Tears for Fears-Songs From The Big Chair - HiRez 5.1!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the box set contain any dvd-audio disks (the kind with MLP) or are they video type audio? The box works out to $65 if ordered from Amazon UK, including the shipping. The USA Amazon wants $85 for it.

The disc I did QC for was a DVD-A (With MLP) and I believe that is part of the box set.

From superdeluxeedition.com
If you’ve got a compatible DVD-A player then there is no difference (than the BD) . If you’ve only got a standard DVD-player then you don’t get lossless 5.1 (you get dolby 5.1 and DTS) so the blu-ray has the slight edge in that instance.

My box arrived today and....

<gobsmacked> :yikes

I can't believe that this album, which I already thought sounded amazing, sounds soooooooo good in MLP 5.1. The channel separation truly allows all the instrumentation and vocals to breathe and I'm hearing stuff I never heard before. Mind = Blown.

I'll do a full review soon.

Only to those who have invested in BD - DVD-A/V is the more common denominator and the resolution is said to be the same as the BD for this release.

DVD-V is indeed more common but won't have the same resolution as the BD/DVD-A and I'd wager there are more BD players than DVD-A players installed in homes. But yes, DVD-A/V will cover most people's bases for 5.1, be it high res or not. The inclusion of the Blu Ray "may" have helped tip a few would-be BD purchasers over the edge to get a deck. Software always drives hardware adoption.

Either way, I'm happy. I'm listening to the 5.1 DVD-A mix right now and it is nothing short of spectacular :)

I've got the box on the way. Sure hope the dvd-audio plays on my machine but I somehow doubt it.

This is my first experience with Burning Shed...I saw my credit card was charged and I got excited thinking it was shipped BUT...after reading the FAQ it appears they charge you when you make the order not when it ships...so it appears I'm locked into Burning Shed...importCDs did update their website to Dec 9 for the release...Bullmoose is still in denial stating that "rare item we will try and get if for you"...amazon us has Dec 9th...amazon uk HAS it in stock...Deep Discount.com has Dec 9th...oh boy...so I hope Burning Shed has it or I'll be back to square one...

Ok...I must admit that I am obsessed with this title:spot...I ordered from amazon uk also...I was afraid that after more people realized that it was available the supply would be exhausted...forum power and supply levels can't be ignored when ordering these titles...so I may end up with 2 copies of this title...I can live with that...but if I missed out I would be upset..I was lucky enough to get an extra copy of the Division Bell DVD before it was gone and ever since that happened I have been a little "gun shy"...

UPDATE: I received an email from Burning Shed just now stating I had ordered "one of the last few copies" they had received from the distributor....they responded very quickly to my email...I was able to cancel my amazon uk order....so the waiting begins...

Last edited:
Note for U.S. fans - Tears for Fears will be on the Jimmy Kimmel show tonight (Nov. 12). I don't know where this can be seen outside the U.S.

Scan of the stand alone BD

TFF_SFTBC Front BD 800px.jpg

TFF_SFTBC Back BD 800px.jpg

At the risk of upsetting someone, I'm having issues with the authoring of the DVD A/V, particularly the DTS section. Aside from common issues like the beginning of tracks being clipped off, the DTS section on both the A and V segments is doing odd stuff. At first I couldn't get any audio from the digital connection, but lots of flashing of the speaker and DTS symbols on the AV amp. Nothing on the analogue out. I played around with settings on the player, and when I changed LPCM (which surely has nothing to do with the DTS layer and I don't convert to PCM to output) to 44.1/48 kHz then I did get the digital signal, but when I played the analogue output it was playing at what sounded like double pitch. I tried another DTS 24/96 DVD and that seemed to be fine. DD seemed fine on the TFF disc, and I've not tried the hi-res 5.1 yet due to LFE bug on the amp.

Any thoughts? Apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

At the risk of upsetting someone, I'm having issues with the authoring of the DVD A/V, particularly the DTS section. Aside from common issues like the beginning of tracks being clipped off, the DTS section on both the A and V segments is doing odd stuff. At first I couldn't get any audio from the digital connection, but lots of flashing of the speaker and DTS symbols on the AV amp. Nothing on the analogue out. I played around with settings on the player, and when I changed LPCM (which surely has nothing to do with the DTS layer and I don't convert to PCM to output) to 44.1/48 kHz then I did get the digital signal, but when I played the analogue output it was playing at what sounded like double pitch. I tried another DTS 24/96 DVD and that seemed to be fine. DD seemed fine on the TFF disc, and I've not tried the hi-res 5.1 yet due to LFE bug on the amp.

Sorry to hear you're having issues. Personally, I checked the entire disc (every layer, every audio track, every format) before posting my review and didn't experience any of the issues you highlighted. If other discs perform as expected, I'd wager you have a faulty TFF disc and I'd suggest getting in touch with the retailer for a replacement. If the replacement does it, then it might point to your hardware either being unable to handle this particular disc authoring, or maybe there is a fault in the hardware.

Neil Wilkes, who authored this disc, is a frequent contributor here. Maybe he can help?

Hope you get it sorted soon as it is a fantastic release :)

How odd, I've tried the DTS on both my DVD and BD players and all plays flawlessly.

Sounds like this is a winner!

But...I pre-ordered my copy about a month ago from Deepdiscount.com, but when I just called them now to check on the status for the order, they said it was backordered, and they don't know when they will get more :( :( .

I see Amazon has it for $30, but it also says it won't be released until 12/9?

Can someone maybe list some other sources? :)

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks for the link!
Just ordered this, also Bryan Adams reckless bluray was the same price.

Back