HiRez Poll Yes - RELAYER [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Yes - RELAYER

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters
Gave the 5.1 one listen-through. Now i want to take Steven Wilson aside and tell him, please, for the love of god, from now on, when the keyboards are playing a lead melody, don't stick them in the rear channels.

I'm giving this a 9. I like the fact that it has a different 'feel' to the mix than the original. The new 5.1 mix opens things up and Chris Squires Bass comes over really well, plus there are some nice effects in keeping with 1974. The clarity is good, but its scary to think the album is 40 years old!

Still can't seem to get 1970s reverb emulation right, though. Modern 'verb applied to old parts just sounds like 'too much' to me, a lot of the time. Case in point is the middle section of 'Sound Chaser'. It sounds like it's in a cavern now.

Love this one - gave the 5.1 mix a 10

...except that I think that the stereo instrumental mix might be an 11. Wish they'd done a 5.1 instrumental mix.

This has to be one of my favorite Yes Albums, never been a fan of sound chaser and skipped it on the first listen maybe I will play it down the road.
GOD is fantastic there so much going on that I will have to listen to it several times but when soon came on I find myself leaning back and just smiling.
To Be over. Wow the begining on it gave me the chills. I seldom vote but this was a 10 for me hopes Tales comes out soon.

I receive my copy (dvd-a) the other day and have been playing it all weekend and have to say: WOW! It took about 10 seconds into the first listen for me to realize that this was the best I've ever heard this album sound. I've had this album in one form or another since the day it was released and have loved the music ever since, but always thought the sound quality was lacking at best. It never seemed like a recording of the separate instruments but just a mass of sound where everything was piled in the same space. I also thought there was a shrillness to it that kept it from sounding as good as it should. All that's gone and each instrument has room to itself and the clarity is so much improved.

The sound quality alone would make this a winner for me, but I love the surround mix and think Steven Wilson nailed it. I have no problem with lead keyboards in the rear and remember that when Yes did the DTS tour, they did that a lot with the live sound mix. The beginning of To Be Over is perfect with Steve's guitar just filling the room. Chris' bass comes through in a way that just never happened with the old stereo mix. The middle section of Gates was always so cluttered with sound that it was sort of chaos, but with this mix it works wonderfully. I think the missing sound effects aren't missed at all. I mean I realize there's some things not there that I've heard before, but I don't think they added to the enjoyment of the music. Most of it is all still there, but I feel like there's just some random crashing sounds that aren't there any more and it allows the actual musical instruments to come through so much better. I do think the sound leans to a dryer feel and I like it. No more is everything piled into the same space and one dimensional but a very 3d sound, filling the room with some of the best playing I think has ever been recorded. I do realize that this is an album that isn't for everyone and I won't play it for many friends as I don't think a lot of people could appreciate it. But for me it doesn't get any better than this one.

Anyway, as a huge fan of the album and of surround in general, I love it! Don't think it could have been done any better and I doubt I'll ever listen to a stereo version of this again unless maybe on a road trip in the car. I remember when this came out it was in the middle of my quad days and I was always hoping they would release it in quad (I had CTTE on constant order with the record store as it was always listed as available in quad-but, of course, never was). Better late than never. And in truth, it would have never sounded this good back in the day had it come out on Q8.

These are great days to be a surround fan! We get a new (sort of) Pink Floyd in surround this week!

K

I'm a 7.
I feel the keyboards are too high in the mix at times and the drums in the 1st track Gates Of Delerium is too low, the original mix was always very busy so it would have been tough for SW to do 100%.
The other 2 tracks sound better in 5.1.
I love the UK Vinyl rip, sounds incredible.
So far the first 2 SW produced Yes re-issues are the best for me.

Has anyone bothered to compare the DVD-A vs Bluray versions of this series? In all honesty I'm not sure which version to get? Does it even matter?

Has anyone bothered to compare the DVD-A vs Bluray versions of this series? In all honesty I'm not sure which version to get? Does it even matter?

I suggest you get the BluRay, much higher audio bit rate, the vinyl rips are superb, the DVD does not have these.

I never really paid much attention to Yes when these albums were originally released so it's fun listening to them now when I'm not overly familiar. Musically this one doesn't really do it for me but I like the mix. 7.

Having the option to listen to Yes in 5.1 is the only way to go. It is how Yes is meant to be heard. These are the definitive versions. I love them all.. One can nit pick about this or that. These tapes are 40 years old. Could they be better, who really knows? The instruments and vocals being separated into various channels gives them space and presence. Which greatly enhances the Yes experience. The clarity I experience with each of these releases has taken me deeper into the music more than ever, and I've been a fan since 1971. PLEASE keep them coming!

This is just everything I could have hoped for!

Steve Wilson's Yes remixes are fantastic so far and this is no exception. Not sure how many ways to restate that that haven't been said already...

This release is particularly special because there was never really a good stereo version available. We're hearing this album in high fidelity for the very first time here. I actually listened to the original stereo mix in HD first for this one. Wow!

Now I did not have a UK 1st pressing of this one but the vinyl copies I've had and heard were bad. (All the various CD releases were just portable quality lo-fi fodder as well.) This is one of those vinyl releases where you really feel cheated. We had the MFSL release of Close to the Edge for all these years and the excellent Rhino remaster of The Yes Album for a while now. The HD stereo masters on the bluray discs for those were just a bit cleaner of course but we already had very high quality with those vinyl copies. Relayer had no such release before so this was a real treat to finally get to hear it!

The 5.1 remix is just awesome. I'm sure there might be some mix decisions to argue over for a few people as there always are. I'm thinking at worst this would be a very well done alternate mix for you even if you are one that prefers the original. And this release more than most is a huge upgrade for the original stereo mix and worth every penny just for that.

This is the most I've ever liked this album. The improvement in sound quality on the surround mix is the biggest sound upgrade of the first 3 Yes album remixes so far (IMO). I also think this is the most adventurous and creative of Steven Wilson's surround mixes for Yes so far. It really is amazing. All that being said, however, the musical content of Relayer pales in comparison to that of The Yes Album, Close To the Edge, or Fragile, so I give it an 8.

I really don't care for this album, i thought maybe iwould like it more in surround, but i just don't care fot it. I vote 6. It is going on ebay.

Back