Soundgarden Superunknown box set coming with 5.1 mix on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried out the DTS Headphone Sample of "Spoonman", and I didn't care for it all, mostly because the sound seemed to be very low-res to me, almost like 128kbps mp3 or worse…

Also it seems to me after listening to the opening demo and then "Spoonman" right after it that the DTS Headphone sound is better at showcasing height but horrible when it comes to depth, and that's kind of what surround is all about, giving depth to a mix that goes beyond what standard 2-channel stereo can provide.

If you like the DTS headphone experience however and you live in the US, you're in luck as Best Buy are selling a 2CD edition of "Superunknown" with the full DTS Headphone album included as well. You can find it here

Hello
Received this yesterday and have played the Blu 5.1 twice,and I love it! The only songs I've heard before are Spoonman and Blackhole Sun.I did'nt even know it was a 2 lp set back in the day.it's not a very disctreet mix,but There's a lot of guitar
in the rears.The sound is ballsy with tight bass and drums and the vocals are very clear.I tried the TrueHD but it was very
loud,so I went for the DTS MA and it was more to my liking.This will be on heavy rotation in my music/film room. :cool:
I don't think there's a bad song on this album , in my opinion.

Regards

As soon as I saw the mastering credit, I knew this would be loud and compressed! Stephen Marcussen; damn you!

Another victim of the loudness wars. 5.1 mixes are not great either.

Well, those of us hoping the stereo mix on the Blu-ray might be dynamically intact will be sad to hear it's just as bad as King Animal.

foobar2000 1.1.11 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2014-06-03 12:41:32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Unknown Artist / ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR5 -0.10 dB -6.52 dB 3:55 ?-Chapter 01
DR6 -0.17 dB -7.67 dB 5:12 ?-Chapter 02
DR6 -0.16 dB -8.04 dB 4:43 ?-Chapter 03
DR5 -0.15 dB -6.46 dB 4:26 ?-Chapter 04
DR5 -0.17 dB -6.65 dB 5:08 ?-Chapter 05
DR6 -0.17 dB -7.79 dB 6:09 ?-Chapter 06
DR6 -0.14 dB -8.25 dB 5:19 ?-Chapter 07
DR5 -0.17 dB -6.68 dB 4:07 ?-Chapter 08
DR5 -0.11 dB -7.25 dB 5:48 ?-Chapter 09
DR6 -0.19 dB -8.28 dB 5:20 ?-Chapter 10
DR6 -0.13 dB -6.87 dB 1:34 ?-Chapter 11
DR7 -0.15 dB -7.89 dB 4:17 ?-Chapter 12
DR6 -0.20 dB -7.18 dB 5:09 ?-Chapter 13
DR8 -0.19 dB -10.45 dB 2:13 ?-Chapter 14
DR6 -0.13 dB -7.90 dB 7:05 ?-Chapter 15
DR6 -0.19 dB -7.69 dB 3:17 ?-Chapter 16

Number of tracks: 16
Official DR value: DR6

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 4608 kbps
Codec: PCM

DISGRACEFUL!

I am pretty pissed off right now! What a wasted opportunity. Brick walled. Weak mixes. Expensive. Damn.

Hey hey, why you are so frustrated about compression on this one.
Don't forget it is a slamming rock album!
It has to be more compressed than other styles of music.

WOW. No it does not at at all. Compression is not needed, just let the natural dynamics flow. This Blu Ray is terrible. truly atrocious.

You heard the 5.1 mix already?

Yes Box set was this morning by Amazon UK!

I have listened to it all the way through twice(although it hurt my ears), to get an honest perspective. It is the worst sounding Blu Ray I have ever heard, in fact one of the worst sounding 5.1 discs I have ever heard. NO dynamics whatsoever, I will not be keeping it, it is that bad! I can't stand it, horrible, horrible sound. I tell you no lie.

Yes Box set was this morning by Amazon UK!

I have listened to it all the way through twice(although it hurt my ears), to get an honest perspective. It is the worst sounding Blu Ray I have ever heard, in fact one of the worst sounding 5.1 discs I have ever heard. NO dynamics whatsoever, I will not be keeping it, it is that bad! I can't stand it, horrible, horrible sound. I tell you no lie.

Oh noooooo

This should be my birthday present.... :(.
I hope the PF release will be good.

What I am really looking forward to is the SACD of Roger Waters.
I'm sure this will be a killer release. :)

I've canceled mine too. It is too expensive and the reviews are mixed at best.

Mixed? Who said it was OK? Seriously BY ANY STANDARD, it is horrible.

Hello
Well I still love this BluRay:) I do not measure the music,I listen to it.Played it for the 3. time today,and it did not hurt my ears.It must be my modest setup and my old ears.Love the mix and love the songs.Nice videos for the songs,too.
If I want dynamics I play some classical,1812 overture,perhaps?

Hello
Well I still love this BluRay:) I do not measure the music,I listen to it.Played it for the 3. time today,and it did not hurt my ears.It must be my modest setup and my old ears.Love the mix and love the songs.Nice videos for the songs,too.
If I want dynamics I play some classical,1812 overture,perhaps?
Enjoy the music and mix. It is a bit Brain Salad Surgery all over again, althought that critism was more mix related than fidelity.

As with BSS, the reactions are a bit over the top IMO. Artists and mixers do not owe us anything. If a mix or SQ is bad, is it disappointing, but things like that happen.

bhs_zps5447e18b.jpg

Back