TOMMY-THE WHO SOUNDTRACK-QS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The following articles come from sources that state the ' 75 soundtrack album of The Who's TOMMY are QS ENCODED.

There were a number of reports on this disc being encoded by a number of trade magazines in the audio world back in the mid 70's and I kept only a few of these reports, the most relevant for the most part.

There is controversy over whether this disc is indeed QS encoded, but there is no doubt the film was.

This matter is somewhat moot, however, as we now have it available in 5.1 discrete dvd, and bluray.fwiw I believe it to be matrixed, but not a very good transfer.
It could and should be better, but does tend to surprise one however ,when heard through a good QS decoder (vario-matrix).

derek

From the SANSUI trade bulletin which promoted QS .

20150821_102305.jpg20150821_102309.jpg20150821_102344.jpg

This is a somewhat better picture of the "QUINTAPHONIC" unit utilized, taken from MR. MOSELEY'S notes on the film's encode. (courtesy, Larry Clifton's Quadlings)

20150821_102737.jpg

I'm not certain that disc list is definitive, John.

The disc was supposed to be issued, no doubt.

I do have a British mag's article that suggests or rather states the stereo disc is quad, but they are using/reviewing Sansui's QSD-1 which does a magnificent job of QS SYNTH and they mention that when they review a number of other known stereo discs that perform well with that particular unit.

The legendary "So What" Command QS LP never appeared, save for a single track on the KOSS Phase 2+2 headphone demo LP called "Perspectives" (KQD-75). The track "Falling Down" appears on this album, which owners of the headphones could send away for as a free bonus for buying these (at the time) $250 Headphones.

Attachments

• Various-60s--70s-Koss-Perspectives-516456.jpg
    Various-60s--70s-Koss-Perspectives-516456.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 304
  • KQD751970.jpeg.jpg
    KQD751970.jpeg.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 308
  • KQD-75 2.jpg
    KQD-75 2.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 307
Sansui, not unlike the other quad proponents, announced through their trade/promo newsletter discs that were recently mixed, recently encoded, mixed and about to be demodulated,and discs that were scheduled to be released by the supporting labels.

That's why we have discs announced but never released by Columbia (LOU RAWLS, JEFF BECK/JAN HAMMER) and WEA (JIMI HENDRIX, TODD RUNDGREN, FOGHAT) and ABC/COMMAND (THREE DOG NIGHT'S DOG STYLE and JOY TO THE WORLD), and of course many others in this category.

By approximately late 76 and 77 the competing labels were re-evaluating the upcoming releases and some (WEA especially) started to destroy and dump quad and started to declare quad a failed consumer product.

I have the Copy of TOMMY on POLYDOR
I brought it from a early Quad Club I don't remember who a 2 disc set
It had a small sticker on the front (QS)
but it is not Quad unless it is a ambiance in the rear then who cares
I have the Double set from ODE that's QUAD

Last edited:
Sansui, not unlike the other quad proponents, announced through their trade/promo newsletter discs that were recently mixed, recently encoded, mixed and about to be demodulated,and discs that were scheduled to be released by the supporting labels.

That's why we have discs announced but never released by Columbia (LOU RAWLS, JEFF BECK/JAN HAMMER) and WEA (JIMI HENDRIX, TODD RUNDGREN, FOGHAT) and ABC/COMMAND (THREE DOG NIGHT'S DOG STYLE and JOY TO THE WORLD), and of course many others in this category.

By approximately late 76 and 77 the competing labels were re-evaluating the upcoming releases and some (WEA especially) started to destroy and dump quad and started to declare quad a failed consumer product.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for any promo/demo "Unmistakably Lou" SQ record that might have snuck out.. I love Lou Rawls' music when he moved to PIR.. a lot of it pans out surprisingly nicely in PLII Music but to have one of his albums in genuine Quad would be quite something.

The legendary "So What" Command QS LP never appeared, save for a single track on the KOSS Phase 2+2 headphone demo LP called "Perspectives" (KQD-75). The track "Falling Down" appears on this album, which owners of the headphones could send away for as a free bonus for buying these (at the time) $250 Headphones.

Is the Dusty Springfield Quad excerpt unique to this demonstration disc?

I have the Copy of TOMMY on POLYDOR
I brought it from a early Quad Club I don't remember who a 2 disc set
It had a small sticker on the front (QS)
but it is not Quad unless it is a ambiance in the rear then who cares
I have the Double set from ODE that's QUAD

I agree Ron,

A little lacklustre in the encode. There are some passages that stand out (synthesizer specfically).In addition that QS Quintaphonic unit was utilized on other soundtracks as well.
Such as;

Lisztomania (Roger Daltrey/Rick Wakeman)

The Way We Were (Barbra Striesand/Kris Kristopherson)

Star Wars (John Williams)

and I believe possibly Apocalypse Now, or they switched to Dolby's SQ version by then. (Not DOLBY MP, BUT SQ, this was pre-MP).

Whether or not the film's encoding transfered probably is debatable.Both the TOMMY AND LISZTOMANIA listed QS in the credits by showing the Sansui QS EMBLEM, quite prominently, at the end credits.

I agree Ron,

A little lacklustre in the encode. There are some passages that stand out (synthesizer specfically).In addition that QS Quintaphonic unit was utilized on other soundtracks as well.
Such as;

and I believe possibly Apocalypse Now, or they switched to Dolby's SQ version by then. (Not DOLBY MP, BUT SQ, this was pre-MP).

Whether or not the film's encoding transfered probably is debatable.Both the TOMMY AND LISZTOMANIA listed QS in the credits by showing the Sansui QS EMBLEM, quite prominently, at the end credits.

CORRECTION!

The Streisand movie S/T should read:

A Star Is Born (Barbra Streisand/Kris Kristopherson)

Goes to show you how much I listen to or pay attention to Streisand's music.Obviously not a lot.

In addition that QS Quintaphonic unit was utilized on other soundtracks as well.
Such as;

LISZTOMANIA listed QS in the credits by showing the Sansui QS EMBLEM, quite prominently, at the end credits.

Hi fizzywiggs

I'm not saying you are wrong, but do you have a source for this?

LISZTOMANIA (1975) is generally credited with being the first film in Dolby Stereo (3 channels, R - C - L), followed by A Star Is Born (1976) (4 channels R - C- L & rear surround):

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-film-released-in-dolby-stereo

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...h35OQO2#v=onepage&q=LISZTOMANIA dolby&f=false

Star Wars is credited as the first film to use 6 track Dolby Stereo: http://www.in70mm.com/newsletter/2000/62/dolby/

LISZTOMANIA (1975) is generally credited with being the first film in Dolby Stereo (3 channels, R - C - L)

Granted that it's been a while, but my memory says there's a distinct Quintophonic credit at the end of "Lisztomania". I thought it was interesting that the only two titles I'm aware of with such a credit were sequential Ken Russell films.

But that doesn't mean there couldn't also have been Dolby Stereo prints. There were a few high-profile titles released in multiple formats--I don't know if it's true or not, but I've been told that a few 35mm four-track magnetic prints were made for "Yentl", which is a lot later than I thought the format lasted.

Back