Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dark Side of the Moon SACD was one of the most well-known Crest Crackers. If Crest would have been smart they would have fixed the problem, continued making SACDs, and would be getting a lot of the SACD pressing business now instead of it all going to Austria.

The Dark Side of the Moon SACD was made at several SACD pressing sites including Crest. And yes, Crest changed their SACD materials to the same polycarbonite as other companies use after the cracking issue.

Dark Side of the Moon SACD was one of the most well-known Crest Crackers. If Crest would have been smart they would have fixed the problem, continued making SACDs, and would be getting a lot of the SACD pressing business now instead of it all going to Austria.

Viva Magnetics of Hong Kong also pressed SACDs with a tendency to crack. They did press western SACD titles for distribution outside of Asia.

From all indications, we currently have 3 SACD production facilities: Japan, Austria and Germany.

Viva Magnetics of Hong Kong also pressed SACDs with a tendency to crack. They did press western SACD titles for distribution outside of Asia.

From all indications, we currently have 3 SACD production facilities: Japan, Austria and Germany.

The cracking was due to the type of plastic used in the pressing. When the plants switched over to the standard materials, the problem was resolved.
On the SACD production lines, I think that is correct - Austria, Japan and Germany.

At the time, the 'Crest cracking' situation reminded me of the dark days of UK Nimbus, which pressed not only some bad compact discs, but CDV (CD-Video) discs, a format which might have found fans if not for the inferior pressings.

ED :)

Acoustic Sounds will be jacking up the price of the SACD to $40 soon, so buy now.

I already have two (one sealed). I tend to play the Blu-ray.

Remember back when Elusive was claiming this as being out of print. I guess they were hoping for some warehouse finds.

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 339
I personally do not care about older quad recordings for the most part. I was in diapers when most of them came out...

I wasn't even a glimmer in pappy's eye! I tend to love old quad rereleases. I get to listen to 'em with mum. Occasionally, she doesn't know who the artist is either!
Rock and Roll was sinful in her parents' household...

So, this thread has convinced me to chill on the SACD. I don't light my fireplace with $20 bills. Can't be throwin' $30 at big stereo.

Thinking of finally getting this, for Christmas (34.99 at musicdirect).

Is a hi-res issue of the 2015 stereo remix available somewhere?

My priority was Sly/Family Stone Greatest Hits but I'm afraid I'll get a defective copy.

Wow..... Glad I pre-ordered this title when it was released......Going for $94 used and $99 new on the Zon.
What was it..? Acoustic Sounds usually higher and their shipping costs are ridiculous.

Where do you buy this now? Thanks

Since the SACD has gone OOP prices are sky high. Scouring used markets like eBay, Amazon third party, and discogs may be your only option for the SACD.

Alternately: if you can play bluray and DVD, the Immersion set is an option, likely for a similar price to the OOP SACD. If I were buying today that's how I would go.

Good luck!

A google search turned up several places to buy it, specifically Amazon.com and Elusive Disc. It's pricey, $150 or more new, used is not much cheaper.

Elusive disc: http://www.elusivedisc.com/Pink-Flo...i-Channel-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/APSAM33453/

Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065MJ7RO/?tag=sacdinfocom-20

The SA-CD.net page collects all of the different Amazon links (amazon.ca, .de etc) if you want to check them all. http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/7523

EDIT: I agree with sbrom's post below that the Immersion set is a better value. You'll pay only $108 and get tons of extras: the quad mix, Wembley live music, unreleased tracks, etc.

Last edited:
Back