DVD/DTS Poll Backstreet Boys - Never Gone [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Backstreet Boys - NEVER GONE

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations about this title...(y) (n)

I've listened to this a couple of times now. "Incomplete" and a couple of other tracks (Weird World, Never Gone) are kind of catchy but this album, IMO, is not as instantly ear-catching as, say, the album Millennium. The songs are ok and the boys can defintiely still sing well. What makes this disc really sparkle is the surround mix by Thom C.

Much like the Destiny's Child disc, the rears are sparse (though much more than DC) but it's not what is there but how it is used that makes the mix shine. I think Thom's strength is putting just enough in the back to make a much more 3D sound picture. The red book cd sounds VERY compressed and mushed while the DD5.1 mix is really nice and open sounding.

There is a video of "Incomplete" in DD5.1 and a making of the video in DD2.0.

It's esy to make fun of the BSB but all in all this is a decent pop album. I would give it a 7.5 but I will roundup to 8.

finally caved in (after years and years of putting it off) and bought this the other day.. and nice and cheap I might add!

in total agreement with Bob Romano, this is an excellent disc!

as Bob says the surround mix is what elevates this to another level, yet another Thom Cadley keeper!

Did Thom C ever do any rubbish back in the day? Not that I've heard! I sure wish he was still doing 5.1 music mixes, he did so many modern rock & pop albums on SACD & DualDisc in 5.1 and they're all must haves imho.

here the rears are active, with a variety of things going on, its an open and engaging mix, with crunching guitars, harmony vocals, keyboards, tambourines, shakers & other percussion.. all sorts of nice things discrete in the rear, this is definitely not an ambient or double stereo job.

i can't help but think if this wasn't 1.) The Backstreet Boys & 2.) Dolby Digital, this would be a very popular and very high scoring title round here. As it is, despite only 2 QQ votes, an "8" and a "9" are what its got so far, its no slouch.

I need to give it another couple of listens at least but I reckon I'll be rating this quite highly, around a "7" or "8".. maybe even a "9"! Forget any preconceived ideas about the BSB's and Dolby D and give it a try. For a couple of bucks, you can't go wrong with this one.

hahaha!! what little I had in the first place! :p

this years' been hilarious from a surround street Cred p.o.v..
Britney DVDA, Backstreet Boys & Chris Brown DualDiscs.. still for every R.Kelly there's been an R.E.M. or three..!!!! :mad:@:

..you know what's even more amazing, the surround mixes on those Britney & Chris Brown discs are superb!!! :eek:

Back