Listening to Now In SACD Surround (or 3 Channel Stereo)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Balalaika Favorites - Osipov State Russian Folk Orchestra (SACD)

Wow! Pretty neat! Oh is the sound on that one?

Superb 3-ch recording! The balalaika soloist is in the center channel with the orchestra in the left and right. All the instruments blend together to form a realistic soundstage. The DSD remastering is warm and natural. The music is a hoot! It's gotten positive reviews and is reasonably priced...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007YP0UY/

I have been playing it recently as a tribute to Omar Sharif, who passed away last month.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jul/10/omar-sharif-dies-at-the-age-of-83

image.jpg

Ottorino Respighi - Pines of Rome, Fountains of Rome

Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Fritz Reiner (conductor)

AP has done an excellent job with this release.
I'm looking forward to their SACDs of "The Reiner Sound", etc...

I received my Japan SACD of Chicago V earlier today and this is the second time I've played it in a few hours. It's quite a nice sounding disc. I cannot wait to receive the Chicago II DVD-A I've got on the way.

I received my Japan SACD of Chicago V earlier today and this is the second time I've played it in a few hours. It's quite a nice sounding disc. I cannot wait to receive the Chicago II DVD-A I've got on the way.

I know I could look this up but.. Does V have the 5.1 layer that the DVD-A had? I'm assuming it does and any of the Japanese product has these SS layers when they were previously available. The Japanese never fail to sell us back our own stuff, they know what we want. Didn't they reissue a Blow by Blow SACD and include MC, and yet there was a recent US reissue that did not. Japan simply knows which side their bread is buttered on.

I know I could look this up but.. Does V have the 5.1 layer that the DVD-A had? I'm assuming it does and any of the Japanese product has these SS layers when they were previously available. The Japanese never fail to sell us back our own stuff, they know what we want. Didn't they reissue a Blow by Blow SACD and include MC, and yet there was a recent US reissue that did not. Japan simply knows which side their bread is buttered on.

Yes

Superb 3-ch recording! The balalaika soloist is in the center channel with the orchestra in the left and right. All the instruments blend together to form a realistic soundstage. The DSD remastering is warm and natural. The music is a hoot! It's gotten positive reviews and is reasonably priced...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007YP0UY/

I have been playing it recently as a tribute to Omar Sharif, who passed away last month.
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jul/10/omar-sharif-dies-at-the-age-of-83

That's a good one. I second Lute's recommendation.

Often the Mercury Living Presence 3-Channel SACDs don't get as much attention as the RCA Living Stereo 3-Channel SACDs.
But they should - and Balalaika Favorites is a prime example of that.

Wow, thanks for posting this! I'm very fond of this score but was unaware of this recording. other titles in the series would you recommend? I seem to recall Lute recommending some Pentatone quad titles as well. Calling all Lutes...

I carried this over from the Stereo/Mono SACD thread as these PentaTone SACDs have the all important Quad mix.

One of my recent favorites is Seiji Ozawa's Ravel - Orchestra Works. The performance is heavenly and the atmospheric Quad recording suits the music perfectly.

image.png

Some other favorites...

image.png image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg
Here are some reviews on some of these Quad reissues...
http://www.pentatonemusic.com/news/remasteredclassicsreviewclassicalcdreview

Tonight I listened to John Legend's Get Lifted (mch SACD) with the new millennium classic Ordinary People. A wonderful album. Great songs in very discrete 5.1 surround.

Followed by Johnny Mathis' The Christmas Album. Audiophile Mathis in subtle surround (Doug Sax/James Guthrie)

I then watched Jim Jarmusch's contemporary vampire movie "Only Lovers Left Alive" with the wonderful Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston. Vampires in Detroit, Jarmusch style.

In between I also listened to Taylor Swift's 1989 in bits and pieces.......it decodes very well in DSP surround (I used Super)

Also played Tears for Fears Sowing In The Seeds of Love........which has been remixed by Steve Wilson for a [hopefully] 2016 hi res release. A fantastic album and the RBCD sounds amazing.

I really enjoy this one and I'll be acquiring a couple of those lovely RCA titles soon. Fabulous sound.

Simon - I love those Living Stereo SACDs and snagged up a couple of dozen titles when they were cheap and plentiful (perhaps they still are?). Beyond the exceptional fidelity I'm fascinated by the performances which I find more adventurous than many contemporary interpretations. They also predate the practice of excessively editing together different takes to create the 'perfect' performance on record. So I hear the occasional clam, rhythmic or intonation issue as well as coughing and/or sneezing on the live audience recordings. But none of that detracts from my enjoyment. Rather it adds to the natural and authentic feel of the vintage performances for me.

Simon - I love those Living Stereo SACDs and snagged up a couple of dozen titles when they were cheap and plentiful (perhaps they still are?). Beyond the exceptional fidelity I'm fascinated by the performances which I find more adventurous than many contemporary interpretations. They also predate the practice of excessively editing together different takes to create the 'perfect' performance on record. So I hear the occasional clam, rhythmic or intonation issue as well as coughing and/or sneezing on the live audience recordings. But none of that detracts from my enjoyment. Rather it adds to the natural and authentic feel of the vintage performances for me.

You know, I can understand Analogue Productions for wanting to reissue many of those RCA titles with their own mix and mastering, but for the money, these RCA SACDs are such a sweet deal. I still want a few which are still available at a very decent price. Of course I'd love to compare a title I own and love with its AP counterpart, but for now, I'm happy with these. I was blown away with the sound the first time I put the disc on and I'm still impressed every time I play it, today included. :)

You know, I can understand Analogue Productions for wanting to reissue many of those RCA titles with their own mix and mastering, but for the money, these RCA SACDs are such a sweet deal. I still want a few which are still available at a very decent price. Of course I'd love to compare a title I own and love with its AP counterpart, but for now, I'm happy with these.

I'm happy as well. So much so that I've not been tempted by any of the AP releases.

Back to an old friend. Is it too early to bring out the Vodka? ;)

Back