Q8 Tape Player Gallery!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi there i'm new in this forum and first i want to say hello to everyone
then there is a question. i have a sanyo music center that does have a 8 track 4 channel player but i don't have any four channel cassette, so i want to know what must be happened when i push a stereo 8 track cassette in the player and set the selector to 4 channel?thank you.

I know this is a somewhat old thread, however; the quadraphonic 8-track is somewhat new to me. :)

Harman Kardon Model 8+ hooked up to a Sony QSD-1000

The hookup:

i have a sanyo music center that does have a 8 track 4 channel player but i don't have any four channel cassette, so i want to know what must be happened when i push a stereo 8 track cassette in the player and set the selector to 4 channel?

Does your Sanyo music center have four speakers? If so, I suspect you'll get the two channel stereo sound that's being played through your front speakers repeated in your two rear speakers as well.

:)

Harman Kardon Model 8+ hooked up to a Sony QSD-1000

Does the Sony SQD-1000 function as an amplifier as well as a decoder? If it's just a decoder, I thought it was only required for playing encoded LPs. A quad 8-track would already have four discrete channels, would it not?

:confused:

Last edited:
Does the Sony QSD-1000 function as an amplifier as well as a decoder? If it's just a decoder, I thought it was only required for playing encoded LPs.

The Sony SQD-1000 is a decoder / controller. It will decode SQ encoded records when switched to the SQ or SQ Ambient positions. It can also accept inputs from a discrete 4-channel, quadraphonic, source, e.g. Harman Kardon Model 8+. The volume control controls the four-channel outputs of the SQD-1000 whether, discrete or from the SQ matrix. As a controller it drives with two stereo amplifiers, front and back, driving four loudspeakers, Left front, right front, left back and right back. It is designed to be connected in the front amplifier's tape monitor loop.

The FUNCTION selector knob has four positions:

2 CH ….. Use this position to listen to conventional stereophonic programs (FM, record and tape) as two channels. In this position, there is no sound in the back channels.

SQ ….. Use this position to listen to SQ encoded programs or conventional stereophonic programs. In this position, sound from all four speakers are the same level. If a SQ encoded source is used, the playback result will be full SQ quadraphonic sound. If an ordinary two-channel stereo source is used, a synthesized quadraphonic sound will result, sometimes to very good effect.

SQ AMBIENT ….. This is the same as the SQ position with the exception that the back channels are attenuated, that is reduced in level. While still producing four channel sound, the sound image is moved forward towards the front of the listening environment. Use this position when the source material or listener preference dictates lower level back channel sound.

4 CH (TAPE) ….. Use this position to listen to discrete four channel recorded tapes or other discrete four channel sources connected to the 4 CH Inputs on the back of the SQD-1000.

A quad 8-track would already have four discrete channels, would it not?
Yes, you are correct. The Harman Kardon is hooked up to the discrete four channel inputs on the back of the SQD-1000

Any chance you have a cable hookup wiring diagram for the Craig 3140? I want to feed the output to my Panasonic 7750 input and cant remember which is the power lead on the craig.

New at this but here goes. And thanks for the help.

Photo 1 is the view of the cinch connector from the back of the player. Not much info there.

Photo 2 is with the back cover folded down. I see the green wire is soldered from the cinch to the chassis ground. The red from the cinch goes under a solder post board and changes to a white wire, then connects through the 4-252T coil on the back left of the cover and turns into a green wire. The green wire then connects to the printed circuit board at the right top corner of the image.

Photo 3 The possibly hot green wire shows connecting to the PC board at the bottom right next to the white capacitor.

Check out the heat sink transistor bank!

cinch1.jpgcinch2.jpgcinch3.jpg

I stared at the wires long enough and decided, no guts - no glory. I bread boarded a bunch of AA batteries and hooked it up. It worked! And I even got left and right correct. Just front and back was backwards.

Heres the list.
Black - 12 volts negative and ground.
Red - 12 volts positive
Green - Left Front
Yellow - Right Front
Blue - Left Back
White - Right Back

I just heard Moody Blues in discreet 4 channel sound for the first time in decades. Even playing through the cheap speakers bolted to the ceiling of my cellar workshop its very good.

Harman Kardon Model 8+ hooked up to a Sony QSD-1000.

Now my "understanding" is that quad 8-tracks played through your Harman Kardon Model 8+ would already produce four discrete channels and therefore not need decoding. Could you not just hook your Harman Kardon Model 8+ up to an amplifier or receiver with four channel/speaker capability and get quadrophonic sound?

Now my "understanding" is that quad 8-tracks played through your Harman Kardon Model 8+ would already produce four discrete channels and therefore not need decoding. Could you not just hook your Harman Kardon Model 8+ up to an amplifier or receiver with four channel/speaker capability and get quadrophonic sound?

The Sony SQD-1000 does not decode the signal on the 4 CH - TAPE input. The Sony allows one to switch between quadraphonic sources, either decoded SQ or discrete, and control the volume of all four channel with one volume control. There is a full description of the Sony's functions in post #125.

The Sony SQD-1000 is a decoder / controller. It will decode SQ encoded records when switched to the SQ or SQ Ambient positions. It can also accept inputs from a discrete 4-channel, quadraphonic, source, e.g. Harman Kardon Model 8+. The volume control controls the four-channel outputs of the SQD-1000 whether, discrete or from the SQ matrix. As a controller it drives with two stereo amplifiers, front and back, driving four loudspeakers, Left front, right front, left back and right back. It is designed to be connected in the front amplifier's tape monitor loop.

Can you not therefore dispense of the Sony SQD-1000 and hook your Harman Kardon Model 8+ into an amplifier or receiver with inputs and outputs for four channels?

Can you not therefore dispense of the Sony SQD-1000 and hook your Harman Kardon Model 8+ into an amplifier or receiver with inputs and outputs for four channels?

Yes, of course, if one has the additional inputs. The Sony SQD-1000 was one of the first matrix decoders. Most users used it with two stereo amplifiers, connected to four speakers, to comprise a quadraphonic system. In such a configuration, the advantage of using the SQD-1000 was the "master" volume control that could control volume on all four channels with one knob. Connecting a quadraphonic tape player to the SQD-1000 4 Ch input allowed for one volume control to control all four channels at once. The alternative, was to connect the quadraphonic tape player to auxiliary inputs of two separate stereo amplifiers. In that case one would have to adjust the front and back amplifiers separately every time one wanted to change volume.

Which present day amplifiers or receivers would you think would work best with your Harman Kardon Model 8+?

:kitty:

Which present day amplifiers or receivers would you think would work best with your Harman Kardon Model 8+?
The Harman Kardon Model 8+ has line level outputs, so, any modern multi-channel A/V receiver with analog 5.1 channel inputs would work just fine. In this case, one would not use the center and subwoofer inputs on the receiver.

Hi Quadmon,

First of all, congratulations on the beautiful devices. (y)
I'm also looking for an 8-track player and recorder. But this must work with 220 volts in Germany / Europe.
So if you want to hand one in - I look forward to receiving the relevant information - thanks a lot

Hi Quadmon,

First of all, congratulations on the beautiful devices. (y)
I'm also looking for an 8-track player and recorder. But this must work with 220 volts in Germany / Europe.
So if you want to hand one in - I look forward to receiving the relevant information - thanks a lot

Stereo or quad?
Recorder + Quad = Akai CR80SS or Technics 858, no more choices.
The Akai can work anywhere, it does have selectors for voltage and frequency.

I keep wanting to get a quad 8-track player but I just haven't. When I worked at Telex, we made the decks for the Ford Motor Company to put into their radio/tape units, stereo and quad. The quad decks only went into Thunderbirds and Lincolns. I was the technical liaison and traveled to Don Mills,Toronto (quad) and Lansdale, Philadelphia (stereo) to help them iron out any problems they had. It was almost always a difference in test tapes.

When production was discontinued, Ford gave me one of the quad radios in appreciation. It was pretty advanced for 1978 with no knobs - all push buttons and momentary rocker switches, fluorescent digital readout, etc. (there are images of it on google) and I had it set up on my desk/bench back at the factory. My cohort and I had a quad setup in our work area.

When Telex closed, I took the radio with me but the last time I tried to use it, no light up - nothing. I took it all apart to fix it but didn't make much progress and it still sits in a box, all apart, waiting. Its rather congested construction makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

Doug

Back