Suggestions for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm correct-you're the guy mentioned on the Jeff Beck quad sacd that just came out.

I just want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH- keep up the great work.

I know its slim to get any Warner Brothers as quad releases but Gordon Lightfoot and Joni Mitchell would be awesome.

Thanks Jasong. You are right, I am the "Multichannel Maven" working with Audio Fidelity on their Multichannel SACD releases. :)
The good news is that there are more titles being prepared in the series for release later in 2015.

On Warner Music, we will see. There are Warner Music albums with Surround mixes that have been requested by Audio Fidelity for licensing.
If there is a good prospect, Marshall is not afraid to ask. :)

Absolute shame that other record labels that could very easily put out the Quad version on the multichannel layer of an SACD are essentially cock-blocking Audio Fidelity from doing so. Those licenses must have termination dates so one can assume it's only a matter of time until Audio Fidelity gets a whack at it. Although, I suppose one shouldn't get too greedy. AF has given us some fantastic titles already so it's only a matter of time I guess. I just hope this project doesn't lose any momentum.

Who owns the ABC catalog today? Are we absolutely positive we couldn't get some Jim Croce titles done? The Grass Roots? Maybe even the Three Dog Night Quads?

Some other great titles from Columbia would be Mac Davis, Mountain, Billy Paul, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Burton Cummings.

Since we got Sly's Greatest Hits, can we troll the vaults for others? 'High on You' is a particularly good album, but I would also love to find out if 'There's a Riot Goin' On' was actually mixed to Quad as a magazine article once purported. The same goes for 'Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back!' would also be another great album from the House of Sly.

Boston, Johnny Taylor, Blue Oyster Cult (Agents of Fortune does fall into the Quad timeline!) More Cowbell!

Absolute shame that other record labels that could very easily put out the Quad version on the multichannel layer of an SACD are essentially cock-blocking Audio Fidelity from doing so. Those licenses must have termination dates so one can assume it's only a matter of time until Audio Fidelity gets a whack at it. Although, I suppose one shouldn't get too greedy. AF has given us some fantastic titles already so it's only a matter of time I guess. I just hope this project doesn't lose any momentum.

Who owns the ABC catalog today? Are we absolutely positive we couldn't get some Jim Croce titles done? The Grass Roots? Maybe even the Three Dog Night Quads?

Some other great titles from Columbia would be Mac Davis, Mountain, Billy Paul, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Burton Cummings.

Since we got Sly's Greatest Hits, can we troll the vaults for others? 'High on You' is a particularly good album, but I would also love to find out if 'There's a Riot Goin' On' was actually mixed to Quad as a magazine article once purported. The same goes for 'Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back!' would also be another great album from the House of Sly.

Boston, Johnny Taylor, Blue Oyster Cult (Agents of Fortune does fall into the Quad timeline!) More Cowbell!

Don't count on the ABC stuff as it's mostly owned now by Universal Music, and we can't count on them for any Quad reissues on SACD.
Also were "Boston" and "Agents of Fortune" ever released in Quad?

Don't count on the ABC stuff as it's mostly owned now by Universal Music, and we can't count on them for any Quad reissues on SACD.
Also were "Boston" and "Agents of Fortune" ever released in Quad?

I thought Universal situation was that their archives in disarray and many of their Quads and multi's are missing or destroyed?

iirc Old Quad Guy saw "Agents Of Fortune" on SQ vinyl out in the wild back in the late 70's (and regrets not picking up a copy to this day.. he also saw Dave Mason "Let It Flow" in SQ LP form too afaik) and another QQ member (who's screen name escapes me, apologies) has a copy of the "SQ Quadrofonico" (presumed Spanish or Brazilian?) pressing of Boston's 1st LP... so I would say yes, they were released in Quad! :yikes

There's a QQ thread on it all, gimme a min and I'll link you to it here.

I thought Universal situation was that their archives in disarray and many of their Quads and multi's are missing or destroyed?

iirc Old Quad Guy saw "Agents Of Fortune" on SQ vinyl out in the wild back in the late 70's (and regrets not picking up a copy to this day.. he also saw Dave Mason "Let It Flow" in SQ LP form too afaik) and another QQ member (who's screen name escapes me, apologies) has a copy of the "SQ Quadrofonico" (presumed Spanish or Brazilian?) pressing of Boston's 1st LP... so I would say yes, they were released in Quad! :yikes

Exactly. The fact that their archives are in disarray and many of their Quads and multis are missing or destroyed is precisely the reason why I said that we can't count on them for any Multichannel SACD releases.

Exactly. The fact that their archives are in disarray and many of their Quads and multis are missing or destroyed is precisely the reason why I said that we can't count on them for any Multichannel SACD releases.

I've heard the same thing too, but if it's possible to open up a dialog with them, we should explore that option!

The multitracks may be long gone, but the Quad mixdowns might still be extant. But, also, Mr. Hoffman was able to locate some Grass Roots multitracks and he gave us a remix of "Let's Live for Today" and others. I know for the "20th Century Masters" CD's that came out years ago, they went straight back to the multitrack for "Sooner or Later" for sure and possibly a few others that Did Not feature the classic stereo mixes.

Some stuff is still out there. So, that's why I'm saying can we (as a community) not put the cart before the horse and ask Audio Fidelity if they would at least approach Universal and ask?

But, to pass the time until some classic albums are available, let's see what we can find for unreleased Quad albums. Surely if they do still exist, let's get them out! Some of them, for instance: Edgar Winter's White Trash, are really well done. Laura Nyro isn't bad either, but it is an early title and is one of those 4-corner discrete mixes similar to Sly's GH. I believe White Trash was one they went back for later as it's a vocals/drums/bass/solo instrument in the front mix, with one or two instruments in each back channel. Very reminiscent of mixes done in the 32xxx and 33xxx series of Quads.

I've heard the same thing too, but if it's possible to open up a dialog with them, we should explore that option!

The multitracks may be long gone, but the Quad mixdowns might still be extant. But, also, Mr. Hoffman was able to locate some Grass Roots multitracks and he gave us a remix of "Let's Live for Today" and others. I know for the "20th Century Masters" CD's that came out years ago, they went straight back to the multitrack for "Sooner or Later" for sure and possibly a few others that Did Not feature the classic stereo mixes.

Some stuff is still out there. So, that's why I'm saying can we (as a community) not put the cart before the horse and ask Audio Fidelity if they would at least approach Universal and ask?

CALLING BRIAN MOURA...!!! :p

CALLING BRIAN MOURA...!!! :p

OK, let's take a few steps back before things get too exciting.

1. Audio Fidelity is in regular contact with all of the major labels about licensing albums for SACD release. That includes Universal, Warner and Sony.
  2. Universal Music has told Audio Fidelity that the Quad-era, 4 Channel Master Tapes are unavailable. Disappointing to say the least.
  3. Sony Music and Warner Music do have both Quad-era 4 Channel Master Tapes and more recent 5.1 Master Tapes in the vaults. Good news.
  4. Today, Audio Fidelity announced the upcoming Hybrid Multichannel SACD of Sly & the Family Stone - Greatest Hits. Thanks to Sly, Sony Music, Steve Hoffman and Gus Skinas we will have this one in October.
  5. There are more Multichannel SACDs in development for later in 2015. And the exploration of additional Multichannel SACD titles continues at AF.

So we have a number of Multichannel SACD releases from Audio Fidelity with more planned. In my book, definitely worth celebrating - and listening to. :)

It is good to know that my wallet will continue to be empty...:rolleyes:

I have ordered all the currently available AF surround releases and will continue to do so. I like what they are doing and they are only competing with the finds I have been getting at my local record shop. eBay and Yahoo Japan have been wondering where I am.....

1. Audio Fidelity is in regular contact with all of the major labels about licensing albums for SACD release. That includes Universal, Warner and Sony.
  2. Universal Music has told Audio Fidelity that the Quad-era, 4 Channel Master Tapes are unavailable. Disappointing to say the least.
  3. Sony Music and Warner Music do have both Quad-era 4 Channel Master Tapes and more recent 5.1 Master Tapes in the vaults. Good news.
  4. Today, Audio Fidelity announced the upcoming Hybrid Multichannel SACD of Sly & the Family Stone - Greatest Hits. Thanks to Sly, Sony Music, Steve Hoffman and Gus Skinas we will have this one in October.
  5. There are more Multichannel SACDs in development for later in 2015. And the exploration of additional Multichannel SACD titles continues at AF.

So we have a number of Multichannel SACD releases from Audio Fidelity with more planned. In my book, definitely worth celebrating - and listening to. :)

Thank you SO much!! :wave

You just took excitement levels up a notch or 4..!!! :yikes

Quick Qn. please, are Universal Quads unavailable because the 4-Channel master tapes are
missing from their vaults (and/or in poor shape) or is it since they won't license them to AF for use on Surround SACD?

Quick Qn. please, are Universal Quads unavailable because the 4-Channel master tapes are
missing from their vaults (and/or in poor shape) or is it since they won't license them to AF for use on Surround SACD?

I understand that it's the former - missing/not in the vaults.

It is good to know that my wallet will continue to be empty...:rolleyes:

I have ordered all the currently available AF surround releases and will continue to do so. I like what they are doing and they are only competing with the finds I have been getting at my local record shop. eBay and Yahoo Japan have been wondering where I am.....

If AF keep putting em out we will keep buying them.. :upthumb

(I still have to pinch myself some days, it's 2015 and we're getting fabulous new Quad and 5.1 Hi-Rez reissues a-go-go all year long..!!!!) :yikes :worthy :banana:

Thanks Brian! It's very nice to have some first hand information. I was not aware if Universal had been approached or not. Thanks for setting the record straight. Shame about Universal as that encompasses a healthy chunk of the Quad era. Capitol, Harvest, Angel, Motown, A&M, Mercury (so, I guess no BTO :p) and everything else under Decca, MCA (which includes ABC), Uni, Polydor and Island if they ever had any mixes sitting in the can.

I wonder if that means they really are all gone? :(

I understand that it's the former - missing/not in the vaults.

Thank you, sincerely :)

Sad to think of all those beautiful Quads gone, possibly forever.. still, the future is looking very promising with Sony from a Quad/5.1 perspective and there's a glimmer of hope Warners may play ball with AF again down the line.

another QQ member (who's screen name escapes me, apologies) has a copy of the "SQ Quadrofonico" (presumed Spanish or Brazilian?) pressing of Boston's 1st LP... so I would say yes, they were released in Quad! :yikes

That supposed SQ copy of Boston is only the stereo version. Must have been an accidental usage of the SQ logo. But I confirmed years ago with Brad Delp that a quad mix was indeed made, and rumors of SQ test pressings are out there. It would only make sense that at least test pressings would have been made if they went through the trouble of mixing it in quad. Sound and Vision reported a long time ago that the quad mix was earmarked for SACD release by Sony, but that never happened. May have been blocked by Tom Scholz, but no definite reason was ever given why it didn't actually show up. I'm hoping that the non-responses by Brian is a good sign that it may be being considered.

Thanks Brian! It's very nice to have some first hand information. I was not aware if Universal had been approached or not. Thanks for setting the record straight. Shame about Universal as that encompasses a healthy chunk of the Quad era. Capitol, Harvest, Angel, Motown, A&M, Mercury (so, I guess no BTO :p) and everything else under Decca, MCA (which includes ABC), Uni, Polydor and Island if they ever had any mixes sitting in the can.

Well I'm a little confused. Capitol and Mercury are now part of Universal and no quad masters are available, yet back in the day DTS were able to locate quad masters of 2 McCartney discs, Steve Miller and BTO, all on Capitol and Mercury. So it would seem that some quad masters are available.

Well DTS were able to locate 2 McCartney quads and a Steve Miller quad, all from Capitol. Also BTO from Mercury. I guess some quad masters are still available. Perhaps Universal needs to get their s**t together.

You will love the Multichannel SACD from Audio Fidelity. A winner.

All the AF multichannel SACDs have been winners. (y)

And thanks again for all your efforts/assistance Brian in getting these out too.

Back