Quatermass

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if this Dvd has at least DTS on it?
Will you guys still be excited over this if it only has Dolby Digitial 5.1?
I have not been very impressed with the DD 5.1's I have and not sure if I want to spend money on lossy recordings any more.

Not sure if its correct place but I sent a email to cherry red to ask if they know what type of 5.1 this is going to be.

Does anyone know if this Dvd has at least DTS on it?
Will you guys still be excited over this if it only has Dolby Digitial 5.1?
I have not been very impressed with the DD 5.1's I have and not sure if I want to spend money on lossy recordings any more.

Not sure if its correct place but I sent a email to cherry red to ask if they know what type of 5.1 this is going to be.

Not sure but the Hawkwind is a DVD-A from Cherry Red right? So here's hoping its a DVD-A

Here is a comment from Quartermass drummer Mike Underwood,

Went to Chiswick's Power House Studios yesterday, to hear the playback of the remixed QUATERMASS album. J Peter Robinson, the band's keyboard player and string etc arranger, has spent a long time working on the mixing and mastering. This work has paid off handsomely. I sat in the middle of the 5.1surround playback and was getting constantly blown away big time. It sounds like it was recorded yesterday with even more power than the original! The whole original album is there + both sides of a single+ bonus tracks. One bonus track was recorded with a different line up after my time with the band and is ace. March is the expected release month. I'm still trying to get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.carolhynson.co.uk/quatermass/messages.htm

Well I got the answer from a Vicky Powell from Esoteric.

She replied "It would have DTS".

So I asked a followup with: No DVDA layer, to bad as it is a lossless layer and gives the recording the best sound possible.
Again the Hawkwind has it.
Glad it at least has Dts.

and she replied:

Would agree with you but the audio wasn’t done at our end. It was delivered as finished and paid for by Peter, so we cant really dictate.

Well I got the answer from a Vicky Powell from Esoteric.
She replied "It would have DTS".
So I asked a followup with: No DVDA layer, to bad as it is a lossless layer and gives the recording the best sound possible.
Again the Hawkwind has it.
Glad it at least has Dts.
and she replied:
Would agree with you but the audio wasn’t done at our end. It was delivered as finished and paid for by Peter, so we cant really dictate.
perhaps you should invite them to QQ. from 6500+ members at least 500 can do authoring of DVD-Audio.

ah well..
oh, how I wish there was one standard/format all the labels/artists could agree on and stick to after all these years of format wars and nonsense.. (i.e. Advanced Resolution Surround DVD-A).

seems many authoring houses doesn't have software to build and compile DVD-Audio. Sonic and DiscWelder
both were discontinued some time ago. even more of these houses doesn't have even slightest idea about
existance of such format.

perhaps you should invite them to QQ. from 6500+ members at least 500 can do authoring of DVD-Audio.

seems many authoring houses doesn't have software to build and compile DVD-Audio. Sonic and DiscWelder
both were discontinued some time ago. even more of these houses doesn't have even slightest idea about
existance of such format.

I got the impression the mix was delivered to Esoteric as DTS.. so what would be the point in Adv. Res. DVD-A if its a lossy DTS source..?

Surely Abbey Road Studios has full 5.1 PCM, DTS and DVD-Audio capabilities. Why do so many EMI released DVDs with 5.1 not have the full DVD Audio capacity?
Barclay James Harvest etc?

I got the impression the mix was delivered to Esoteric as DTS.. so what would be the point in Adv. Res. DVD-A if its a lossy DTS source..?

Esoteric is just label, which does managment and distribution. some big labels have their studios.
but it doesn't mean that everything is done under one roof.
usually studio does recording and mixes which then sent to another house for authoring and compiling
of DVD-Audio (or more often just Audio-DVD) or SACD. after receiving back master disc and approval
this master disc would be sent to replication house. quite unlikely that even big label or independent
studio will keep full time employees who's doing authoring for DVD-A/BD-A/SACD, as these releases
come out pretty rarely.
in this case raw PCM 5.1 mix was sent to someone, who did encoding and compile DVD and Esoteric
got it back as 5.1 DTS, which means that DVD-Audio wasn't agreed prior the source mix was sent
to be compiled onto DVD.

"and she replied:

"

My understanding of that is Peter (Robinson?) delivered DTS to Esoteric.

How could Esoteric justify presenting this as a Hi-Rez DVD-A when DTS is what they have been given by the artist themselves..!?

Get me now? :)

Esoteric is just label, which does managment and distribution. some big labels have their studios.
but it doesn't mean that everything is done under one roof.
usually studio does recording and mixes which then sent to another house for authoring and compiling
of DVD-Audio (or more often just Audio-DVD) or SACD. after receiving back master disc and approval
this master disc would be sent to replication house. quite unlikely that even big label or independent
studio will keep full time employees who's doing authoring for DVD-A/BD-A/SACD, as these releases
come out pretty rarely.
in this case raw PCM 5.1 mix was sent to someone, who did encoding and compile DVD and Esoteric
got it back as 5.1 DTS, which means that DVD-Audio wasn't agreed prior the source mix was sent
to be compiled onto DVD.

DELAYED!

Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

Quatermass "Quatermass ~ 2 Disc Deluxe Edition [CD & DVD]"
Estimated arrival date: July 17 2013 - July 19 2013

Surely Abbey Road Studios has full 5.1 PCM, DTS and DVD-Audio capabilities. Why do so many EMI released DVDs with 5.1 not have the full DVD Audio capacity?
Barclay James Harvest etc?

Actually, you are so wrong here it is sad.
Abbey Road Interactive was shut down to save money (EMI, like all labels, have been screwed over by leveraged buyouts by hostile "venture capital" firms on a cash grab, and get all the debt of takeover put onto the label as a tax dodge, effectively stripping them of all cash). Most of the authoring houses left are mac based (there has been no DVDA authoring capability for commercial grade on a mac, ever) or else upgraded their PC setups from XP to Vista or Windows 7, and Sonic's DVDA tool will simply not run on Windows 7 or Windows Vista - they upgraded themselves out of the game.

Nowadays, with few exceptions, they bash iot out as cheaply as possible using DVDSP on macs so this is why no DVDA.

Abbey Road Interactive was shut down to save money (EMI, like all labels, have been screwed over by leveraged buyouts by hostile "venture capital" firms on a cash grab, and get all the debt of takeover put onto the label as a tax dodge, effectively stripping them of all cash). Most of the authoring houses left are mac based (there has been no DVDA authoring capability for commercial grade on a mac, ever) or else upgraded their PC setups from XP to Vista or Windows 7, and Sonic's DVDA tool will simply not run on Windows 7 or Windows Vista - they upgraded themselves out of the game.

Nowadays, with few exceptions, they bash iot out as cheaply as possible using DVDSP on macs so this is why no DVDA.

That's astonishing and crazy but explains a lot!

Peter Mew & Abbey Road were still foisting DVD-V DTS 5.1's on us back when things were slightly rosier.. the Deep Purple "Stormbringer" Quad being a case in point = DTS only.

I have but one explanation for their lack of DVD-A pre going tits-up --- INEPTITUDE :mad:

I'm not that sad Neil :howl

Back