Beatles "Hard Days Night" on Critierion DVD/BluRay with Giles Martin 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, here is a link to a Giles Martin Sound and Vision interview where he discusses Beatles 5.1-channel albums versus mixing for a movie soundtrack.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/giles-martin-mixing-beatles-hard-days-night-surround-sound

I'd have to agree that The White Album (aka The Beatles) would be a great album in 5.1. The few White Album songs I've heard in 5.1 are beyond words at times - particularly Dear Prudence. The backing vocals coming out of the rear speakers makes it one of the best sounding tracks in surround.

Last edited:
Here is a nice summation of the frame rates from the SH forums:

The film was mostly shot at 24 fps, standard for film.

For those segments involving filming the studio television monitors, the film cameras operated at 25 fps to match the 50Hz monitors. Otherwise there would be visible rolling interference seen on the monitors. This would then be played at 24 fps in the theater, with the result that the video and audio is 4% slower and lower in pitch. I believe this includes all of the stage performances.

For blu ray and US DVD, the video is shown at 24 fps, same as in the theater, with stage performances slowed.

For UK DVD the video is sped up to 25 fps to comply with the PAL 50Hz standard. The 25 fps segments (the stage performances) then play at the natural speed, since that is how they were filmed. The rest of the 24 fps movie appears 4% faster in movement and audio.

Has anyone watched the UK DVD? It would be nice to have the correct performance speeds for the TV sequences but not at the expense of the rest of the film running fast!

Stopped by the local B&N today to take a look at the article but even though the store inventory showed 5 Blu-ray (at $35.99) and 5 DVD in stock none could be found by either me or the two store employees who looked for them. How odd. Funny how the packaging looks just like VHS tapes.

Attachments

• hdn_in_box.jpg
    hdn_in_box.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 291
So there is still an NTSC V PAL divide in BluRay? I'm obviously a little slow off the mark with this. I overlooked this when I saw it available on Amazon.ca. I suppose I will buy the PAL version as well, later. Are there any other releases where this similar problem may occur?

Amazing how such a spectacular rendering of one of the most influential movies in music history (if not the most!) can be so mired down in discussions over frame rates and packaging :rolleyes:

So there is still an NTSC V PAL divide in BluRay? I'm obviously a little slow off the mark with this. I overlooked this when I saw it available on Amazon.ca. I suppose I will buy the PAL version as well, later. Are there any other releases where this similar problem may occur?

All HD capable TVs can do all common frame rates. There is no reason to make 25/50Hz blu-rays from 24Hz film. There should be only one HD master at 24Hz and that should be on all blu-ray releases worldwide. Modern TVs and bluray players can do 24Hz.

The PAL 25Hz speed up from 24Hz film sources should be for DVD only where older TVs were fixed at 50Hz for Europe. NTSC did 30/60Hz by showing every 3rd frame twice so no speed up.

Amazing how such a spectacular rendering of one of the most influential movies in music history (if not the most!) can be so mired down in discussions over frame rates and packaging :rolleyes:

I didn't consider it to mired down but if that is your take on it, help yourself. I'm waiting on mine to be delivered but asked a civil question and received one civil reply

I didn't consider it to mired down but if that is your take on it, help yourself. I'm waiting on mine to be delivered but asked a civil question and received one civil reply

That IS my take on it - but I certainly didn't mean to come off as uncivil - hope you enjoy the movie - I LOVED it! And BTW, my comment was not directed at you specifically, nor were you the first or only one to mention FPS or packaging.

That IS my take on it - but I certainly didn't mean to come off as uncivil - hope you enjoy the movie - I LOVED it! And BTW, my comment was not directed at you specifically, nor were you the first or only one to mention FPS or packaging.

Me either. But I thought this was the place to talk about such things rather than in a poll. Glad to hear you loved it as no doubt I will as well. It'd be nice to replace the versions of Let It Be as well but I expect that will be released just after the Shea Stadium Blu Ray? :)

Me either. But I thought this was the place to talk about such things rather than in a poll. Glad to hear you loved it as no doubt I will as well. It'd be nice to replace the versions of Let It Be as well but I expect that will be released just after the Shea Stadium Blu Ray? :)

You should feel free to discuss whatever floats your boat and I will do the same. Perhaps my sentiment could have been better expressed - this is such a SIGNIFICANT improvement over previous versions that frame rate differences and packaging/artwork issues seem to trivialize the the bigger picture - that's just my POV. By all means - carry on! And yes Let It Be would be nice - maybe in 2019.

Still betting on Beatles 1 Videos to be released later this year. Let It Be seems to just be an every three to five year rumor - kind of like Paul is Dead.

Let It Be seems to just be an every three to five year rumor - kind of like Paul is Dead.

Ummm rumor??? He is Dead!!! Altho Snood will admit the Paul imposter is pretty damn good too :banana:

Ummm rumor??? He is Dead!!! Altho Snood will admit the Paul imposter is pretty damn good too :banana:

Actually we figure this is clone #2 right now. It's the only explanation for 3 hour sets with no breaks at what would have been his age without the clones. I know clone #1 was a more melodic bass player than the original Paul. Apparently clone #2 needed more training since it married Heather.

Actually we figure this is clone #2 right now. It's the only explanation for 3 hour sets with no breaks at what would have been his age without the clones. I know clone #1 was a more melodic bass player than the original Paul. Apparently clone #2 needed more training since it married Heather.

Snood could see that! :banana:

Back