Tears for Fears-Songs From The Big Chair - HiRez 5.1!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also found the pcm and the dtshd tracks somehow different.....i still dont know how to rate this release.....i mean....this is one of my favourite albums of all time.....and i have really enjoyed Steven Wilson's work....but....there is something i dont really know how to describe about this mix.....by the way Head Over Heels sounds fantastic!!!!

I've heard a couple comments about the opening song "Shout". Of course, this really is made for high-rez surround. Can any of you comment of how this song sounds on this disc?

I've heard a couple comments about the opening song "Shout". Of course, this really is made for high-rez surround. Can any of you comment of how this song sounds on this disc?

It's really hard to describe what you hear on this song...I can best describe it as "80's stink"...which is a combination of reverb and mild guitar distortion which overshadows.... and in some cases... drowns out the vocals..what calls more attention to this song is the HUGE difference in the very next song on the album...THE WORKING HOUR is such a radical departure in both sound quality and style..it's like you walked into a jazz club or a small bar in New Jersey and Wendell Newton was on the sax as Eddie and The Cruisers were playing a set...the whole atmosphere changes..it's almost as though SHOUT doesn't belong on this album...which is a foreign concept...I know....but that's the impression I would have if I never heard this album before....SHOUT starts out with crystal clear instrument sounds and then builds to "congested" sounds...don't get me wrong..I love that song...that's just the sonic impression I get from it....

It's really hard to describe what you hear on this song...I can best describe it as "80's stink"...which is a combination of reverb and mild guitar distortion which overshadows.... and in some cases... drowns out the vocals..what calls more attention to this song is the HUGE difference in the very next song on the album...THE WORKING HOUR is such a radical departure in both sound quality and style..it's like you walked into a jazz club or a small bar in New Jersey and Wendell Newton was on the sax as Eddie and The Cruisers were playing a set...the whole atmosphere changes..it's almost as though SHOUT doesn't belong on this album...which is a foreign concept...I know....but that's the impression I would have if I never heard this album before....SHOUT starts out with crystal clear instrument sounds and then builds to "congested" sounds...don't get me wrong..I love that song...that's just the sonic impression I get from it....

Damn- I wonder what happened? I mean, that song should have been used to showcase Wilson and the surround format.

Damn- I wonder what happened? I mean, that song should have been used to showcase Wilson and the surround format.

Like all these older recordings the source material is what dictates the sound quality...c'mon now...you are a child of the 80's...you know how bad some of this stuff sounded when it came out...most of these bands fell in love with the reverb sound..it went along with the whole 6x9 car speakers...under dash radios..etc..etc... and every other bad idea that the 80's came up with:)

Like all these older recordings the source material is what dictates the sound quality...c'mon now...you are a child of the 80's...you know how bad some of this stuff sounded when it came out...most of these bands fell in love with the reverb sound..it went along with the whole 6x9 car speakers...under dash radios..etc..etc... and every other bad idea that the 80's came up with:)

LOL - I know...but I guess it surprises me that much of the disc presumably sounds great...and this single song.....falls short. As you say, like it doesn't even belong of the LP.

LOL - I know...but I guess it surprises me that much of the disc presumably sounds great...and this single song.....falls short. As you say, like it doesn't even belong of the LP.

"Back in the day" my standard for buying an album was for it to have 2 good songs...just saying...some I bought for just one freaking song(I still do that on some discs)

This disc will get a lot of play...I love it..

I'm really enjoying this disc too but I have to say between this disc and Reckless the standout 5.1 track for me actually goes to Clearmountain's amazing mix of "Somebody", it's like every time you get to the chorus you're hearing it for the first time and it rocks harder than ever before.

Wilson, Scheiner, Clearmountain, I hope we get lots more 5.1 titles from these guys in 2015 and more mainstream releases like Legend, Songs/Big Chair, etc. So happy with these new discs. Will definitely have to check out the PCM/dts-ma issue some are describing...if you let your player do the dts-ma decoding and send as PCM do you also notice an issue?

With regards to Shout, and I'm no expert, but I think what some people are experiencing is a form of conditioning in that they are so used to the original that this new mix seems odd. Shout, along with Mother's Talk, is quite a dense, claustrophobic mix on the original. Other songs on the album (Working Hour, Head Over Heels, I Believe) are quite spacious in their original form and so might be less jarring.

Just my tuppence ha'penny ;)

With regards to Shout, and I'm no expert, but I think what some people are experiencing is a form of conditioning in that they are so used to the original that this new mix seems odd. Shout, along with Mother's Talk, is quite a dense, claustrophobic mix on the original. Other songs on the album (Working Hour, Head Over Heels, I Believe) are quite spacious in their original form and so might be less jarring.

Just my tuppence ha'penny ;)

Yep...that's what I meant by "congested"..other songs seem to have greater separation...or as you say "spacious"...

Yep...that's what I meant by "congested"..other songs seem to have greater separation...or as you say "spacious"...

My impression was always that those songs were MEANT to sound claustrophobic. To the point where I am actually uncomfortable listening to them. The way "Shout" builds but, at the same time, closes in on the listener is haunting. But I have no idea if that was intentional or not, of course.

So I suppose in that way, it may actually NOT be the best candidate for a more-open 5.1 mix. But I'm very anxious to hear the results. If I need to hear the original mix, I've got that too! :)

My impression was always that those songs were MEANT to sound claustrophobic. To the point where I am actually uncomfortable listening to them. The way "Shout" builds but, at the same time, closes in on the listener is haunting. But I have no idea if that was intentional or not, of course.

So I suppose in that way, it may actually NOT be the best candidate for a more-open 5.1 mix. But I'm very anxious to hear the results. If I need to hear the original mix, I've got that too! :)

That's an interesting perspective...I guess it depends on whether you think this band is a synth pop band with some dark overtones(not quite as dark as THE CURE)...or some consider them New Wave or New Wave synth...certainly not like Flock Of Seagulls..but they evolved with less synth and more guitars as time marched on...

I have heard SFTBC 4 times already......it is a great mix by Steven Wilson.....but for me it doesnt have the WOW factor i was expecting (believe me....i hate myself for saying this) i also found more exciting the mix of Bryan Adams Reckless by Bob Clearmountain.....specially One Night Love Affair and Somebody......i dont know why some of QQ members want to give this title an 8......i found some bias toward Steven Wilson.......(by the way i love 99% of Steven's work).....but everyone should receive their fair recognition......Bob's mix is excellent.....for me it should deserve not less than 9

I have heard SFTBC 4 times already......it is a great mix by Steven Wilson.....but for me it doesnt have the WOW factor i was expecting (believe me....i hate myself for saying this) i also found more exciting the mix of Bryan Adams Reckless by Bob Clearmountain.....specially One Night Love Affair and Somebody......i dont know why some of QQ members want to give this title an 8......i found some bias toward Steven Wilson.......(by the way i love 99% of Steven's work).....but everyone should receive their fair recognition......Bob's mix is excellent.....for me it should deserve not less than 9

All the great reviews of this album are pushing me to buy it, but the truth is just not one of those albums I'm that interested in hearing again. Don't get me wrong, I think there are some great songs on the record and I played it to death back in the day. But today it just feels like a collection of classic rock hits that I don't need to go out of my way to hear or feel like 5.1 is going to give me anything 'new' to be excited about.

But, I should probably get it just to support 5.1 if nothing else....

Seems ironic - all these reviews on the non-poll thread. After telling people not to post non-review posts on the poll thread. "The best laid plans..."

LOL..well I see what you mean but think of it as us perfecting our review posts when we actually give our numbered ratings post on the actual poll thread...that's what I'm thinking...of course I rationalize a lot..I'm thinking this is the pre-rating thread..

Back