HiRez Poll Meatloaf - BAT OUT OF HELL (5.1) [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Meatloaf - BAT OUT OF HELL

• Total voters
Yep apparently there is a Stereo only SACD...........and that why it is scaring me to order from Amazon.

One popped on Ebay today but they said it was Stereo only SACD http://www.ebay.com/itm/221369451983?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

with the seller even stating This is the Sony SACD (Super Audio CD) Stereo version of the Meatloaf's Bat Out Of Hell album. This is a rare and out of print SACD stereo disc which utilizes Sony's Direct Stream Digital recording process.

I even asked the seller.

In fact I think even in this thread someone mentions it too............I think Jon alludes to it also by saying the 5.1 version

I also notice the code on the stereo listing is is ES 34974 you can see it on the cd if u zoom in - but notice a couple other listinsg on Ebay saying there's is ES 24974 hmmmm??

Different Cat. No. That one is ES 34974.....and doesn't have the Multichannel logo...

Look for one with Cat. No. ES 62171..

Thanks Lizard :banana:

Wondering what the diff of the 349 and 249 might be on the Ebay listings hmmmmm?

Has me even scared to order it off amazon - without actually asking the seller.

The stereo has a silver slip cover, the 5.1 has a gold slip cover. I might have both. I will check and see, and if so, will scan.

Awesome Kooness thanks Jon

I added front/back/side scans of both the stereo and 5.1 issue to Post #1 of this thread!

(Just noticed that this title is one of the few that has votes in all 10 selections!) :mad:@:

I've noticed that there are a lot of Poll Threads that I've yet to vote in with a lot of discs. I'm going to have to break out those discs and have a re-listen before I vote.

For this one, under the circumstance of the original Master(s), it should be taken in consideration when voting.

What? That stereo one is a redbook CD and the catalog number is for a redbook CD too.

Hey Frank, You are so right.

I decided to open this disc (ugh!) to see what the deal was. Sure enough, it WAS an SACD, but is was in a CD JEWEL CASE with the CD Logo and all! What a hoot. Inside there was a little square Sony promo paper proclaiming that SACD was the greatest and CD was yesterday's news.

The catalog number on the actual SACD was ES 34974, with the proper prefix.

My copy was either a very early release, or they never bothered to print up jewel case graphics with the ES number and without the CD Logo.

SONY, no baloney! :)

Meatloaf Scan 600.jpg

The O'Jays SACD is like this also isn't it, slipcase with correct info, then a std CD jewel case... No wonder people get confused...:howl

My OJays has the right case. Here's what the Bat Out Of Hell one looks like, sort of anyway, if you can see it through the blurriness.

Attachments

• bat_spine_back.jpg
    bat_spine_back.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 138
I'm surprised there were quite a few Sony discs that were released separately in both "Stereo" and "Multi-Channel / Stereo". I'm sure happy I have the Multi-Channel / Stereo version.

That is due to SACD being a Stereo only format when it was first introduced. Multichannel SACDs came later with the Philips SACD-1000 being the first Multichannel/Stereo SACD player for consumers.

That is due to SACD being a Stereo only format when it was first introduced. Multichannel SACDs came later with the Philips SACD-1000 being the first Multichannel/Stereo SACD player for consumers.

I remember the time but it was never just a Stereo Only format. I remember, it was only a short few months between the Stereo only and Multi-Channel releases.

WOW thanks Jon, Super Awesome info Thaaaaaaaaank You. The Multi Channel Version, I dunno if I have even seen that back cover before on any ebay listing, but will be scouting it out.........reasonable price only though :rolleyes:

Sorry you decided to open one of them :(

Thank You Again :banana:

I remember the time but it was never just a Stereo Only format. I remember, it was only a short few months between the Stereo only and Multi-Channel releases.

Not exactly. I remember distinctly that SACD was a stereo-only product at first. In fact, my boss at the time was all impressed as he had just purchased a Sony SACD player that was over $1000, stereo only, and was waiting to get a DVD-Audio player when they came out. As DVD-A was delayed a bit at launch, the players were as well. Once it was clear that DVD-A was in fact coming to market, Sony decided to combat that format by adding 5.1 ability to their SACD, which was doable from the start.

Unfortunately for those folks like my boss who shelled out for those high priced SACD stereo-only machines, they would have to get another machine to play 5.1 SACDs. He was totally pissed off.

Universal players were a few years away. Ah, the good old days! :mad:@:

Ah, I remember them well.

Back