Peter Gabriel Live in Athens 1987 - Blu-Ray Release in September

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peter-Gabri...5953&creativeASIN=B00DO9V9A4&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

So this new release will basically make my "So" box set completely WORTHLESS to me.
Why? Because the only disc that will be worth anything now in the set is the 'DNA' CD, which I barely listen to anyway.
With both the Classic Albums documentary and now the Athens concert available separately on Blu-Ray, I'm seriously thinking about selling my 'So' set.

Oh and it also looks like there will be a bonus DVD of 'PLAY' included with the Athens Blu-Ray too, which is good cause my PLAY DVD's DTS track is one of the faulty ones, so I'm looking forward to getting a (hopefully) corrected version of that disc finally...

Thanks for the message Ryan. Looks like a good BD, coupled with the Play dvd.

On the other hand, when you have the So box, I can imagine that you feel cheated by PG.

yeah especially when PG said this when talking about the contents of the set:

RE: Athens Film
There are no plans, at present, for a stand-alone version. If there is a real demand for it in the future, we will try to make sure it has enough different elements for anyone who buys the box set, but we would have to feel there was enough interest to justify all the extra work we would have to do.

Not exactly what I would refer to as "different elements" with the PLAY DVD included since it was already released.
What would've been better would be a double Blu-ray with the Athens film and a new film of the 2012/13 Back to Front tour.

Surprised no one's reviewed this yet- guess I'll be the 1st...

Excellent disc! the Audio is fantastic- full, well-balanced, great clarity and awesome low-end w/ a true surround mix (much more than ambiance in surrounds). PQ is also very good, but the best thing about the visuals is the directing: great composition; good cuts (meaning none of those MTV ADHD fast cuts which I HATE); lighting is all white, so there's none of the anomalies associated w/ colored lighting in low-light conditions (and there is a lot of darkness in this concert{both visually and thematically} and there's great contrast and DEEP blacks); and you get to see a good bit of the band playing (love watching TL working those "funk fingers"), though since PG is the name in the act, it obviously focuses mostly on him- but no more than most concert vids focus on the lead singer and even less than some.

The performances are fantastic- this was the last show of a long tour and the band was "tight, tight, tight!" (said in my best Tuco imitation). The arrangements often differ (sometimes markedly so) from the album versions, but are very well-done and stay truthful to the originals. And the setlist is great- awesome to be able to watch them doing cuts from PG III and IV. I've long had this on VHS (and long wondered why there was no dvd- until the So box) and it's great having the extra tracks and getting rid of the non-concert video. My only (minor) letdown was that it seems to me that the show starts off so great and maintains that until near the end, but seems to lose a little "steam" at the end, rather than going out w/ a bang- but that may be due to my personal tastes for the songs at the end. It's not that I don't like those songs, but they are not among my faves and I just experience a slight reduction in energy at a time in the show when the energy should be peaking. I understand PG liked having Biko at the end to reinforce his political views (most of which I happen to agree w/) and also as a tribute to a hero and that's cool, but In Your Eyes is not one of my faves, esp. w/ the drawn-out arrangements and I like Here Comes the Flood better near the beginning of the show. But these are very minor nitpicks on what is an excellent show.

When I got Secret World Live on BR it quickly became my most-played BR (once I got a big-screen HDTV that dvd became unwatchable, due to it being non-anamorphic, it was a real mess). For now, this disc will supplant SWL as most-played, given it's newness, though I suspect it will take a backseat to SWL as time passes. But I am thrilled to have this concert. Highly recommended; at least a 9.5, possibly a 10.

BTW, the included Play disc has indeed fixed the DTS bug from the 1st edition and sounds awesome as well. If you don't have Play, I think that alone is worth the price of admission, though the BR smokes it. It would be an amazing bonus if not for the fact that a very high percentage of those who will purchase this likely already have Play.

Nice comments.
Question- Besides having to turn up the "Old" Play to ungodly levels for playback, is there anything else, quality-wise, with this updated disc. Thanks.

Surprised no one's reviewed this yet- guess I'll be the 1st...

Excellent disc! the Audio is fantastic- full, well-balanced, great clarity and awesome low-end w/ a true surround mix (much more than ambiance in surrounds). PQ is also very good, but the best thing about the visuals is the directing: great composition; good cuts (meaning none of those MTV ADHD fast cuts which I HATE); lighting is all white, so there's none of the anomalies associated w/ colored lighting in low-light conditions (and there is a lot of darkness in this concert{both visually and thematically} and there's great contrast and DEEP blacks); and you get to see a good bit of the band playing (love watching TL working those "funk fingers"), though since PG is the name in the act, it obviously focuses mostly on him- but no more than most concert vids focus on the lead singer and even less than some.

The performances are fantastic- this was the last show of a long tour and the band was "tight, tight, tight!" (said in my best Tuco imitation). The arrangements often differ (sometimes markedly so) from the album versions, but are very well-done and stay truthful to the originals. And the setlist is great- awesome to be able to watch them doing cuts from PG III and IV. I've long had this on VHS (and long wondered why there was no dvd- until the So box) and it's great having the extra tracks and getting rid of the non-concert video. My only (minor) letdown was that it seems to me that the show starts off so great and maintains that until near the end, but seems to lose a little "steam" at the end, rather than going out w/ a bang- but that may be due to my personal tastes for the songs at the end. It's not that I don't like those songs, but they are not among my faves and I just experience a slight reduction in energy at a time in the show when the energy should be peaking. I understand PG liked having Biko at the end to reinforce his political views (most of which I happen to agree w/) and also as a tribute to a hero and that's cool, but In Your Eyes is not one of my faves, esp. w/ the drawn-out arrangements and I like Here Comes the Flood better near the beginning of the show. But these are very minor nitpicks on what is an excellent show.

When I got Secret World Live on BR it quickly became my most-played BR (once I got a big-screen HDTV that dvd became unwatchable, due to it being non-anamorphic, it was a real mess). For now, this disc will supplant SWL as most-played, given it's newness, though I suspect it will take a backseat to SWL as time passes. But I am thrilled to have this concert. Highly recommended; at least a 9.5, possibly a 10.

BTW, the included Play disc has indeed fixed the DTS bug from the 1st edition and sounds awesome as well. If you don't have Play, I think that alone is worth the price of admission, though the BR smokes it. It would be an amazing bonus if not for the fact that a very high percentage of those who will purchase this likely already have Play.

Ditto this! Picked this up yesterday, after seeing PG live on Monday night. FYI, they filmed that gig and the following night too. The director had us doing some stuff before the show. Hope it's released soon :)

That sounds cool- what did the director have you doing? And who is the director?

Well, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, but it was just a little audience participation thing and some reaction shots. He also asked us to film stuff on our mobile phones and send it directly to PG's website for inclusion in the film.

I know that they filmed both gigs this week, including sound checks with the band all in full stage outfits and that they are filming it in 4K HD. The director, who I don't know of, said he had worked with Peter a few times in the past.

Expect to see something next year :)

http://variety.com/2013/film/intern...uce-4k-peter-gabriel-concert-film-1200754476/

https://petergabriel.com/offers/backtofront_videosubmissions/

Well, I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, but it was just a little audience participation thing and some reaction shots. He also asked us to film stuff on our mobile phones and send it directly to PG's website for inclusion in the film.

I know that they filmed both gigs this week, including sound checks with the band all in full stage outfits and that they are filming it in 4K HD. The director, who I don't know of, said he had worked with Peter a few times in the past.

Expect to see something next year :)

http://variety.com/2013/film/intern...uce-4k-peter-gabriel-concert-film-1200754476/

https://petergabriel.com/offers/backtofront_videosubmissions/

Sounds cool- looking forward to this release- though I can't imagine it can compete w/ the Athens BR, that is rarefied air indeed.

Hope you make the cut in this release; you'll have to let us know once you see it if we will be able to spot you.

Sounds cool- looking forward to this release- though I can't imagine it can compete w/ the Athens BR, that is rarefied air indeed.

Hope you make the cut in this release; you'll have to let us know once you see it if we will be able to spot you.

Well, the '87 gig will take some beating but I have to say, the show I saw on Monday will give it a run for its money. It was clear that Peter drew heavily from the 87 tour in terms of style so it was almost like watching a remix, if you will. The big difference was the way he split the show into three sections, but made it flow like a single entity. The first section of the show has the band performing some numbers acoustically with the house lights up. Peter is at the piano (grand, not his favoured CP70), Tony Levin is on upright bass, the great Manu Katché on drums, David Rhodes on acoustic guitar and David Sancious switched between accordion and six string guitar. That then seamlessly blended, mid song (Family Snapshot) into a full on rock out session, house lights down and white stage lights, with yet more classics and a new song too! And finally, the entire 'So' album, with full colour light show, which was spine tinglingly good. Finally, probably the most stunning encore I've seen in a long, long while.

And not forgetting the support performance by Peter's amazing backing singers, Jennie Abrahamson and Linnea Ollson which was stunning. There was also a performance by Levon Minassian on his Duduk. I love the way Peter comes on and introduces all of his support acts personally, like a proud father.

The visuals and lighting were stunning, with Peter employing similar lights on booms as he did in 87, but with new twists ;)

You won't see me as I was in the upper tier but I did submit some video footage so we'll see if that gets included. I was wearing my Steven Wilson 'moonfaced' t-shirt, so if the camera did pan up my way, I should be easy to pick out! ;)

Here's the set list...

Jennie Abrahamson:

Snow Storm
Phoenix

Linnea Ollson:

Ah!
What

Levon Minassian:

The Feeling Begins

Peter Gabriel:

<Acoustic, full lights>

OBUT (Improv song)
Come Talk to Me
Shock the Monkey

<Electric, white lights>

Family Snapshot (1st half semi-acoustic)
Digging in the Dirt
Secret World
The Family and the Fishing Net
No Self Control
Solsbury Hill
Why Don't You Show Yourself

<So, colour lights>

Red Rain
Sledgehammer
Don't Give Up (featuring Jennie Abrahamson, who sounded very much like Dolly Parton, the person PG had in mind for the duet originally)
That Voice Again
Mercy Street
Big Time
We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)
This Is the Picture (Excellent Birds)
In Your Eyes

<Encore>

The Tower That Ate People
Biko

Well, the '87 gig will take some beating but I have to say, the show I saw on Monday will give it a run for its money. It was clear that Peter drew heavily from the 87 tour in terms of style so it was almost like watching a remix, if you will. The big difference was the way he split the show into three sections, but made it flow like a single entity. The first section of the show has the band performing some numbers acoustically with the house lights up. Peter is at the piano (grand, not his favoured CP70), Tony Levin is on upright bass, the great Manu Katché on drums, David Rhodes on acoustic guitar and David Sancious switched between accordion and six string guitar. That then seamlessly blended, mid song (Family Snapshot) into a full on rock out session, house lights down and white stage lights, with yet more classics and a new song too! And finally, the entire 'So' album, with full colour light show, which was spine tinglingly good. Finally, probably the most stunning encore I've seen in a long, long while.

And not forgetting the support performance by Peter's amazing backing singers, Jennie Abrahamson and Linnea Ollson which was stunning. There was also a performance by Levon Minassian on his Duduk. I love the way Peter comes on and introduces all of his support acts personally, like a proud father.

The visuals and lighting were stunning, with Peter employing similar lights on booms as he did in 87, but with new twists ;)

You won't see me as I was in the upper tier but I did submit some video footage so we'll see if that gets included. I was wearing my Steven Wilson 'moonfaced' t-shirt, so if the camera did pan up my way, I should be easy to pick out! ;)

Here's the set list...

Jennie Abrahamson:

Snow Storm
Phoenix

Linnea Ollson:

Ah!
What

Levon Minassian:

The Feeling Begins

Peter Gabriel:

<Acoustic, full lights>

OBUT (Improv song)
Come Talk to Me
Shock the Monkey

<Electric, white lights>

Family Snapshot (1st half semi-acoustic)
Digging in the Dirt
Secret World
The Family and the Fishing Net
No Self Control
Solsbury Hill
Why Don't You Show Yourself

<So, colour lights>

Red Rain
Sledgehammer
Don't Give Up (featuring Jennie Abrahamson, who sounded very much like Dolly Parton, the person PG had in mind for the duet originally)
That Voice Again
Mercy Street
Big Time
We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)
This Is the Picture (Excellent Birds)
In Your Eyes

<Encore>

The Tower That Ate People
Biko

Thanks for the detailed review. This sounds awesome- really looking forward to seeing the BR. TL on upright- that's always cool. Maybe it will give Athens a run for the money, sonically, musically and compositionally. But hard to beat seeing a young PG...

But hard to beat seeing a young PG...

You know, I couldn't help but think that, apart from a few wrinkles, a few extra pounds, a bit less hair and a goatee beard, there was little to tell apart from the Gabriel of '87 and the Gabriel of '13. He was as energetic as he was back then, prancing around the stage, albeit there was no crowd surfing, but he certainly didn't look or act like a 63 year old man :)

The biggest difference between Athens in '87 and London in '13 was that he had a few 'newer' songs to choose from. For example, his performances of Digging In The Dirt and The Tower That Ate People were so full of energy that listening to the studio versions, I can't help but feel they sound lightweight.

Saw PG in 1987 in Worcester on the 1st show of two (or the other way round)...I was far away...
Then , in Barcelona in 2003 , "first row" -the round stage....incredible concert-unfortunately it was not even 3/4 sold out......
Since Spain is in the dumps (even SW was not planning on coming, he added the Nov 8 date later!), if he came...I might not even go...
He puts on a great show, but it's not for everybody...
Planing on getting this , though...

If the mixing is anywhere close to the recent Live in Athens BR effort, I am stoked. And contrary to most concerts it's the energy, musicianship that makes all the difference, not the wardrobe changes(I know what I like nudge, nudge) or the cinematic backdrop.

Back