Listening to NOW.. Stereo FLAC download

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, 15% off on HD Tracks right now with coupon HDMAY12. I guess that's where you got it?

So, how's the bass?

Unfortunately, I will admit this was a "spur of the moment...I have severe jet lag" purchase. I didn't "shop" around. I payed the higher price at Acoustic Sounds. Anyway, that's the thing. The bass is somewhat better than the physical disc I have...so for that, I am pleased. Still....thin in general.

Chick Corea Trio - "Trilogy" 24/96 Stereo via HDtracks. This is a 3 disc set so the "gold" membership 20% off coupon really helped - not sure why I'm a gold member but I'll take it. Taken from Chick's 2014 world tour. The acoustic trio consists of Chick, Christian McBride on bass and Brian Blade on drums.. Expert musicianship, arrangements and recording.

OK, just now listening to LED ZEPPELIN II - downloaded at 96/24 from Acoustic Sounds. I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed. I admit, I went straight for PL II and I cannot believe how good it sounds. I mean.....blindfold me and I might think I'm listening to a traditional surround MIX. It's a bit striking.....

This is fun.

Checking out Houses Of The Holy on FLAC 96/24. Sounds very good...again.....nice interpretation on PL II. I like it. This was a worthwhile purchase. Oh boy....one of my favorite stoner songs....sounds excellent. NO QUARTER! Which, the name could be interpreted a couple ways....

:smokin

HOUSEKEEPING ALERT:

Gentlemen, and Ladies,
You may notice that some video clips that had nothing to do with FLAC Downloads have been removed from this thread. Please don't post anything here that doesn't discuss a FLAC download. The only exception might be a comparison of a FLAC download to another copy on some other format like CD, SACD, etc.

If you're not sure where it goes, the ALL ABOUT MUSIC thread is as good a place as any for potpourri.

Thanks for your cooperation in keeping QQ clean.

Rod Stewart - "Blondes Have More Fun"

image.jpg

IRON MAIDEN - Piece Of Mind

96/24

I forgot how much I adore this album...and this 96/24 download sounds very good for the genre and age. My CD never sounded this good...

piece+of+mind.jpg

IRON MAIDEN - Piece Of Mind

96/24

I forgot how much I adore this album...and this 96/24 download sounds very good for the genre and age. My CD never sounded this good...

View attachment 19664
GOS, please help me... You've really got me interested in this. Where does one go to download hi-Rez music and once downloaded, how do you play it? I play all my music either from discs on my OPPO, or from wave and apple lossless files created on my computer from red book CDs and saved on a hard drive that is connected to my OPPO. Is there a thread that explains how all this works? Will my OPPO play FLAC files? Am I going to go broke once I start down the hi-Rez download road? (I can barely keep up with purchasing all the surround discs, but the idea of better sounding Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin as compared to my red book CDs is really intriguing!)

GOS, please help me... You've really got me interested in this. Where does one go to download hi-Rez music and once downloaded, how do you play it? I play all my music either from discs on my OPPO, or from wave and apple lossless files created on my computer from red book CDs and saved on a hard drive that is connected to my OPPO. Is there a thread that explains how all this works? Will my OPPO play FLAC files? Am I going to go broke once I start down the hi-Rez download road? (I can barely keep up with purchasing all the surround discs, but the idea of better sounding Iron Maiden and Led Zeppelin as compared to my red book CDs is really intriguing!)

I don't recall if there is a thread dedicated to this topic....

Yeah, your Oppo should handle them...I mean mine does. I have the BDP-103...which one is yours?
So, there are several HI-REZ download sites. To date, I've purchased most of mine from Acoustic Sounds...but for sure...HDTracks has way, way more choices. You will find that there is no multi-channel of any significance...it's 99% 2 channel. So there's that...

Anyway, once you buy a download from either site, they will provide a program (free) that allows you to download the files to your laptop. From there it's up to you what you do with them. I drag them to a memory stick and play it through my OPPO. HDTracks does not have DSD quality downloads, while Acoustic sounds has Flac, and higher end DSD...which is the best quality. But the DSD choices they have tends to not be any rock...mostly jazz or classical or things like that. They do have some classic rock selections in DSD...example would be Alan Parsons. That sounds excellent in DSD.

That sounds great. Thanks. By the way, does the hirez version of "piece of mind" sound compressed like my remastered cd? I stupidly replaced all my original CDs from the 80s with remastered versions later on, only to realize that the sound quality of the later versions was terrible.

That sounds great. Thanks. By the way, does the hirez version of "piece of mind" sound compressed like my remastered cd? I stupidly replaced all my original CDs from the 80s with remastered versions later on, only to realize that the sound quality of the later versions was terrible.

Yes, it's a bit compressed...compared to some other things I've downloaded. But, I listen to it in PL II and it sounds pretty damn great. Still compressed a bit I'm afraid.

I did something worse...I thought I was thru with CD's and just gave mine away...now I'm slowly buying the older one's again after I research them...I've had great success re-buying them...

You can see how the more recent remastering jobs have really compressed this album HERE

Back