ALL ABOUT MUSIC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I have been feeling waves of musical nostalgia...so I broke out some old cds...some oldie compilation discs with 60's music...and some electronic dance mixes..one song I have always loved is RHYTHM IS A DANCER.....reminds of dance clubs...it's a mix that is so upbeat it brings your mood up...elevates your spirits...at one time in my life I wanted to be a DJ(when I wasn't dreaming of being a star athlete or some type of hero)and playing that song in an upbeat club...I don't think these guys that do the electronic dance mixes get enough credit...it's more art than science...

Of course busting out these CD's has a downside..makes me think of how many CDs I gave away...geeze..what a mistake that was...I just hope the people I gave them to used them...I'm looking at some of these CDs...Buddy Guy..Lenny Kravitz(when he was a singer not some wannabe model)Robert Cray..Al DiMeola..Bill Withers..Thom Rotella...what a spectrum...

[video=youtube;u3ltZmI5LQw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ltZmI5LQw[/video]

For those in the Chicago area...a reminder of the AXPONA audio show coming up soon...HERE are the details

Speaking of AXPONA, the folks from Lampizator will be at the show demonstrating their top of the line "Big 7" and "Golden Gate" DACs. If you are at AXPONA, the Lampizator demo will be a must hear!

I had never seen this doc before. Put it on my 'list' on Netflix awhile back and finally watched it today. Excellent!

hearmytrain_cover_0.jpg

Listened to "Who's Next", & "Live at Leeds"; both Deluxe editions, as well as Warren Zevon's "Stand in the Fire"; Japanese CD, over the weekend.
1st the Who; I probably own every version of Who's Next; the Deluxe edition is even better than the SACD; amazing dynamic range, & clarity; ergo, Live at Leeds
The Warren Japanese CD is an amazing listen; reminds me of when I saw him in the '80's; great R&R

Another birthday to celebrate today...Eric Patrick Clapton is 70 today...a 3 time inductee to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame...as a solo artist and with the Yardbirds and Cream...I salute his musical prowess... ...he is a great guitar player and has provided a lot of quality music over the years... so HAPPY BIRTHDAY SLOWHAND...

Besides the Beatles, & Stones E.C. made me smile, more than anyone
Thanks, Eric, for being you.

Love Elton John....I think he's one of the greatest treasures in music.....

The very first bootleg album I ever bought was Kornyfone's "No Title", which has the 1973 Hammersmith/BBC show on it.

I spent way, way too long in the dentist's chair last Thursday, but not long after getting there I realized they were playing THAT version of "Rocket Man". OK, it's not that crazy since the show was eventually officially released on the big GYBR set, but it was definitely an interesting moment.

Call me a nerd (go ahead, I'll wait...) but I think it's annoying that the official release omits the Brian Matthew "Hello and welcome!" introduction.

I just want to make a comment about Grooves website in Germany...I got a great price and the shipping was included and reached me quickly in 12 days...I'll do business with them again:)...I paid $22.09 for Sparkle In The Rain...

I realize we have a thread for DSD downloads....but where is a thread for "listening to FLAC...or recently purchased FLAC? Surely we have such a thread (s)??
Had a couple of my comments deleted when I posted FLAC downloads on the DSD thread...so....where to post such things?

I realize we have a thread for DSD downloads....but where is a thread for "listening to FLAC...or recently purchased FLAC? Surely we have such a thread (s)??
Had a couple of my comments deleted when I posted FLAC downloads on the DSD thread...so....where to post such things?

That's one of the few things on this forum that really bugs me..."thread-itis"...too many threads to cover the same concept...a simple "listening" thread could cover them all..a simple "purchase" thread could cover them all...instead of all these separate threads..sometimes I just give up and don't post what I'm doing...it's not worth the aggrevation.....

That's one of the few things on this forum that really bugs me..."thread-itis"...too many threads to cover the same concept...a simple "listening" thread could cover them all..a simple "purchase" thread could cover them all...instead of all these separate threads..sometimes I just give up and don't post what I'm doing...it's not worth the aggrevation.....

OK then. I will post here. So, I crept even further down the dark path and purchased a few FLAC music files via Acoustic Sounds. My instant feeling is that...yes.....the FLAC files are inferior to the DSD files. But......DSD files are limited in numbers. FLAC files are growing at a very fast rate. Are they better than standard CD's? I dunno. But, I do have some non scientific comments.....

So - I just bought VAN HALEN - WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST. I chose the FLAC 192 khz / 24 Bit download....it's the best they have for that title.

XWAR91252F192__104733__03252015034616-2889.jpg

Let me say - I can tell you that this is the very best I've heard this particular title. But, realizing that this style of music (bombastic hard rock in your face) is probably hard to improve upon. I know this album well enough that I instantly noticed an improved bottom end and "jammability". Still, it was lacking some lower end, which I easily fixed by adjusting my SUB. Don't like doing that...but the controls are an arm length away for me...so no biggie.

I'm very pleased with how I can flat out turn this up to maximum volume. Again, sounds about as good as it ever has. So, for that...being a HALEN fan from the Roth era...I'm very happy with this purchase. All I can say is.....TURN IT UP FOR MAXIMUM RESULTS.....

Take Your Whiskey Home...sounds amazing IMO!!

Couple more comments about the FLAC version of Van Halen. I've listened to the whole disc. No doubt whatsoever that this FLAC file is much improved sonics over any version I've ever heard. I'm freaking pleased as hell. I heard pieces of songs I didn't know existed.....so cool. I might go ahead and buy the FLAC of Van Halen II! I chose Women and Children First cause I figured it was newer and potentially sounded better.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back