Some final thoughts on the Acura ELS DVD-A systems (2004-2014/2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow, seems like this is the case, when being poor becomes sort of advantage.
at least not having allowances neither money for fancy cars, relieves off me worries,
concern and headache, could mine next car will have audio system to play DVDAs :)

Quick addendum to my previous posts:
After driving the 2015 TLX/SH-AWD/Tech/ELS, for a few weeks, I'm convinced the new system, overall, sounds cleaner.
Not to say, that I don't miss DVD/A; I do!, but the DTS CD's, sound damn good, & the rest of the options; CD's, HDD, BT Audio, Ipod, etc., sound great
There's plenty of music options, like AHA Radio, Pandora, etc.
IMHO

Quick addendum to my previous posts:
After driving the 2015 TLX/SH-AWD/Tech/ELS, for a few weeks, I'm convinced the new system, overall, sounds cleaner.
Not to say, that I don't miss DVD/A; I do!, but the DTS CD's, sound damn good, & the rest of the options; CD's, HDD, BT Audio, Ipod, etc., sound great
There's plenty of music options, like AHA Radio, Pandora, etc.
IMHO

Thanks for the update!

At least they left the DTS CD capability. If my car ever dies, and I can afford a new one (getting older here), than I may have to start converting a lot of stuff to DTS CD. (Geez, that sounds very 1999-ish) :mad:@:

Thanks for the update!

At least they left the DTS CD capability. If my car ever dies, and I can afford a new one (getting older here), than I may have to start converting a lot of stuff to DTS CD. (Geez, that sounds very 1999-ish) :mad:@:

FYI - Converting to DTS WAV with Audiomuxer is pretty painless.

Thanks for the update!

How many DTS-CDs are released these days? There are quite a few DVD-As, SACDs, Blu-ray Audios, and DTS-DVDs, but do they even release any new DTS-CDs anymore?

I just don't understand why Acura would support only that format now.

How many DTS-CDs are released these days? There are quite a few DVD-As, SACDs, Blu-ray Audios, and DTS-DVDs, but do they even release any new DTS-CDs anymore?

I just don't understand why Acura would support only that format now.

It seems the car manufacturers are dropping dvd-audio when they do a new redesign of their cars. With the redesign it means a new head unit for the car navigation/stereo which now usually means better phone integration, pandora, text readback, etc. In order to continue on with dvd-audio they would have to find or design an infotainment system that has it integrated. My guess is they are concentrating more on getting Iphone's and Android phones better integration and dvd-audio is no longer important to them. The best option would be the ability to either connect a portable hard drive or have one built in and have the ability to play 5.1 flac. These things are computers anyway so it could be done much easier than throwing dvd-audio disc playback.

I'm in the process of buying a new car myself. I already have a Hyundai Genesis which plays dvd-audio and it would be great to find a SUV with dvd-audio capabilities as well. I went and looked at the 2012 Acura RDX. The dvd-audio was great despite not playing back watermarked copies (I never play the originals anymore). The drawback on the Acura is it's lacking in features which many less expensive new SUV's have, such as the Honda CRV, Subaru Outback or Nissan Murano. The new Acura will probably have these features, but no dvd-audio. With the choice of buying an older used car (2012 RDX) for the same price as newer one with more features, better gas mileage, better phone support but no dvd-audio I went with the newer car. I'm not sure if we will see dvd-audio continue for long on any new car redesigns. My hope is hard drives with 5.1 flac support or perhaps bluray. It's a sad time for those of us who are looking for options to play our surround discs.

I know most all here are DIY'ers, but for those that aren't, it looks as though DTS CD safety copies are readily available: DELETED BY MODERATOR

I know most all here are DIY'ers, but for those that aren't, it looks as though DTS CD safety copies are readily available: deleted by moderator
Sorry for the editing of your post but unfortunately that site is providing something that is of an illegal nature. It is against forum policy to provide info like that.
Sorry...

Sorry for the editing of your post but unfortunately that site is providing something that is of an illegal nature. It is against forum policy to provide info like that.
Sorry...

Hey no problem Bob, I didn't stop to think about it, should've known better.

On another note, for those of you with first hand experience over the years with different makes and models I was wondering if there is a particular year, make and model where the factory sound stands out from the rest--in a good way that is? I wouldn't have an aversion to driving an older model if it has the best sound, or are they all about the same?

I had the 2011 RDX which I liked very much. The 2013 TL I am driving now sounds great to me

When I went to the Acura dealership to buy my 2014 RDX, my salesperson thought I was crazy that I just wanted to sit in the vehicle and test out the ELS Premium Audio system. I was swapping out DVD-As and tweaking the bass and treble settings. Eventually we went on a test drive. You should have seen his face as we rode down the highway blasting "Enter Sandman."

I have an Acura 2013 TL and didn't spring the extra $$ for the ELS sound / Navi package (which I now sort of regret). The car does have a dolby pro logic II decoder though. What I have been doing is converting my multichannel DVD-A's and SACD's into 2 channel LT/RT mixes using that mode in my oppo player, anmd cutting MP3 files . This results in a quasi Dolby matrix encoded version of the discrete material..Doesn't sound bad..in some cases the F/B separation is quite amazing

For what it's worth, I've been tweeting back and forth with @ELSPremiumAudio. I think if enough people around here show their support, they could at least look into moving on to Blu-ray, or bringing back DVD-A.

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 7.52.25 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-09-02 at 7.54.21 AM.png

Just traded my 2005 TL towards a 2013 TSX Tech (upgrade from 8 speakers to 10), so I'm still in the ELS game for the next few years, at least.

I was thinking of doing something similar. my 2009 TLX has 150K miles and is going strong, but 150K is where I start thinking about a new one.

How would you compare the sound in the two vehicles? And in a non-surround question, how's the gas mileage?

I was thinking of doing something similar. my 2009 TLX has 150K miles and is going strong, but 150K is where I start thinking about a new one.

How would you compare the sound in the two vehicles? And in a non-surround question, how's the gas mileage?
The new one (2013 TSX) sounds significantly better, and I was still really happy with the old one (2005 TL)! The 2 extra speakers, front channels in the rear doors, finally allow rear seat passengers to hear good surround, and the larger amp helps too. The hard drive is a good trade-off for losing the 6-disc changer, also. It's also much more forgiving with problem DVD-As & DTS CDs. I don't know about the mileage yet, I'm still on my 1st tank of gas!

I am sure this has already been posted somewhere here ... but the ELS system in my Acura TL only plays DVD-Audio and DTS CD disks, NOT multichannel audio from Audio DVDs like the recent Jethro Tull releases. I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out how to make DVD-Audio or DTS CD copies of them, so I am unable to listen to a lot of my surround sound music in my car. I do like that I can play 2-channel CDs through its Dolby Pro-Logic II decoder though. Given that DVD-Audio has been on life-support for several years, I really wish that car companies would start putting SACD players in their vehicles. That format seems at least to be alive, and mobile systems might encourage more MC SACD releases.

Back