank it up! This one begs to be played LOUD..!! (always a good sign, imho!) :p

#11 at least? ;)

I whacked Magnu right up (all 9 minutes of it blasting out and I didn't get any ear fatigue!) and left it nice and loud for Standing At The Edge (absolutely gorgeous!).. fidelitys good from the start but sound improves on Side 2.. though Kings Of Speed suffers from overload distortion, I suspect that's inherent in the recording rather than any mastering choices and I'd rather the sound be left as is than tinkered with (tinkering is what the 5.1 bits for after all..!).

On the inside back page (15) of the new Warrior.. set booklet, there's a facsimile of a magazine ad promoting the "Reading Rock '75" Festival (cute!)...

.. and what a tantalising wishlist of artists I'd absolutely LOVE to hear Steven Wilson work his magic remixing into 5.1..!!

Supertramp,
Wishbone Ash,
Mahavishnu Orchestra,
Soft Machine,
Richard & Linda Thompson,
Thin Lizzy,
Mountain,
Robin Trower...

oh, yeah and a little group called YES at the top of the bill..!!!

WOWZERS! CAN YOU IMAGINE..?!? :yikes

Oh Joy! I just got a notice that my three disc set has shipped. Maybe I'll have it by next week. But it has to come from England.

What a lovely mix and great presentation. The biggest compliment I can pay is that, after receiving the three disc set from Cherry Red, I put the surround mix on just to sample it and stayed from beginning to end (including the Serge Gainsbourg Blu-ray that's the second time that's happened this week). Kudos to all concerned :banana:

Picked up mine at the post office this morning and man is this mix awesome!
This album is constantly growing on me with every listen, and this is definitely a mix made for 5.1!
Even the dialogue pieces (which I never cared for in stereo) make perfect sense in 5.1!
Shame that the multitracks were missing for "Spiral Galaxy 28948" and "Kings of Speed". The former is an awesome instrumental and a true discrete 5.1 mix would only make it even better!
Will vote once a poll is created! :)

So now that we have this, what's next for classic prog? More Jethro Tull ("Benefit" & "A Passion Play") & ELP ("Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery") coming at least.
A 35th Anniversary 5.1 mix of RUSH's "Hemispheres" would be most welcome... :rolleyes:

I still wish for Uriah Heep's "Demons and Wizards" or "Magician's Birthday". But I doubt their record labels will ever go along.

This album is constantly growing on me with every listen, and this is definitely a mix made for 5.1!
Even the dialogue pieces (which I never cared for in stereo) make perfect sense in 5.1!
Shame that the multitracks were missing for "Spiral Galaxy 28948" and "Kings of Speed". The former is an awesome instrumental and a true discrete 5.1 mix would only make it even better!
Will vote once a poll is created! :)

So now that we have this, what's next for classic prog? More Jethro Tull ("Benefit" & "A Passion Play") & ELP ("Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery") coming at least.
A 35th Anniversary 5.1 mix of RUSH's "Hemispheres" would be most welcome... :rolleyes:

Are you gunning for a Perfect 10 in the Poll, too..?? :eek:

Supertramp,
Wishbone Ash,
Mahavishnu Orchestra,
Soft Machine,
Richard & Linda Thompson,
Thin Lizzy,
Mountain,
Robin Trower...

Not prog but any of those next from SW would be killer! :p

I still wish for Uriah Heep's "Demons and Wizards" or "Magician's Birthday". But I doubt their record labels will ever go along.

the Demons & Wizards albums 40th anniversary's been & gone.. what label are they on now? Universal still? Might be worth you dropping a line to UMe? Or asking Steven Wilson if he's considered it for a 5.1 remix?

Demons & Wizards was the first album I really got into, at the tender age of ten. I saw the new Heep play it live at High Voltage a few years back. I think Mick Box was the only original member, but it didn't matter. It was just like being a Traveller in Time, as if I had been waiting All My Life to see it. I was under The Spell and in Paradise.

A 5.1 version would be incredible. I can just hear the opening acoustic guitar on the Wizard in a wide stereo field with the reverb in the rears...

Same thing here! the 5.1 mix is eye-opening!

I'm up to Spiral Galaxy 24948 now and I don't think the 5.1 upmix detracts too much from the real thing. The treble is indeed harsher, but nothing deal-breaking.

I feel the Kings of Speed upmix doesn't work as well I'm sorry to say. It is a bit disapointing to end experiencing the 5.1 mix on this note.
But, eh, what can you do when the multitracks are missing?

I feel the Kings of Speed upmix doesn't work as well I'm sorry to say. It is a bit disapointing to end experiencing the 5.1 mix on this note.
But, eh, what can you do when the multitracks are missing?

very true.. Kings of Speed's the worst-sounding thing on the new 5.1 remix but the team gave it a good shot and just about everything else is perfect (hence my 10 Vote!).. almost all of Side 2, except the 2 upmixes, is virtually a masterclass in how to do a 5.1 remix = exceptional.

Back