ALL ABOUT MUSIC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are killing me man...hehe...I knew if it was an old photo it would be from the 80's...that's very cool...I wish I had some pictures of me and my ex wife in Acapulco when we saw Billy Preston...the "show" started at 2am...it was on a small patch of grass in a courtyard of an upscale disco.. they provided a cushion to sit on...only about 70 people there...they never announced it...I was stoned out of my mind..everybody was in formal attire(a requirement of this club to get in)...and Billy really got down..he was in his prime then...

a cushion? i have a tough time believing anyone was sitting...visions of flailing arms and finger pointing!...hehe.. small..intimate..impromptu...had to be one of the coolest experiences...

a cushion? i have a tough time believing anyone was sitting...visions of flailing arms and finger pointing!...hehe.. small..intimate..impromptu...had to be one of the coolest experiences...

It was more like giving you a defined space..since they were no chairs...and at $125 per person(a lot at the time)I guess they wanted to give you something:wave

Last edited:
There is a cool article in issue 1231(March 26, 2015) of Rolling Stone Magazine about Bill Withers entitled The Soul Man Who Walked Away..."In 1970, Bill Withers was a guy in his thirties with a job and a lunch pail. Then he wrote "Ain't No Sunshine", and things got complicated"...after a string of hits in the 70's..he wrapped up his career after his 1985 album and never looked back...he's now 76 and says he wouldn't know a pop chart from a pop tart....few walk away on their own terms like Bill did...Bill is so far under the radar that he is seldom recognized in public...he recalled an incident at a local eatery when he overheard some church ladies talking about this Bill Withers song they had sung in church...he leaned over to their booth and told them who he was and the reply he got was "you ain't no Bill Withers, you're too light skinned to be Bill Withers"...by his account his career lasted 8 years..and he was stunned by his admission to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame...he said "I'm not a virtuoso, but I was able to write songs that people could identify with..I don't think I've done bad for a guy from Slab Fork West Virigina"...from the kid that was born with a "stutter" and had a hard time fitting in I'd say Bill did quite well for himself.....it's a good read if you get a chance to check it out...Andy Greene wrote the piece..

As a supplement to Clint's post I highly recommend a 2013 long-form radio interview with him on Bullseye. Look for episode #75:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/npr-bullseye-with-jesse-thorn/id73331298?mt=2

There is a cool article in issue 1231(March 26, 2015) of Rolling Stone Magazine about Bill Withers entitled The Soul Man Who Walked Away..."In 1970, Bill Withers was a guy in his thirties with a job and a lunch pail. Then he wrote "Ain't No Sunshine", and things got complicated"...after a string of hits in the 70's..he wrapped up his career after his 1985 album and never looked back...he's now 76 and says he wouldn't know a pop chart from a pop tart....few walk away on their own terms like Bill did...Bill is so far under the radar that he is seldom recognized in public...he recalled an incident at a local eatery when he overheard some church ladies talking about this Bill Withers song they had sung in church...he leaned over to their booth and told them who he was and the reply he got was "you ain't no Bill Withers, you're too light skinned to be Bill Withers"...by his account his career lasted 8 years..and he was stunned by his admission to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame...he said "I'm not a virtuoso, but I was able to write songs that people could identify with..I don't think I've done bad for a guy from Slab Fork West Virigina"...from the kid that was born with a "stutter" and had a hard time fitting in I'd say Bill did quite well for himself.....it's a good read if you get a chance to check it out...Andy Greene wrote the piece..

When the topic of Steely Dan comes up...I'm all ears...so today I get an email from CDJapan about an upcoming CD release...it's called Southland....HERE....which has been around for awhile as a bootleg of some live performances from 1974....but I was intrigued that Japan would take on such a project..so I did some more sleuthing and amazon UK will offer it as well HERE

I generally don't like live performances...I prefer the studio recordings for better sound quality...and CD's aren't my medium of choice(but I'm still buying them)...but I'm wondering if any members can shed some light on these performances...I would just dismiss it as bootlegs being put on a CD if it weren't for Japan's involvement in this project...

Maybe Lute can translate the Japanese in the product description on CDJapan...

Here's what the description in Japanese said:

A compilation of the Southland and Steely Dan early Steely Dan live recordings. Live album "pretzel logic" at the announcement of, disk 1 is 3/10/1974, concert at the University of California, disk 2 is 10 days after 3/20 Studio sessions at the record plant in Los Angeles, respectively. Works as a live band will be live and inactive since the pretzel logic album production must continue to appoint session musician Donald Fagen Walter Becker Combi before their valuable performance. Michael McDonald was also participating. All 19 songs recording.

When the topic of Steely Dan comes up...I'm all ears...so today I get an email from CDJapan about an upcoming CD release...it's called Southland....HERE....which has been around for awhile as a bootleg of some live performances from 1974....but I was intrigued that Japan would take on such a project..so I did some more sleuthing and amazon UK will offer it as well HERE

I generally don't like live performances...I prefer the studio recordings for better sound quality...and CD's aren't my medium of choice(but I'm still buying them)...but I'm wondering if any members can shed some light on these performances...I would just dismiss it as bootlegs being put on a CD if it weren't for Japan's involvement in this project...

Maybe Lute can translate the Japanese in the product description on CDJapan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back