HiRez Poll Doors - Morrison Hotel [DVD-A/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/SACD of The Doors - MORRISON HOTEL

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations on this title released in first in the "Perception" Box set in the DVD-Audio format, and again in 2014 as a single US SACD (Made in Austria) or as part of the Limited Numbered Edition "Infinite" Box from Analog Productions.

(n) :phones (y)

Hotel Front 700.jpg
Hotel Back 700.jpg

8. What's good is fantastic: Roadhouse Blues, Waiting for the Sun and the classic Peace Frog. Some of the material is forgettable. Good mix with the number of tracks they had to work with. A must own, although IMHO, their weakest album. For most artists, something this good would be their best album.

I wish somebody else did the Doors 5.1 mixes other than Bruce. I can't stand the placement of the drums.

A very weak disc surround-wise, but I don't think that can be helped given the kind of material present on the album.
There are a few standout moments, but overall, it's only worth getting if you can find the "Perception" DVD-A set for an affordable price.

Don't bother with the SACDs as the bonus tracks are missing from all of them.

This particular disc gets a '7', simply because the music and fidelity are very good overall.

A very weak disc surround-wise, but I don't think that can be helped given the kind of material present on the album.
There are a few standout moments, but overall, it's only worth getting if you can find the "Perception" DVD-A set for an affordable price.

This particular disc gets a '7', simply because the music and fidelity are very good overall.

I remember this mix being better than you describe. Lots of good mixes lately to skew opinions. Will listen later and vote...

It can definitely be helped. The placement of drums is atrocious, using the center and right front speaker but not left.

I adjusted this disc via Audacity, some songs have rears action for a matter of seconds then the rest sounds like radio.

This is a great surround mix (and stereo mix to boot). This is The Doors at their prime. The song sequence "Peace Frog > Blue Sunday > Ship of Fools" is worth the price of admission alone. There is more bass to these mixes than the old CDs and the drums are crisp and revealing. John Densmore has to be one of the most underrated drummers of all time.

D’oh! I wish I’d known that they were using the “new” mixes, instead of the old. Aside from the lack of a good solid closing song, I like this album a LOT, but I HATE the newer mixes. The surround mixes are cool, though based too much on the new mixes IMO, rather than the old. As such, I regret buying it and wouldn’t recommend it to anyone else.

I gave this SACD a 6 for the “wrong” stereo mix, which is a shame, because the songs are very good overall, and the surround mixes are pretty solid, if a bit light in the surrounds (understandable for being recorded on an 8 track machine).

The Doors later albums have a lot of discrete tracks (more tracks available in the studio), so naturally as I'm progressing through their SACDs from oldest to newest the mixes are generally getting stronger. This means the ratings come down to variance between mixes and quality of the music. I enjoy the album although it's one of the albums that, outside of the two hits, I'm not familiar with the other tracks. It's a little less bold in some respects compared to the prior two albums in their catalog, but nonetheless has some strong performances especially on guitar. I give this a solid 9, most weight on the clarity of the instruments and the few times they got creative in the surround treatment. Musically I'd put this in the middle of the pack.

Back