"Best of Doors" 4.0 Surround SACD from Audio Fidelity (June 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was getting ready to post my thoughts on this disc when I saw this "review" of the disc...of course everybody is entitled to their opinion but to say the disc is "bright" makes little sense to me...especially considering the past efforts of Perception and the individual Analogue SACD's...I love that site and it is very useful for locating discs...

Just finished listening to THE DOORS-THE BEST OF THE DOORS .This is going to be a hard act to follow for A.F.Great quad mix by Botnick!

But for my money I wouldn't mind a little RCA quad such as: JEFFERSON AIRPLANE, THE GUESS WHO, or HARRY NILSSON.

Oh, I thought someone said recently on here (Jon?) the Quad mix was by someone called Paul Rothschild?

I was getting ready to post my thoughts on this disc when I saw this "review" of the disc...of course everybody is entitled to their opinion but to say the disc is "bright" makes little sense to me...especially considering the past efforts of Perception and the individual Analogue SACD's...I love that site and it is very useful for locating discs...

Well, the reviews on QQ of Best of the Doors are certainly positive. But you never get a perfect score from listeners and reviewers on any release.
Best bet is to depend on your own results as the one review that really counts!

To say this disc is bright surprises me. I have 3 of the Quadradisc to SACD from Audio Fidelity and I find all of them to have high frequency roll off. I compared the SACD stereo tracks with the quad tracks on Best of the Guess Who and the same songs from the SACD quad disc to the same DVDA songs from the Doors Perception set. I didn't compare the Best of Bread to anything it was boring and lifeless.

IMO the master tapes used for the Quadradisc and then quad SACD rolled off the highs because of the 18KHZ subcarrier used for the CD4 encoding process. Apparently CD4 offered four discrete channels but at a cost of high frequency response. I enjoyed CD4 back in the days when they were being released particularly Seals and Croft.

I enjoy both the Guess Who and Doors Best of SACDs but there is a price, high frequency response, paid to get them in quad and I prefer quad over stereo. Would be nice if they had open reel quad masters.

To say this disc is bright surprises me. I have 3 of the Quadradisc to SACD from Audio Fidelity and I find all of them to have high frequency roll off. I compared the SACD stereo tracks with the quad tracks on Best of the Guess Who and the same songs from the SACD quad disc to the same DVDA songs from the Doors Perception set. I didn't compare the Best of Bread to anything it was boring and lifeless.

IMO the master tapes used for the Quadradisc and then quad SACD rolled off the highs because of the 18KHZ subcarrier used for the CD4 encoding process. Apparently CD4 offered four discrete channels but at a cost of high frequency response. I enjoyed CD4 back in the days when they were being released particularly Seals and Croft.

I enjoy both the Guess Who and Doors Best of SACDs but there is a price, high frequency response, paid to get them in quad and I prefer quad over stereo. Would be nice if they had open reel quad masters.

I was trying to be "kind" to the reviewer..it's not bright at all...if you read his entire "review" you can see he's a little out of his depth..his suggestion that the 2006 efforts on Perception and the Analogue SACD's(same mix)were stellar tells you all you need to know...he doesn't mention Perception but it's the same mix...

Lets remember that the sound quality of a specific album - whether its on Multichannel SACD, Blu Ray, Download, etc. - depends a lot on the audio system and musical tastes of the listener. So it shouldn't be a surprise if some find the Best of the Doors Multichannel SACD a winner and others do not. The key is how it sounds on your system and how you hear it. That's the part that really matters!

As I have said in the past, the most important review is your own - not what a reviewer or someone else says. :)

As I have said in the past, the most important review is your own - not what a reviewer or someone else says. :)

The thing is, for me anyway, is that I'm usually trying to sift through all the "other" reviews before I buy the disc. Those other reviews are very important to me. The more reviews on a particular title the better. It just makes the "survey" closer to the truth.

I was trying to be "kind" to the reviewer..it's not bright at all...if you read his entire "review" you can see he's a little out of his depth..his suggestion that the 2006 efforts on Perception and the Analogue SACD's(same mix)were stellar tells you all you need to know...he doesn't mention Perception but it's the same mix...

...and anyone who seriously says, "much funner" has got to really make you wonder, in general.

Well, the reviews on QQ of Best of the Doors are certainly positive. But you never get a perfect score from listeners and reviewers on any release.
Best bet is to depend on your own results as the one review that really counts!

So true! Add that everyone has a different system, room and set of ears. Case in point, I recently changed back to a speaker system I used to use (Lifestyle) as opposed to the close to full range loudspeakers I was using. So far, I noticed a couple of the discs I gave high marks to, do not sound all that wonderful on my latest system. That goes for a few a gave a lower score to on my previous system, I now think sound pretty darn good now. Because of this. I decided to stop voting in the Polls a few days ago. The morale of this story is, what sounds good today (on one system), may not sound good tomorrow (on another system), and vice-versa. :)

Ah.. there really is no need to apologize fizzywiggs! I was wrong wrong wrong! :D
I searched and found out where the confusion comes from.

When Steve Hoffman was in the vault he referred to the quad tapes as "Rothchild's quad attempts".

The credits for the 1973 quad disc state Bruce Botnick engineer (mix) Jac Holzman executive producer.

When Steve Hoffman was in the vault he referred to the quad tapes as "Rothchild's quad attempts".

The credits for the 1973 quad disc state Bruce Botnick engineer (mix) Jac Holzman executive producer.

Speaking of Rothchild...he walked out in the recording of the L.A. Woman album and called "Love Her Madly" cocktail lounge music and turned over things to Botnick...of course that song became a hit and the album(my favorite) became their second best selling studio album and the last with Jim Morrison who died less than 6 months later at the age of 27...

Thanks fizzy! :upthumb
(I must've confused SH with JU somehow!? :yikes :eek: :violin :slap: )

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many copies of the Doors SACD were manufactured? My disc No. is at 1600.

Anybody else having trouble with this thread? It is always on the "New Posts" list, yet never changes for me.

Back