Tears for Fears-Songs From The Big Chair - HiRez 5.1!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick note (since colsky mentioned them) re: the Elton's..

A member over at the SHF (BlairG) has just posted to the effect AF told them the albums have already been licensed by an unknown label (seemingly, rather, they are..,"undisclosed"?) and so AF couldn't pursue them to finally get the unreleased 5.1's out.. I don't know what to think, or who that mysterious label might be.. Hmm..

Just a quick note (since colsky mentioned them) re: the Elton's..

A member over at the SHF (BlairG) has just posted to the effect AF told them the albums have already been licensed by an unknown label (seemingly, rather, they are..,"undisclosed"?) and so AF couldn't pursue them to finally get the unreleased 5.1's out.. I don't know what to think, or who that mysterious label might be.. Hmm..

This is getting a little OT (away from "Songs from the Big Chair"), but I REALLY hope 2015 is the year these unreleased EJ 5.1 mixes get out, especially through Universal's own HFPA series. Surely they would be among the biggest sellers, no doubt.

Well I'm going to think twice before I do it again! The reasons I bought it were -

- to support the 5.1 cause,
- the reviews on here of the sound quality were so good, I thought I've got to get this one,
- to see if I could make my wife appreciate surround more. She likes the band's music more than I, back in the 80's it was the girls who liked the Tears for Fears, Duran Durans, Spandau Ballets of this world.

I think I agree with Neil Wilkes here. I wouldn't buy a disc of something that I really disliked, but I may buy a surround disc where I would not normally buy that artist in stereo if the reviews of the sound of that 5.1 were enough to tempt me and the price wasn't too great. (I actually got the Tears for Fears blu ray from HD Wow for £10, which at that price I thought it was worth a punt) An example for me would be Elton John. I've never disliked his music, but I never liked it enough to actually buy anything by him. However, since I got on this great surround train of ours I have been buying the EJ surround discs and I love them and I'm now a fan of the music.

What I think I struggle with is 80s music and the (in my opinion) dated production/synths/synth drums/sounds of much of this decade's product. I got Songs from the Big Chair hoping that the surround mix would help with my 80's phobia, but unfortunately it didn't.

I think that is what we all struggle with...and you are spot on about the synth sounds and for me the reverbs...that 80's sound certainly penalizes some good music...another hurdle to overcome by those who are tasked with making these discs sound like we want them to sound...so when someone compares music in this category with albums like Legend...it's going to be hard to sound as silky smooth with all that 80's sonic garbage in tow...

The 80's in general weren't that productive IMO for my tastes...but I did like some of the songs by Tears For Fears and even Duran Duran...so I guess I'm gender challenged as only girls like these bands:) but I can live with that...hey..I even liked Disco...go figure...in fact I've liked several genres along the way...jazz...blues...etc...

Like I said...my post wasn't about any specific reviewer...just an observation...it just strikes me as odd that the initial comments on these polls(not just this one)sometimes starts with the fact that the reviewer didn't like this music and then goes on from there..

.it just strikes me as odd that the initial comments on these polls(not just this one)sometimes starts with the fact that the reviewer didn't like this music and then goes on from there..

I guess when I'm reviewing something, I want to let others know that I don't like it from a music standpoint so that they know where I'm coming from with the rest of my thoughts. If I was a big fan of a particular album, then I would be more inclined to be swayed by someone else who is a big fan than someone who admits to not enjoying it. But if I was wondering about an album I've never heard or was mostly unfamiliar with, then I'm probably also looking for people's opinion of the content to decide if I might want to give it a shot. As for me not liking these back in the day, I was hoping to find a new appreciation of them as I've not heard them in decades and hoped a good surround mix would get me to hear it in a new light. But I think a lot of what I can't get into with this one is the 80's production style. But I would think that anyone who was a fan of this back then would love the surround mix on here.

Also, as Neil said above, I have found music that I think is just ok in stereo become a much better listen in surround. But no doubt, if it's something I just don't like, a surround mix isn't going to change that. But I don't usually know that until I've sat down and listened.

K

man - I didn't want to derail this thread any more....but since we swayed towards the topic...I have to agree with many that have commented on the idea of purchasing a title that maybe is far from your favorite...but just out of curiosity...I buy things. That's me. I have a very broad acceptance of music, yet something like TFF was a long shot for me. Like others, it was my wife that liked the band more than me...I'm far from disappointed with the disc. I gave it an 8 (I think)...which is very decent in my eyes.

Disc came today; actually two discs came today. They originally cancelled my order so I reordered it when I saw it was available again. I emailed them and hopefully they'll send me a shipping label and give me a refund.

Initial run through is favorable, though I'll need to listen more when I get home from a little trip over this next week.

My HFPA download code is not for this album! This happened to me with a prior HFPA purchase and the correct download eventually showed up in my account. This happen to anybody else?

Disc came today; actually two discs came today. They originally cancelled my order so I reordered it when I saw it was available again. I emailed them and hopefully they'll send me a shipping label and give me a refund.

Initial run through is favorable, though I'll need to listen more when I get home from a little trip over this next week.

My HFPA download code is not for this album! This happened to me with a prior HFPA purchase and the correct download eventually showed up in my account. This happen to anybody else?
Depending on what you paid, you could perhaps send the spare one to Wisconsin... not too far away.

That's interesting to hear about the centre channel issues some people are experiencing. I have the BD and my centre set at + 2dB (fronts are set to 0) and I haven't experienced the vocals buried. Just an aside, the only surround mix I have where I can recall buried vocals in the centre is Assault and Battery on Hawkwind's Warrior on the Edge of Time, particularly the DTS track (Dolby is a tad louder).

I wonder if it could be a manufacturing "feature"?

DeepDiscount sent my order, eventually. I'd complain, but to go with someone else would cost more, and I'd given up hope ages ago.

What a disc! May the Angel of Music keep Steven Wilson healthy and well compensated so he continues to do such great work.

Disclaimer - I am not intimately familiar with the original mix, so I do not have an informed opinion on how this compares to any earlier mix. Other than singles, Mtv, and "Real Genius", this is my first serious listen of this record. If you tell me the vocals are poorly mixed compared to the original, I have no frame of reference to disagree.

Incidentally, do we have a "Fanboys Inanely Gushing About Steven Wilson" thread? If ol' Steve ever has a bad day, I'd love to drop a note in such a thread so he knows we love what he does.

Beaches Entertainment finally has listed this on Amazon. $16.28 plus shipping. Got my order in and used some citi points to get another $8 or so off.

I never did open the box set so may as well sell that one.

So many different opinions on this one...I can't wait to hear this one!

Roland has one of the most powerful and incredible voices in Pop, ever (an a HUUUUGE range!!!)...just tlisten to "The Seeds of Love " LP...(Badman's song" anyone?)...you can say that it's too !techy" or whatever , but yes, YMMV if you have no ear or have ever tried singing!!!!!

The one who does not stand out is Curt...but he knows his limitations...

Roland has one of the most powerful and incredible voices in Pop, ever (an a HUUUUGE range!!!)...just tlisten to "The Seeds of Love " LP...(Badman's song" anyone?)...you can say that it's too !techy" or whatever , but yes, YMMV if you have no ear or have ever tried singing!!!!!

The one who does not stand out is Curt...but he knows his limitations...
Well, I'm not talking about The Seeds of Love... just this album. For whatever reason he doesn't draw me in. No need to sling insults.

Well, I'm not talking about The Seeds of Love... just this album. For whatever reason he doesn't draw me in. No need to sling insults.

Sorry , I didn't mean to insult you....

But really, are you a singer? (I would appreciate an honest answer...I have a pretty good voice , I was a tenor for 6 years in the Choirs in University and I still sing...Roland is a top notch singer!!!)

That would give you a perspective even on this one , that ,yes, it's not THAT engaging, but it's still up there....wish I had a fraction of his voice.....even the "vocal styings" in "Listen"???? They are REALLY difficult to sing..the thing about Roland is that he gets mistaken by a female singer because of his range---

Sorry , I didn't mean to insult you....

But really, are you a singer? (I would appreciate an honest answer...I have a pretty good voice , I was a tenor for 6 years in the Choirs in University and I still sing...Roland is a top notch singer!!!)

That would give you a perspective even on this one , that ,yes, it's not THAT engaging, but it's still up there....wish I had a fraction of his voice.....even the "vocal styings" in "Listen"???? They are REALLY difficult to sing..the thing about Roland is that he gets mistaken by a female singer because of his range---

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not a singer but I guess I am just not a fan of TFF. I don't get all the praise for them. But that doesn't mean they don't deserve it. It's just how I feel.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm not a singer but I guess I am just not a fan of TFF. I don't get all the praise for them. But that doesn't mean they don't deserve it. It's just how I feel.

I'd NEVER insult a member here..sorry if it came thru so badly.... I understand..it took me YEARS to "warm up" to Porcupine Tree....

Hey Kap'n...thanks for understanding. It's all good. Have a great Xmas!

Don't worry, man, we're all brothers and sisters here..sometimes somebody (like me) will eventually put their foot in their mouth!!!!

The thing is that TFF is a big fave of mine and you should watch the Live at Knebworth 1989 and /or their live in California to truly appreciate Roland's voice...these guys used to play as if the gig was a recording session!!!

I bought my TFF disc on ebay. It surprisingly does not sound as good as the reviews I have read. Usually when I load a Blu Ray in my player in the Video menu it shows the Artists name and the Title of the disc, with BD-ROM under it. When I load Songs From the Big Chair it gives no info on the Artist or Title, just say BD-ROM. I select it and it takes me to a list of the songs which are in very small print and at the bottom are the audio choices also in a very small font. Is this normal with other Blu Ray discs? Just wondering if I received a bogus copy passed off as new. As I said the sound is not impressive, almost "Silverlineish". I have played the DTS and PCM 5.1 versions. Any comments?

I bought my TFF disc on ebay. It surprisingly does not sound as good as the reviews I have read. Usually when I load a Blu Ray in my player in the Video menu it shows the Artists name and the Title of the disc, with BD-ROM under it. When I load Songs From the Big Chair it gives no info on the Artist or Title, just say BD-ROM. I select it and it takes me to a list of the songs which are in very small print and at the bottom are the audio choices also in a very small font. Is this normal with other Blu Ray discs? Just wondering if I received a bogus copy passed off as new. As I said the sound is not impressive, almost "Silverlineish". I have played the DTS and PCM 5.1 versions. Any comments?

I'm not sure what you have there but on my second listen right now, this is a big sound success. Lot's of space, nice appropriate use of the surrounds and clean. Seriously good Mr. Wilson. We need to have "The Hurting" given the same treatment.

Back