Quatermass

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...okay the DVD has DD and standard DTS. First impressions are of an active discrete mix with plenty happening. Music is classic old school rock/prog - think early Uriah Heep. Enjoying it lots!

Quick update on this. The style is more like a cross between early Heep and Greenslade - loads of keyboards and synths. To my ears this is extremely good music - a real hidden gem! :)

wrt the mix, it's very good, considering the material they were working with, but it's somewhat "variable" in it's use of the surround channels; very subtle for a lot of the time with discrete placements of keys and particular sounds/solos to emphasise aspects of the music, so maybe not quite as immersive as some of the material we're used to. Having said that when it lets rip, it really lets rip and I find the contrast between subtle and full on quite endearing. Quite a bit of compression though; more than I would ideally like. Still very enjoyable. :)

Quick update on this. The style is more like a cross between early Heep and Greenslade - loads of keyboards and synths. To my ears this is extremely good music - a real hidden gem! :)

wrt the mix, it's very good, considering the material they were working with, but it's somewhat "variable" in it's use of the surround channels; very subtle for a lot of the time with discrete placements of keys and particular sounds/solos to emphasise aspects of the music, so maybe not quite as immersive as some of the material we're used to. Having said that when it lets rip, it really lets rip and I find the contrast between subtle and full on quite endearing. Quite a bit of compression though; more than I would ideally like. Still very enjoyable. :)

Thanks Neil

Mine is still on order. Look forward to it, maybe by September by the time it comes from USA to Australia

...okay the DVD has DD and standard DTS. First impressions are of an active discrete mix with plenty happening. Music is classic old school rock/prog - think early Uriah Heep. Enjoying it lots!

DTS as the lady at Esoteric suggested the mix was delivered to them by Robinson back when.. delay was probably packaging or timing/strategic related thing rather than additional work having plumped for lossless DVD-A etc.

I was wondering where my copy was then I discovered I'd ordered it from amazon not Cherry Red, that'll teach me!

I was wondering where my copy was then I discovered I'd ordered it from amazon not Cherry Red, that'll teach me!

I always try to order these things direct if I can so more of the profit goes closer to the source. Labels like Cherry Red/Esoteric and Burning Shed/Kscope are very precious but also very small; they need all the support we can give them even if that means paying a few quid more. They can only continue to provide us with these wonderful re-releases if they're there. :)

I always try to order these things direct if I can so more of the profit goes closer to the source. Labels like Cherry Red/Esoteric and Burning Shed/Kscope are very precious but also very small; they need all the support we can give them even if that means paying a few quid more. They can only continue to provide us with these wonderful re-releases if they're there. :)

Same here Neil, its just I've got lazy lately and do Amazon's 1-click thing when I really should just take a minute to buy direct from the label.. :eek:

But Amazon is buying from the source, right? So does it really matter?

I think it does in terms of percentages. There has to be some room for the reseller built in, which is probably less to the artist for those units. Mine is coming from a favorite eBay seller so I'm not being as supportive on this one.

I use Burning Shed and artist websites much of the time.

Possibly because the smaller labels admit to themselves they will only have a tiny fraction of the traffic that Amazons bandwidth provides.

Better to sell 50,000 copies at some reduced figure than a defiantly independent 3,000 copies.

I agree, I prefer to buy direct from the small labels, direct from the bands (just got some more Marillion, and pre-ordered The Temperance Movements 1st CD), or use Spin CDs in Newcastle ( http://www.spincds.com/ ) who are a really good independent shop, Burning Shed, and I also look at http://www.progrock.co.uk/ before amazon, which is great for the big labels - who they screw down on price. Amazon is convenient which is why I use them a lot, but the smaller guys web sites and their service is good these days, and prices aren't that bad. :) Now where is the album I'm really interested in listening to, arrh yes I bought it from the wrong supplier, damn! :howl

Neil's is a good summation of this disc. It's quite enjoyable but from all the work that has gone into producing it it's a shame that the end result is as compressed as it is.

Does anyone know what the resolution of the surround and stereo mixes are?

Finally shipped from Yamazon UK...:banana:

Can't wait for this one...

Back