Rob Reed (Magenta mastermind) Sanctuary, solo album in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do people think of the packaging on this one?

I'm interested in buying it, but I want to make sure that there aren't the same kind of packaging issues on this release that supposedly plagued something like the Stickmen disc.

What were the packaging issues w/Stickmen (I haven't got it)?

Fwiw, the Sanctuary CD/DVD I have is in a slim/thin (i.e. compact) cardboard gatefold CD-sized affair.

Packaging of Sanctuary looks very similar to that in the pic in LizardKing's post in your 2nd link.. I'm guessing that's not good news but if it's any consolation Sanctuary turned up with card sleeve intact and disc scratch free :)

Yeah at least with Sanctuary some complained about the packaging but there did not appear to be anything wrong with the disc itself, whereas based on some of the StickMen posts the same cannot be said it appears...

My method of taking out the DVD from the cardboard (sorry for my English):

Gently press the both side edges of the opened carboard with your fingers while you're moving the cardboard downward. Voila! The gravity gets the disc slipped half way out from the cardboard :banana: .

Last edited:
My method of taking out the DVD from the cardboard (sorry for my English):

Gently press the both side edges of the opened carboard with your fingers while you're moving the cardboard downward. Voila! The gravity gets the disc slipped half out from the cardboard :banana: .

Grill, your english is just fine!:D I also use your method, but I find the disc only comes out about 1/3 of the way or not quite enough to grab the spindle hole. It bothers my OCD to touch the playing surface. How do you, or anyone else here, deal with proper disc handling if you can't get the finger to the hole to keep the disc clean? Is there a place to find poly baggies to put inside?

I own both Sanctuary and StickMen. The packaging is very similar for both, but Sanctuary is glossy, while StickMen is flat. The Sanctuary packaging feels a bit better quality. I definitely don't care for that kind of packaging. It just feels cheap. But, in both cases my discs arrived without any scratches at all. If you are careful when removing them I can't imagine them getting scratched during use.

Both have quite good surround mixes, and good music (IMO). I wouldn't hesitate to get them.

I've never managed to handle a CD or DVD in a way that would affect playback. What do you guys do wear sandpaper gloves? Fingerprints wipe off with a soft cloth.

Cheezo, I try to never wipe a disc or touch the surface more than necessary. I know it doesn't affect the sound quality, but I like to keep my investments perfect. To me it is kinda like having a '57 Chevy in cherry condition, you don't let your friends sit on the hood with jeans on, even though it won't affect the performance... much. I have found the only way I can clean my discs safely is to run them under tepid water with a drop off sunlight on my fingertip and gently rub around, rinse and blot dry with tissue, but I do it as little as needed. Maybe I am too anal about it, but after trying to sell discs in the past and hearing too many excuses why they won't pay for my discs, I prefer to be more careful and always look for suggestions to keep them new looking.

hehe - me too man....I try my hardest to keep the surfaces clean and scuff free. Not always possible...but...

Just for the record, the VERY first CD I ever bought was PLAY DEEP by The Outfield. 1985 and it's mint condition.

Cheezo, I try to never wipe a disc or touch the surface more than necessary. I know it doesn't affect the sound quality, but I like to keep my investments perfect. To me it is kinda like having a '57 Chevy in cherry condition, you don't let your friends sit on the hood with jeans on, even though it won't affect the performance... much. I have found the only way I can clean my discs safely is to run them under tepid water with a drop off sunlight on my fingertip and gently rub around, rinse and blot dry with tissue, but I do it as little as needed. Maybe I am too anal about it, but after trying to sell discs in the past and hearing too many excuses why they won't pay for my discs, I prefer to be more careful and always look for suggestions to keep them new looking.

If I had a 57 Chevy in cherry condition(and candy apple red too:)) my friend wouldn't be my friend if one of them attempted to sit on the hood...hehe...

Well packaging issues or no packaging issues…
I just went ahead and bought BOTH of them. (StickMen from amazon and Sanctuary from Burning Shed)
Looking forward to checking out both of them soon! :)

I have always been happy with Pledge Multi-Surface cleaner and a clean Magic Cloth. Works very well.

Back