VIDEO COLLECTION DVD's with true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Icehouse (Originally know as Flowers): White Heat: 30 Hits

This is a 3 disc set (2 x CD + DVD). The DVD contains a good 5.1 mix but only DD AC3 448kbps - still nice to hear some of their Aussie classic hits in surround including Great Southern Land

Still available retail here: http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/pop-rock/white-heat-30-hits/652180

With an uncompromising approach to music production they created songs that ranged from pure pop escapism to edgy, lavish synthesised pieces. Icehouse has produced eight Top Ten albums and twenty Top Forty singles in Australia, multiple top ten hits in Europe and North America and album sales of over 28 times Platinum in Australasia alone. As of 2006, 'Man of Colours' was still the highest selling album in Australia by an Australian band.

[* said:
INXS - I'm Only Looking - The Essential INXS (Dolby 2.0, 5.1; DTS) (great one. Get the 2-disc version - every last bit on here is in discrete DTS and it's all cool.)
QUOTE]

Have just given this a good listen, it is not discrete at all, there is just ambient reverb in the rear channels for most tracks, the centre channel is poorly utilised for most tracks. A wide stereo effect is reasonably achieved in about half the tracks, i.e. an improvement on listening in stereo only, everything from their Kick album onwards is definitely better sounding. Occasional panning gives the illusion of discrete elements. I am sure it is an upmix.

After some careful listening i can say the Dru hill is a fake upmix. I am sure of this, not a true 5.1 mix.

Anyone heard the TLC collection yet?

Here are some video collection DVDs that claim to be 5.1. The surround mixes range from average to terrible.

10,000 Maniacs - Time Capsule: Filmed 1982-1993
Beastie Boys - Video Anthology: The Criterion Collection
Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Volume III: The Videos
Bob Marley - Legend: The Very Best Of Bob Marley & The Wailers
Brandy - The Videos
Britney Spears - Britney: The Videos
Britney Spears - Time Out With Britney Spears
Celine Dion - All The Way: A Decade Of Song & Video
Destiny's Child - The Platinum's On The Wall
Enigma - Love, Sensuality, Devotion: The Greatest Hits
Extreme - Videograffitti: The Definitive DVD
Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (Special 2010 Asian Tour Edition Bonus DVD)
Justin Timberlake: Justified: The Videos
New Kids On The Block - Greatest Hits: The Videos
R. Kelly - The R. In R&B: The Video Collection
Ricky Martin - The Ricky Martin Video Collection
Stone Temple Pilots - Thank You (Special Edition Bonus DVD)
The Police - Every Breath You Take: The DVD
Will Smith - The Will Smith Music Video Collection
ZZ Top - Greatest Hits: The Video Collection

Will smith is real, although the quality of the mixes can vary. Music in rears is very low but is there on some tracks.
The Police has real DTS 5.1 mixes.
Beastie boys has one track with a true 5.1 mix, the rest are useless.

I would like to hear the Brandy, Green Day, Stone Temple and Justin Timberlake ones. Savage Garden claims to be in DD 51 as well. Not heard those yet.

Will smith is real, although the quality of the mixes can vary. Music in rears is very low but is there on some tracks.
The Police has real DTS 5.1 mixes.
Beastie boys has one track with a true 5.1 mix, the rest are useless.

I would like to hear the Brandy, Green Day, Stone Temple and Justin Timberlake ones. Savage Garden claims to be in DD 51 as well. Not heard those yet.

Pretty sure I have the Savage Garden and it's an upmix, I'll check over the w/end.

Yeah I got Anastacia and was disappointed (but not surprised!) when it turned out to be pants. Love that woman.

Her voice is amazing. Shame this was not real 5.1 The concert she has out on DVD is not even 5.1! Just an LPCM 2.0 track.

After some careful listening i can say the Dru hill is a fake upmix. I am sure of this, not a true 5.1 mix.

Anyone heard the TLC collection yet?

iirc there was some genuine TLC surround remixed stuff at one point. I seem to remember having Waterfalls on a DVD-V single that was in discrete 5.1 (I'll have a nose thru over wkend.)

Her voice is amazing. Shame this was not real 5.1 The concert she has out on DVD is not even 5.1! Just an LPCM 2.0 track.

All my life I've been waiting for a fairytale to come my way over my left shoulder! It'd probably just be the usual concert mix though it is a bloody shame! :howl:ugham:

[* said:
INXS - I'm Only Looking - The Essential INXS (Dolby 2.0, 5.1; DTS) (great one. Get the 2-disc version - every last bit on here is in discrete DTS and it's all cool.)
QUOTE]

Have just given this a good listen, it is not discrete at all, there is just ambient reverb in the rear channels for most tracks, the centre channel is poorly utilised for most tracks. A wide stereo effect is reasonably achieved in about half the tracks, i.e. an improvement on listening in stereo only, everything from their Kick album onwards is definitely better sounding. Occasional panning gives the illusion of discrete elements. I am sure it is an upmix.

Hey Time Lord! That is so weird. This is such a great set to my ears. The next time I sit down to give this a spin, I will pay close attention (will be a few weeks though, I'll be in Germany for a while). I actually love that DVD set for the sound, and even though the mixes aren't the best in the world, I like them a lot as well and think they do a very good job. That said, it's 4-channel as previously discussed on numerous threads on this board. The only time they use center channel is for the interviews and I think some stuff on disc 2.

Play - Playin' Around World
Korn - Deuce
Jessica Simpson - Dream Chaser

There are 2 versions of Do Do.....The 86 remake that is on the SACD and DTS disc. The version on the DVD is the original but to my ears sound like an upmix

Ah, that's what I was expecting.

Forgot to add this to the thread:

Freddie Mercury - The Video Collection

Dolby Digital 5.1, most if not all are true 5.1 mixes of varying quality. "Time" is the standout mix, it's nothing short of fantastic. All other mixes are quite enjoyable as well. Sound is very good throughout and all the music is, well, it's Freddie Mercury. You gotta love it.

I can confirm the Brandy video collection has fake 5.1 mixes. I received title today from Lovefilm. Definitely NOT true mixes. OK sound, mastered loud but very clear vocals. This is like double stereo if you know what i mean. Same in every speaker.

Forgot to add this to the thread:

Freddie Mercury - The Video Collection

Dolby Digital 5.1, most if not all are true 5.1 mixes of varying quality. "Time" is the standout mix, it's nothing short of fantastic. All other mixes are quite enjoyable as well. Sound is very good throughout and all the music is, well, it's Freddie Mercury. You gotta love it.

Iirc there was a later Freddie DVD compilation of his video's (not the one with predominantly orange cover, which came out same time as the remastered Mr.Bad Guy & Barcelona CD set & big 10-disc box set) but another compilation. I never got it, so no idea what it's like but it's probably just a reissue of the 1st DVD-V comp.

Back