Kate Bush

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
Just heard news some Kate Bush back catalogue is being remixed at Rak Studios in St.John's Wood right now. No more info on who is doing it or what stuff or what the project is (or even if it's in 5.1) but just thought I'd pass it on in case it's some scoop (or not!)

Just heard news some Kate Bush back catalogue is being remixed at Rak Studios in St.John's Wood right now. No more info on who is doing it or what stuff or what the project is (or even if it's in 5.1) but just thought I'd pass it on in case it's some scoop (or not!)

Exciting news indeed :)

Great news, even if it is just stereo remixing, because her most famous albums were mixed to lowly 16bit/44.1kHz digital standard at the time.

Great news, even if it is just stereo remixing, because her most famous albums were mixed to lowly 16bit/44.1kHz digital standard at the time.

As if "high rez' would reveal glorious new vistas. Come on.

(and btw, if her multis were actually *recorded* at 16/44, hi rez re-mixing and distribution will be of little or *no* discernable benefit. Remastering EQ, of course, can make a comparatively huge difference)

I saw Kate in Amsterdam a friend of mine dragged me to her concert I knew nothing about her, have to say the concert was magical and became and instant fan after the concert and bought all her CD's and am still a fan after all these years. I would really hope a surround mix is in the works because her music would lend itself to it. One could only wish and hope

Her recent concerts did have the sounds effects mixed in surround, so maybe she's got surround on her mind? I really hope so. Hounds of Love is on the top of my wish list for a 5.1 mix.

Hounds of Love in 5.1 :banana:

Freddypoos - do what ya can to make this happen :rolleyes:

One of Snood's all time faves. Remember where me was when first heard this and went whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Had to ask who the hell it was.

Meanwhile my bud's were all like ............you like that stuff?? Snood was like how can you not!!!!!????

No more news on this? Listened to Hounds Of Love yesterday, what a great surround album that would have been.

I know Steven Wilson has said he would like to mix her music.

I have a copy of the SNL show with Kate as guest musical artist from the 70's when SNL was funny! Eric Idle was host that night. It was her one and only US show. Too bad, she was cute and talented.

Kate Bush's first three albums ("The Kick Inside", "Lionheart", and "Never For Ever") are still owned by Parlophone Records, so I can easily imagine fantastic deluxe hardbook sets with 5.1 surround for each of those albums (similar to the Jethro Tull and Marillion reissues the label has been releasing)

It appears that Kate Bush owns the rest of her recordings, so the buck really stops with her when it comes to reissuing some of her best albums (like "The Dreaming" and "Hounds Of Love")

It's great that Steven Wilson is so passionate about remixing Kate Bush's catalogue, but if she never reciprocates the interest, well, so much for that...

No more news on this? Listened to Hounds Of Love yesterday, what a great surround album that would have been.

I know Steven Wilson has said he would like to mix her music.
I have been revisiting her albums lately, and it is all great. Hounds of Love most definately would sound great in surround. Bring it on :)

Alright, took the opportunity and wrote a little message using the contact form on the website to ask about any plans for Kate in 5.1, all the while plugging Steven, Rob Reed and Bruce Soord. :)

Kate was the the first female artist to achieve a UK number one with a self-written song, the first British solo female artist to top the UK album charts and the first female artist ever to enter the album chart at number one.

How wonderful if is she was also the first female solo artist to release her complete back catalogue in surround.

Put "Kate Bush Dreaming" in the QQ search box and see how frequently it turns up on people's pipe-dream surround lists. (Including Steven Wilson's, one presumes.)

Here's a smart, moving, personal piece by rock critic Ann Powers on the sexual politics of that album:
https://www.npr.org/2021/08/26/1031046350/how-kate-bushs-the-dreaming-made-my-monsters-my-own
(Several other artists in the series to which that essay belongs--"Turning the Tables"--whose work has made it into surround, in one form or another.)

Cecile McLorin Salvant, arguably the most exciting, and certainly the buzziest, vocalist in jazz these days, has a new album out on Nonesuch today, Ghost Song. (Reminder: it's Bandcamp Friday!) Here's her take on Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights," the opening track, featuring artwork by Salvant animated by Robert Edridge-Waks.

Back