HiRez Poll Yes - CLOSE TO THE EDGE [DVD-AUDIO/BLU-RAY]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - CLOSE TO THE EDGE

• Total voters
:mad:@:

And this is bad, "how"?;)

Blimey mate, are you turning more "Peter Rabbit" and less "Pete Townshend"???

Just crank it up! :banana:

Actually, I have noticed what you speak of with many of my 5.1 discrete mixes. I always thought it was due to the sound coming from 5 physical sources instead of 2, so there is much more head room before your ears perceive a saturation point from any given speaker. Kinda like the better the sound system in a venue, the cleaner it will sound and our ears won't think its that loud but it actually is.

I am just happy you got your CTTE 5.1 disc. Deepdiscount.com has mine in transit, I hope it is in my mailbox when I get home tonight. Don't worry I will not hesitate to crank it up to the limits of my new Onkyo receiver @100 plus real watts...:cool: I get up, I get down, indeed!

Pardon, what did he say, I can't hear you :yikes!!

I don't mind volume, but I think you should be able to hear an element of power, punch and density to the sound without having to crank it up. I like your explanation of our perception of the loudness of the sound. I can say for definite that I have needed to play this CTTE disc at a louder volume than any other 5.1 disc that I have.

Yours is still in transit? But I thought you voted 10 already! I won't start that topic going again :spot. I hope it reaches you today, turn it up and enjoy :brew.

Both of my Blu-ray's for XTC & Yes were waiting for me when I got home today Hooray! Listening to the XTC original stereo mix on cd via headphones at the moment and it sounds really good, will give the Yes cd a listen as soon as XTC is done. I'm off Friday so I will be giving the Blu-ray's a test drive then.

Great album and surround mix, I was expecting Ricks Organ to be bigger during CTTE but appart from that I think this is a supurb edition.

I was never that big a Yes fan so Steven thanks for Expanding my musical Horizons (only owned fragile and a compilation) I have no idea how anyone could have ever listened to the album in stereo it was made for surround.

Really like this a lot. I originally purchased the Audio Fidelity Stereo SACD, but was underwhelmed. Just got the Wilson mixed CTTE today and - WOW love it! Very clean and love how I can hear the instruments separated. Steven has a real knack for surround (clearly no surprise) while maintaining the essence of the original mixes. A 10 for me!

Much people give this mix a 10/10.

10/10 is for me the best of the best ..... reference. Is it really?

In first time I was very angry. I heard it loud, but there was only a small dynamic and my subwoofer was without work. Friendly I say 7,5 / 10 Now you are able to do me stony ones.

In first time I was very angry. I heard it loud, but there was only a small dynamic and my subwoofer was without work. Friendly I say 7,5 / 10 Now you are able to do me stony ones.

You're not on your own. I've been a Yes fan for over 35 years and know CTTE inside out and I also have some significant doubts about the mix. I need to listen to it several more times before rating as I want to be sure about what I'm hearing but it's not a 10 in my book.

I really don't see that all here giving 10 points.
Compare it to Moondance or Nonsuch.

But nearly 50 %

I must heard a complete other production like them.

:mad:@:

Well I also think, that it could have done better, but as I mentioned it is the source of Yes music. The sound is not overwhelming on their 70s productions, where the most 70s releases of other bands have a warm and fat sound.
Steven Wilson has a difficult job to do, about this recordings as they are full of sounds. Everything is happening at the same time (git, thousand voices, keys, bass). All members of Yes are equal important. They all want to be heard really well.

Yes is my second band of all time behind Genesis. But I never loved Yes for their record sound.
So I should not have too high expectations in the 5.1 releases. But perhaps another Yes 5.1 releases will suprise me in a good way.

I have rated with a 9. As for the pure product I had given an 8, but it is YES ;).

But in the end it is always the same. Everyone has his own opinion, and I like it that way. :)

Well I also think, that it could have done better, but as I mentioned it is the source of Yes music. The sound is not overwhelming on their 70s productions, where the most 70s releases of other bands have a warm and fat sound.
Steven Wilson has a difficult job to do, about this recordings as they are full of sounds. Everything is happening at the same time (git, thousand voices, keys, bass). All members of Yes are equal important. They all want to be heard really well.

Yes is my second band of all time behind Genesis. But I never loved Yes for their record sound.
So I should not have too high expectations in the 5.1 releases. But perhaps another Yes 5.1 releases will suprise me in a good way.

I have rated with a 9. As for the pure product I had given an 8, but it is YES ;).

But in the end it is always the same. Everyone has his own opinion, and I like it that way. :)

I agree that everyone has his (or her) own opinion and that is the way it should be.

I gave CTTE a 10, but I did find it difficult to rate. My initial thoughts were of disappointment. I have to admit that it didn't wow me like the King Crimson releases on first listen. Also, I didn't think there were many moments of "I haven't noticed that before" on this disc. I think my expectations were too high. However, after playing this a number of times, and at varying volumes, I reached the decision that, hey, this is my favourite album, I've never heard this better, and the sound and overall package are excellent. The sound in terms of quality and separation is, in my opinion, up there with the best. If I had never heard this album before this disc, I speculate that this would have been a 10 for me immediately. It was only my knowing this album inside out that held me back initially.

As IMachine quite rightly says, how much you like the actual music definitely gives some weighting to your vote. For this reason I gave Nonsuch a 9 and not a 10. There is no arguing with the superb quality of that disc, but I just don't like the music as much as I like CTTE.

I agree that everyone has his (or her) own opinion and that is the way it should be.

I gave CTTE a 10, but I did find it difficult to rate. My initial thoughts were of disappointment. I have to admit that it didn't wow me like the King Crimson releases on first listen. Also, I didn't think there were many moments of "I haven't noticed that before" on this disc. I think my expectations were too high. However, after playing this a number of times, and at varying volumes, I reached the decision that, hey, this is my favourite album, I've never heard this better, and the sound and overall package are excellent. The sound in terms of quality and separation is, in my opinion, up there with the best. If I had never heard this album before this disc, I speculate that this would have been a 10 for me immediately. It was only my knowing this album inside out that held me back initially.

As IMachine quite rightly says, how much you like the actual music definitely gives some weighting to your vote. For this reason I gave Nonsuch a 9 and not a 10. There is no arguing with the superb quality of that disc, but I just don't like the music as much as I like CTTE.

I always try to rate a disc for it's surround sound, because that is what the forum is about.
But sometimes.....I cannot because I love a band too much. ;).

I think when we all would rate really only the sound, the poll chart would look different.

I always try to rate a disc for it's surround sound, because that is what the forum is about.
But sometimes.....I cannot because I love a band too much. ;).

I think when we all would rate really only the sound, the poll chart would look different.

I agree, but not long ago one of the main men on here published the guidance criteria for voting, which included some weighting for the music itself. I think this sparked some debate! I can't find this thread at the moment, I know its around here somewhere!!

I agree, but not long ago one of the main men on here published the guidance criteria for voting, which included some weighting for the music itself. I think this sparked some debate! I can't find this thread at the moment, I know its around here somewhere!!

Yes. I know this thread.
But there are so many music forums out there.
I try to take this one (that I really love) as a special one.

For me the votings are most interesting for people, who are new to surround (as a guide to what to buy first) and for us who don't know a release (as a guide to what to buy next) :)

I really don't need a voting on music for bands like Yes or Genesis or Steely dan...the most will know about it.

Yes. I know this thread.
I really don't need a voting on music for bands like Yes or Genesis or Steely dan...the most will know about it.

Yes

So i hope the ratings show me not the quality of the music performance, that I often know or I can hear it over deezer, spotify, napster etc. ..... I am interested for the quality of the surround mix.

Yes. I know this thread.
But there are so many music forums out there.
I try to take this one (that I really love) as a special one.

For me the votings are most interesting for people, who are new to surround (as a guide to what to buy first) and for us who don't know a release (as a guide to what to buy next) :)

I agree, I agree, I'm just playing by the rules so as not to upset the man :smoking! Well I don't vote completely by the rules, which I think included a too large weighting of 30% (if I remember correctly) for the music. Its a very difficult subject, because, even if the rules weren't there, we must all be subconsciously swayed by what we think of the actual music.

The votes are useful as you say, as I have bought many things by checking on this wonderful site first, both for the votes and the thread comments.

Its Friday :banana:

I agree, I agree, I'm just playing by the rules so as not to upset the man :smoking! ...... :banana:

Fear not, they are merely guidelines. The polls started with them many years ago, so changing in mid-stream is not good. When the polls started, 5.1 releases were coming out regularly on SACD and DVD-A, and these discs were in the stores, easily found at places like Best Buy, Media Play, etc., so each release was not an "event" like it is now! :)

Vote your ears!

Back