Dual Disc Comprehensive DualDisc Listing from "sukothai"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I'm a little embarrassed to even admit I purchased this but.... in my quest to acquire cheap surround discs I ordered a copy of Jessica Simpson In This Skin. It was listed as a Dualdisc, but I don't think it's surround. It's new and I don't want to open it if it's not surround because I'll try to unload it on Ebay, but the DVD features are Jessica and Nick's Wedding and Newlyweds: Scenes from the First Season.... :( Were there multiple dualdisc releases of this title? Some with surround content and some with wedding videos?

You'd better vote :D:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?4764-Jessica-Simpson-In-This-Skin-(DualDisc)

does your rear inlay look like this dr8track?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 253
ah that's unfortunate :( its like other Sony BMG titles like the Omarion "O", in that there was a CD + DVD combo with video extras and stuff on the separate bonus DVD but not the 5.1 mix which was only on the flippin' DualDisc flipper.. :mad:@:

and here's the rear (all tracks in 5.1 on the DVD side, videos for some) I haven't listened closely yet but when I do I'll post with info on the mixes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 253
I posted this in another section here, but thought this might be a better place for it.

Toby Keith - Shock'n Y'all is listed as DVD Audio with 48khz/24bit Advanced resolution sound, and 96/24 for Advanced resolution stereo. It is also listed as DVD Video with Dolby surround and stereo. So I assume this is like a lot of dvds made to be playabe in any dvd player, since it has both surround formats.

I posted this in another section here, but thought this might be a better place for it.

Toby Keith - Shock'n Y'all is listed as DVD Audio with 48khz/24bit Advanced resolution sound, and 96/24 for Advanced resolution stereo. It is also listed as DVD Video with Dolby surround and stereo. So I assume this is like a lot of dvds made to be playabe in any dvd player, since it has both surround formats.

AFAIK, Universal re-released a few SACD Surround titles on DualDisc format (all with DVD-A layers) including Toby Keith, Lee Ann Womack, Keane, Snow Patrol, 3 Doors Down, Jamie Cullum, Diana Krall.

I have all of those except Jamie Cullum, Snow Patrol (heard there was a big difference between SACD and dualdisc), and Diana Krall (I have 4 of hers on SACD). For some reason most of the dualdiscs resolution is limited at the 48/24 for the surround mix. I have 2 Three Doors Down on dualdisc, both fromUniversal /Republic Records both from 2005, but Away FromThe Sun is just surround in Dolby, like a regular dvd. Seventeen Days is actually a dvd audio (like Toby Keith) but again limited to the 48/24 in surround. Generally speaking most of the dualdiscs are 48/24 or plain Dolby. There is a clear step up from the Dolby to the dvd audio of 48/24 and then of course to 96/24 or SACD. As far as being the same mixes as SACD or regular stand alone dvd audio, I dont know as I only own one copy of each disc at the moment. There are some dualdisc releases that are true 96/24 dvd audio, like Grateful Dead American Beauty, but these seem to be the exception, unfortunately.

...but Away From The Sun is just surround in Dolby, like a regular dvd...

My dualdisc 3 Doors Down "Away From The Sun" is 96/24 DVD-A. The back panel of the cover does not mention DVD-Audio, but the fold out insert inside has both the DVD-Audio and MLP logos printed at the bottom when you fold it out.

3DoorsDown_AFTS.jpg

I just checked mine and it is the same. Wonder why they hid that? What's worse is why is one lossless and one at 48/24?

They both use MLP; so they are both lossless. The difference is only that one is sampled at a higher bitrate of 96K vs 48K. To me, the sample size is more important than the bitrate anyway and they are both using a 24 bit sample size. I haven't done a critical comparison of these, but I would expect all else being equal, it is very difficult to detect a difference between 96/24 and 48/24. The 48K/24bit MLP version should sound much better than the CD quality 44.1K/16bit. I should have a chance tomorrow to test this.

As for why they hid the info, I think this is just another example of ineptitude in the marketing of DVD-Audio.

I have the Toby Keith Dualdisc Shock'n Y'all and the format is 24 bit/ 48 khz. It doesn't state lossless anywhere, so assuming it is not. So what is the quality difference between this resolution and lossless and the SACD version, and how noticable is it?

I have the Toby Keith Dualdisc Shock'n Y'all and the format is 24 bit/ 48 khz. It doesn't state lossless anywhere, so assuming it is not. So what is the quality difference between this resolution and lossless and the SACD version, and how noticable is it?
Not that it is definitive but the Amazon.com listing says it is Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (lossless). Does your player display any info?

Back