HiRez Poll Orbison, Roy - BLACK & WHITE NIGHT [SACD/DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD/DVD-A/BDA of Roy Orbison - BLACK AND WHITE NIGHT

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
I have to admit I have usually put the DVD in so I could see this great concert. For some reason I had forgotten that it comes with a multichannel SACD. I put it in to my Oppo tonight and all I can say is: Wow! Amazingly clean, discreet, and well balanced disc. That Elliot Scheiner and Bob Ludwig both work their magic on this one. Too bad like most OOP HiRez its going for megabucks.

I have to admit I have usually put the DVD in so I could see this great concert. For some reason I had forgotten that it comes with a multichannel SACD. I put it in to my Oppo tonight and all I can say is: Wow! Amazingly clean, discreet, and well balanced disc. That Elliot Scheiner and Bob Ludwig both work their magic on this one. Too bad like most OOP HiRez its going for megabucks.

There is a blu ray version done at 96/24 that is just as good as any sacd/dvd audio. A BD that's 96 is a rarity. They are usually 48hz.
It's a shame that more music can't be offered on (almost) every format like this title was.

This is a delightful disc (DVD-A). Wonderful sound and surround mix. Fabulous band and guest stars. And Roy sounds terrific performing some of his best and most iconic songs. What's not to love? 10

This is a title that I bought a few years back with a bunch of others when I got my first BluRay player. Although I had unwrapped it, I got distracted, put it in the rack and forgot about it as I was never really a Roy Orbison fan. (I have his Greatest Hits and Travelling Wilburys.) So I was going through the stack last night and said to myself, "Oh yea, I should probably check out this one." I must have been totally insane for not doing so sooner. This performance is so good as to border on absurd. Everything that I had heard before by Roy Orbison were studio recordings and I had no idea that he had such a powerful live voice as demonstrated in this BluRay. I mean, the guy can belt it out with barely moving his mouth; and then when he does open up it's incredible.

Oh, and the discreet Elliot Scheiner mix as noted above was another shocker for me. Performance - 10, Content - 10, Sound -10, Mix - 10, Video Quality is so, so, but it doesn't matter.

You might want to get this one if you haven't done so already.

This is a title that I bought a few years back with a bunch of others when I got my first BluRay player. Although I had unwrapped it, I got distracted, put it in the rack and forgot about it as I was never really a Roy Orbison fan. (I have his Greatest Hits and Travelling Wilburys.) So I was going through the stack last night and said to myself, "Oh yea, I should probably check out this one." I must have been totally insane for not doing so sooner. This performance is so good as to border on absurd. Everything that I had heard before by Roy Orbison were studio recordings and I had no idea that he had such a powerful live voice as demonstrated in this BluRay. I mean, the guy can belt it out with barely moving his mouth; and then when he does open up it's incredible.

Oh, and the discreet Elliot Scheiner mix as noted above was another shocker for me. Performance - 10, Content - 10, Sound -10, Mix - 10, Video Quality is so, so, but it doesn't matter.

You might want to get this one if you haven't done so already.

Same here - I had my copy for quite a while before I watched it...Clint had told me it was killer...and he was right. It's simply excellent!

Anyone looking for this title and does not want to pay Amazon.com's ridiculous prices ( $58 Used, $185 New). Check out grooves-inc.com. I just orderd a copy and paid $14.97 with shipping. It was listed as blu-ray region free. I hope it's the real thing. Whish me luck.

Somehow this one had flown beneath my radar all these years. But I recently noticed its very high placing on the high res poll and grabbed a cheap copy on eBay. Holy crap! This one is fantastic, even by Eliot Scheiner standards. The two live Bowie discs had always been my favorite 5.1 mixes of a live album, but this eclipses those. Insanely discrete separation with lots of stuff isolated to the rear channels while still maintaining the feel of a live gig. Roy is in fantastic voice. His backup band is amazing, I'm sure they will all have promising careers of their own someday! :D This one is a must-own and still available at reasonable prices. An easy 10.

Can anyone say for sure that this newer edition has the same Scheiner 5.1 mix as the earlier SACD? There's nothing in the booklet that indicates this. Thanks. 1612718759388.png

Can anyone say for sure that this newer edition has the same Scheiner 5.1 mix as the earlier SACD? There's nothing in the booklet that indicates this. Thanks. View attachment 62804
I read this on a review of the 30th: "The original Blu-ray's ham-handed mix, which placed the background singers bright, hard and too loud in the surround speakers, has been replaced with a far more subtle and sophisticated mix" I was able to pick up the original with the Sacd for 10 bucks recently.

Back