Dynaquad Discs & Recommended

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I thought I would post info from SOURCE TO SOUND on dynaquad recommended discs as I noticed one member was curious what discs were dynaquad and wanted to know where to find such a list.

So for QQ members curious the following are as stated:

RECOMMENDED BY DYNACO......AND RECOMMENDATIONS BY DYNA QUAD OWNERS.

and of course......at least three are confirmed to be DYNAQUAD ENCODED.

From the very informative book by KEN SESSIONS:
20150612_141718.jpg20150612_141733.jpg20150612_141741.jpg20150612_141745.jpg20150612_141805.jpg

Some of these discs are well worth checking out for your matrix encode.

I never utilized a DYNAQUAD Decoder but did use a Sansui QS decoder and the results were very surprising.

The Lee Michaels is a live disc and the track mentioned does indeed have the audience singing along in the rear.Also Grandchester Meadows goes in a circular fashion when at the end with the chap walking stairs chasing the fly.
Also The RCA Fiedler, John Murtaugh are equally worth checking out, and The Doors, well they recorded their discs to complement any surround matrix.
I'm certain Dolby Pro should also present interesting rear channel info.

le fizze

Some of these discs are well worth checking out for your matrix encode.

I never utilized a DYNAQUAD Decoder but did use a Sansui QS decoder and the results were very surprising.

The Lee Michaels is a live disc and the track mentioned does indeed have the audience singing along in the rear.Also Grandchester Meadows goes in a circular fashion when at the end with the chap walking stairs chasing the fly.
Also The RCA Fiedler, John Murtaugh are equally worth checking out, and The Doors, well they recorded their discs to complement any surround matrix.
I'm certain Dolby Pro should also present interesting rear channel info.

le fizze

Great list. I have a few of those titles on vinyl (not the actual DY ones though). Unfortunately I cant rip vinyl right now or use my "Multi-Matrix" modules in "on the fly" mode. I may have a couple on CD, Ill have to check.

Yes, QS does an excellent job on DY. The 4 corners are practically perfect, the only real problems are the sides are not decoded exactly right and the final phase corrections to back channels are not needed.

I can also testify to two more discs with superb rear channel action;

EMERSON LAKE & PALMER-EMERSON LAKE & PALMER....listen to Carl's drum solo in "Tank"

THE WHO-LIVE AT LEEDS........Townsend's guitar in "Magic Bus"

Must be unique mic' ing techniques involved with these recordings. Blumlein or ORTF or ambient extraction of some kind.

Incredible so many discs were reported! This was early in the 70's after all.

der fhissle

The Flame LP DynaQuad Instruction Insert.jpgDynaco 4-Dimensional Stereo Demonstration Disc.jpgDynaco 5 Channel Home Theater System QD-1 Series II.jpgDynaco QD-1 Quadaptor.jpgI just happened upon this thread and thought I'd toss in a list of few additional DY releases. These happen to be from my quad collection.

OTHER DYNAQUAD LP RELEASES

Eno, Brian -On Land
Erickson, Raymond -The Erickson Tapes
McCarthy, Jim -Alien
Syntonic Research -Environments Disc 1: The Psychologically Ultimate Seashore/Optimum Aviary
" " -Environments Disc 2: Tintinnabulation/Dawn At New Hope Pennsylvania
" " -Environments Disc 3: Be-In/ Dusk At New Hope, Pennsylvannia
" " -Environments Disc 4: Ultimate Thunderstorm/Gentle Rain In A Pine Forest
" " -Environments Disc 5: Ultimate Heartbeat/Wind In The Trees
" " -Environments Disc 6: Dawn In The Okefenokee Swamp/Dusk In The Okefenokee Swamp
" " -Environments Disc 7: Intonation/Summer Cornfield
" " -Environments Disc 8: Wood Masted Sailboat/A Country Stream
" " -Environments Disc 9: Pacific Ocean/Caribbean Lagoon
" " -Environments Disc 10: English Meadow/Night In The Country
" " -Environments Disc 11: Alpine Blizzard/Country Thunderstorm

Additionally there are another 8-10 titles of obscure artists listed at:
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadindx.htm

Above are images of the Dynaco 4-Dimensional Stereo Demonstration Disc, the DIY wiring diagram insert from The Flame LP, and of the Dynaco QD-1 and Dynaco QD-1 Series II decoders.

While I have both, these are not photos my units. The QD-1 is used, but in its original box. I bought the Series II new, but have to admit that I never hooked either of them up.

These decoders are both 'passive' units with no A/C or 12V D/C power inputs. They operated simply from the speaker line outputs and then fed the system speakers.

Unfortunately, this is just another one of the surround sound formats that never took hold with the buying public.

The Brian Eno disc was one of my finds for Larry Clifton's catalogue and quarterly.If I remember correctly....Brian recommends all his "Ambient Series" discs utilize the DYNAQUAD process for decoding.

I include a pic from AUDIO magazine on DYNAQUAD.Sorry for the small pic though, still trying to master my tablet's camera.And I will try and post the other disc soon.20150612_142335.jpg

The Brian Eno disc was one of my finds for Larry Clifton's catalogue and quarterly.If I remember correctly....Brian recommends all his "Ambient Series" discs utilize the DYNAQUAD process for decoding.

I include a pic from AUDIO magazine on DYNAQUAD.Sorry for the small pic though, still trying to master my tablet's camera.And I will try and post the other disc soon.View attachment 19476

Were they ever released on CD? Would they decode well via ProLogic II or Neo? Involves Surround Master?

Part 2 picture from AUDIO FEB 71

Duncan,

-If your referring to the BRIAN ENO discs, yes they are available on cd, the surround results vary, but as Mr.Eno utilizes a lot of effects and synth keyboard, you should find them "matrix decode" friendly.

bottom pg. Sig Loomis on the DYNAQUAD label K L RECORDS of Huberus Wisconsin.
20150624_082445.jpg

plus the back cover of another K L RECORD
20150624_082647.jpg20150624_082710.jpg

More. DYNAQUAD ??

DECCA RECORDS, DEUSCHE GRAMMAPHONE, AND OTHER RELATED LABELS OF UNIVERSAL'S CLASSICAL MUSIC FAMILY, released a large number of CD'S in their "AMSI" system of surround.
"AMSI" stands for:.......AMBIENT SURROUND IMAGING.
You can find many of these discs on the : " ELOQUENCE SERIES " CD releases, clearly marked AMSI and surround is indicated on all I have seen to date.

You can check out the lists of AMSI on -UMUSIC.CA....but other UNIVERSAL sites should have them as well.

Additional "BEACH BOYS" discs and others mixed in Quad and Encoded by "STEVEN DESPER"

IN DYNAQUAD........

15 BIG ONES
LOVE YOU ( 2 SONGS)
KEEPING THE SUMMER ALIVE
THE SPRING (the U.S. group)

(only 2 songs) CARL AND THE PASSIONS-SO TOUGH

There is an excellent exhange between Ray Shakleford and Steven Desper regarding the handful of DYNAQUAD ENCODED discs that were made for the Beach Boys label (Brother Records).
Also a couple of discs encoded by other than "The Beach Boys" and encoded but not released, at least one title by Dennis Wilson.

This info is via DNAQUAD WIKIPEDIA. I tried to capture a link but failed however it is......

http://brianwilson.websitetoolbox.com/post/the-flame-reissue-6987535

fizz

I tried to find a copy of Recording the Beach Boys by Stephen Desper and I'm not sure it exists, I know no-one who has it, nor have I seen it for sale. The Flames website disappeared. Bas, are you out there?

However, the Desper stuff on the smileysmile board is the revised edition. Just not published, collated, or aggregated. I hope it doesn't disappear, he does reference quad and some heavy concepts about spatial perception.

Just a few bits and excerpts that I have collected and might offer on the Beach Boys and Steve Desper DY recordings.

******************************************************************************************************************

Forum with Steve Desper commenting on BB and the development and use of the Spatializer. Also comments (previous?) from Brad Elliot, Alan Boyd , Jon Stebbins , AGD , Don Cunningham

http://www.surfermoon.com/essays/desperarchive.html

******************************************************************************************************************
Recording The BB By Steve Desper.jpg
RECORDING THE BEACH BOYS
Recording the Beach Boys by Stephen W. Desper gives a detailed and insightful look into the making of the Sunflower and Surf's Up albums and the recording techniques employed in their production, as written by the chief mixer and recordings engineer for these sessions. Hidden within the stereo release of these two albums is a virtual surround-sound listening experience. The book comes with a unique device enabling any fan to optimize their stereo system and to realize the complete and accurate virtual surround listening experience hidden in all stereo releases of Sunflower and Surf's Up. - O.O.P.

Recording The Beach Boys by Steve Desper

DESCRIPTION OF BOOK

A forward by Alan Boyd

Two sections detailing impressions of daily studio activities, from my point of view as sole recording engineer involved in creating the "Sunflower" & "Surf's Up" albums.

Various engineering subjects of special note concerned with the recording techniques of the time; written in a non-technical style.

Song-by-song commentary about the recording of each selection on both "Sunflower" & "Surf's Up" albums.

The book's song commentary will undoubtedly elevate your listening awareness and give you an increased appreciation for the songs of "Sunflower" & "Surf's Up."

Copy of session lyric sheet used by Carl and Brian Wilson included.

46 pages
8.5 x 11 inches
12 point type
approximately 22,000 words

Former Beach Boys engineer Stephen Desper talks about his recording techniques. This was originally offered with a special sound device: "This book comes with a unique device enabling any fan to optimize their stereo system and to realize the complete and accurate virtual surround listening experience hidden in all stereo releases of 'Sunflower' & 'Surf's Up.'"

Also a Dynaco DIY Wiring Diagram from Popular Mechanics 11-71.
Dynaco DIY Wiring Diagram Popular Mechanics 11-71.jpg

Not trying to get this thread to narrow down the Beach Boys DY path, but you might want to check out these links.

Audio segment (~10 minutes) of Stephen Desper's Quadrophonic Sound Seminar [circa 1971]
https://vimeo.com/21000610

Dennis Wilson - Quadrophonic Sound Pieces
https://vimeo.com/21000459

All Of My Love - Dennis Wilson & In the back of my mind instrumental
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SpzSFwzCU4

Also a little more info on Dynaco Quadadaptor
http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/QD1/index.html

Back