Music DVD Poll ELO (Electric Light Orchestra): Zoom Tour Live

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "ELO - Zoom Tour Live"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Mix, content, graphics & Video

• 1 - Complete Waste of Plastic. Avoid.

• Total voters
Picked this up for less that £7 not long after it was released. This has a very nice 5.1 mix very complimentary to the music. The picture quality is very good, not much in the way of extras though.
If you love ELO's music you will not be dissappointed. Shame its only Jeff Lynne and Richard Tandy left from the original band.
Love the fire extingusher during Mr Blue Sky

I only gave it a 9 (instead of a 10) for the following reasons:
1. It's a live recording (and I'm partial to studio recordings with aggressive surround mixes)
2. If you're a purist when it comes to classic bands, there are only two original ELO members. If you're not a purist, then the fact that one of them is Jeff Lynne is all that matters. The other is Richard Tandy who does a great job.

Other than that, I think this is an awesome disc. First of all, the surround mix is VERY nice. Watching the credits I wasn't surprised to find that it was mixed by Elliot Scheiner. I like Scheiner's live surround mixes because he doesn't leave the rear speakers to just audience - he puts instruments back there. In this case, the cellos and electric guitar are often back there.

Don't let me forget to mention that it has a DTS layer!

Lastly, if you agree with me that the material from the "Zoom" CD holds up to the classic '70s-'80s ELO, then you'll like this disc top to bottom. Other than seven songs from "Zoom", they perform nothing but classic ELO. Plus they pulled out the gorgeous "One Summer Dream" from Face The Music that managed to escape mass attention back in the day.

Oh - one more thing - Gregg and Matt Bissonette on drums and bass.

You can get this really cheap, too. Enjoy!!!

Paul

Having actually played the disc now I am delighted with it! The surround mix is brill, the performance is brill, and I agree that the women on stage are very nice indeed.

What superb value for under a fiver...

Picked this up at Tower for $11.99 (Borders had it for $24.99:confused: )- great Elliot Scheiner 5.1 DTS mix - tremendous performance by the band - the camera work is OK - nothing too flashy. The pretty blonde next to Jeff Lynn (a bit distracting - though easy on the eyes!) is Rosie Vela, who, back in the eighties was a fairly well known fashion model. She recorded an album for A&M, "Zazu" - sort of Joni Mitchell meets Steely Dan- which was produced by Steely Dan producer Gary Katz and featured session work by Donald Fagen and Walter Becker (sort of an un-official SD reunion at the time). Another interesting note is that the album was mixed by Elliot Scheiner. She pretty much disappeared from the music scene after that - so it is quite interesting see her so prominently featured in this reincarnation of ELO - almost 15 years later. All in all a great find - I give it a 9 - the performances are so right on that it can easily double as a legitimate 5.1 version of ELO's greatest hits -with some new material from their latest "Zoom" thrown in.(y)

I don't think they married, and I believe they aren't an item any more. I'm on the ELO Showdown mail list, so I don't have a link.

An 8.
-2 for only having Richard Tandy as "ELO".
Good song selection (although too many from "Zoom" ....yuck!)
Love all the women onstage, but the Bisonette bros, although technically proficient, look and sound ...BORED OUT OF THEIR SKULLS!!! Which brings me doooown...GROSSS!!!
The mix is not too outstanding , but there are elements int he rear...
Besides , now you can get it CHEAP!

I only gave it a 9 (instead of a 10) for the following reasons:
1. It's a live recording (and I'm partial to studio recordings with aggressive surround mixes)
2. If you're a purist when it comes to classic bands, there are only two original ELO members. If you're not a purist, then the fact that one of them is Jeff Lynne is all that matters. The other is Richard Tandy who does a great job.

Other than that, I think this is an awesome disc. First of all, the surround mix is VERY nice. Watching the credits I wasn't surprised to find that it was mixed by Elliot Scheiner. I like Scheiner's live surround mixes because he doesn't leave the rear speakers to just audience - he puts instruments back there. In this case, the cellos and electric guitar are often back there.

Don't let me forget to mention that it has a DTS layer!

Lastly, if you agree with me that the material from the "Zoom" CD holds up to the classic '70s-'80s ELO, then you'll like this disc top to bottom. Other than seven songs from "Zoom", they perform nothing but classic ELO. Plus they pulled out the gorgeous "One Summer Dream" from Face The Music that managed to escape mass attention back in the day.

Oh - one more thing - Gregg and Matt Bissonette on drums and bass.

You can get this really cheap, too. Enjoy!!!

Paul

I don't really see how the purest thing relates to ELO considering the first album only had three members (Jeff Lynne, Roy Wood and Bev Bevan). As we know Roy Wood quit after the first album. Too me There are some bands like The Beatles, Led Zepplin and Queen that should not exist outside original line-up. I have always seen Jeff Lynne to be ELO and only he and Bevan are original members.

I don't really see how the purest thing relates to ELO considering the first album only had three members (Jeff Lynne, Roy Wood and Bev Bevan). As we know Roy Wood quit after the first album. Too me There are some bands like The Beatles, Led Zepplin and Queen that should not exist outside original line-up. I have always seen Jeff Lynne to be ELO and only he and Bevan are original members.

I agree completely - I'm now trying to remember what I was thinking eight years ago when I wrote that, and I guess there might be some people who would have liked to see an ELO DVD with the lineup from their heyday: Bev Bevan, Kelly Groucutt, Mik Kaminski, Hugh McDowell, Melvyn Gale.

I agree completely - I'm now trying to remember what I was thinking eight years ago when I wrote that, and I guess there might be some people who would have liked to see an ELO DVD with the lineup from their heyday: Bev Bevan, Kelly Groucutt, Mik Kaminski, Hugh McDowell, Melvyn Gale.

Bev seems content nowadays to trade on The Move name playing with Trevor Burton.

Guess I'm late to the game!

What part of Ohio you from Dr Simple? One of my favorite bands is from Toledo!

Bev seems content nowadays to trade on The Move name playing with Trevor Burton.

I don't have a problem with Bev trying to make an honest living , just don't see ELO part 2 or the Move with no Roy Wood to be honest.

Back