HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - The Division Bell [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - THE DIVISION BELL

• Total voters
I was not familiar with the songs on this Floyd disc except for Keep Talking and High Hopes. Both were done at a recent Brit Floyd concert I attended that was excellent. However after listening to the entire disc about half a dozen times I think the sound quality and mix is outstanding. My only complaint is the flimsy packaging the disc comes in. Great surround sound disc at a very affordable price that came out of the blue, a definite 10!

Sorry my comments were meant for the DVD not the Blu Ray...

I've always liked this album. However, when I was listening to 'High Hopes' at full volume in surround I was almost crying ... because of the magic of this surround mix. Mr Jackson, please do it again.

Is the BDA standalone?
I am not paying £111 for a box set to get one 5.1 mix, and the box set is withdrawn at Amazon UK right now anyway

First negative review: http://www.pinkfloydz.com/tdb20th.htm, it seems we've listened to a completely different mix :-|
funny thing is that the reviewer (Julie) attended Amused to Death Sacd presentation and was all praises for the 5.1 new mix.
Julie apparently has a problem with the original recording which is emphasized in this multichannel mix. She also prefers to have the center channel employed which many disagree with (including myself). A quad mix can easily bring any audio to the center of the room. It's also very hard to judge a review without knowing the playback equipment and speakers used to review this mix.

In regards to her praise of the 5.1 mix of ATD, James Guthrie mixed that album and knowing what a hardcore fan of his work she is I wouldn't expect anything less.

Yes, I'm really very respectful with every review, but there are some points in hers that I can't share at all (painful sound when cranked up, metallic tones, etc) and are less subjective than the usage of the center channel. As you say, listening equipment and environment make a difference. I was just surprised about how negative this review is.

Yes, I'm really very respectful with every review, but there are some points in hers that I can't share at all (painful sound when cranked up, metallic tones, etc) and are less subjective than the usage of the center channel. As you say, listening equipment and environment make a difference. I was just surprised about how negative this review is.
I'm even more surprised that she just requested that nobody should comment or question her review.

Reactions: GOS
Has anyone compared the Blu-ray against the DVD version? Just wondering .

I was wondering the same thing, it should be better but by how much, hope someone can comment.

i did on my cheap Sony player and can't say i heard much (or any) difference...haven't yet compared on my new oppo player. will post when i get around to serious listening/comparing...

[deleted] Answered my own question with some research...

Last edited:
Has anyone compared the Blu-ray against the DVD version? Just wondering .

DTS is a very good audio stream.
I will never find a reason in need of better signal.
The difference is not worth the price of the box.
I can't hear any difference at all.
I also have Donald Fagens DTS box and his DVD-A's....no difference.
Only the industry try to hail and sell for better and better material....
Just think about 4k...who has such a big screen, that it would be necessary to upgrade from hdmi???

My 2 cents.... :)

Just think about 4k...who has such a big screen, that it would be necessary to upgrade from hdmi???

I agree, too many people focus on the sampling rates; a well mixed 48 would be hard to distinguish vs a 96 IMO.

And video 4k is just a dream for people in the US in the forseeable future, even with new compression methods. I cringe when I see someone in a store buying one of these 4k displays; they are buying an overpriced LCD display. The lipstick on a pig analogy applies here.

Well , you will not hear a difference in DF's solo albums is because ... there is no difference! (TN and Kamakiriad were recorded 48/24)
I , myself, am a huge fan of DTS 96/24...and the only one where I find a difference is Bjork's "Vespertine", where the DVDA sounds better than the DTS one...

Anyway, can't wait to compare TDB in BD with the DTS disc I have...

Well , you will not hear a difference in DF's solo albums is because ... there is no difference! (TN and Kamakiriad were recorded 48/24)
I , myself, am a huge fan of DTS 96/24...and the only one where I find a difference is Bjork's "Vespertine", where the DVDA sounds better than the DTS one...

Anyway, can't wait to compare TDB in BD with the DTS disc I have...

I have found that 24/96 DTS holds up for 98% of music. The parts where the music gets super "complicated" is where it just can't keep up and you hear minor distortion for lack of better word. Not talking about this release but music in 5.1 DTS 24/96 in general. This release is perfectly fine compressed (my encode from lossless bluray to 24/96 dts)...

Back