Box Scaggs' Silk Degrees

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
Sorry if this is the wrong place I didn't know where else to post it.. Anybody here have any ideas as to what the "Q" in the matrix of this one might signify?

I'd tried a couple of different CDs of this album thru the Surround Master and the results were not much cop but I thought I'd try this old LP thru the little gizmo and well.. it was quite interesting.. if I knew how to embed a clip here with just the back channels I would but anyone who wants to hear a sample just PM me.

Methinks it is just a sequential plate number. That LP sold in the millions, so many stampers were needed. The stampers were sequentially numbered for cataloging purposes so that bad pressings and worn stampers could be traced. I would be interested if the Q was in the beginning, not the end in this case. For Columbia records, a 1A stamper is the first, 1B is next, and when they get to 1Z, they go to 1AA. Your will see 2A, 2B, etc as well. The numeral may denote an engineer or plating location, I am not sure.

Methinks it is just a sequential plate number. That LP sold in the millions, so many stampers were needed. The stampers were sequentially numbered for cataloging purposes so that bad pressings and worn stampers could be traced. I would be interested if the Q was in the beginning, not the end in this case. For Columbia records, a 1A stamper is the first, 1B is next, and when they get to 1Z, they go to 1AA. Your will see 2A, 2B, etc as well. The numeral may denote an engineer or plating location, I am not sure.

Thanks! That's as good an explanation as I imagine I'll ever get (zilch response at the SHF).. several of the tracks do pan out pretty nicely thru the little Aussie SQ gizmo, I gotta say.. a happy accident I guess (and wishful thinking on my part perhaps... I'd love for someone to redo this fabulous album in Surround! :p )

I would like this in surround too. Way too long since I have had a copy. If you look around at the Vinyl Engine forum, there is more info than I can ever remember. There is a guy named Phil Brown who knows more than I about Columbia's pressing processes. He claims to have worked there in the 60's and 70's. He came here briefly, found what he wanted and left.....

I would like this in surround too. Way too long since I have had a copy. If you look around at the Vinyl Engine forum, there is more info than I can ever remember. There is a guy named Phil Brown who knows more than I about Columbia's pressing processes. He claims to have worked there in the 60's and 70's. He came here briefly, found what he wanted and left.....

Yeah I saw them pop up here briefly, what were they after/or rather what did they get before skedaddling? :eek:

Thanks! That's as good an explanation as I imagine I'll ever get (zilch response at the SHF).. several of the tracks do pan out pretty nicely thru the little Aussie SQ gizmo, I gotta say.. a happy accident I guess (and wishful thinking on my part perhaps... I'd love for someone to redo this fabulous album in Surround! :p )

We ALL wish the same thing Fredio.:)

I'd love for someone to redo this fabulous album in Surround! :p

Yeah it'd be really cool to have this album in surround. I'm sure Elliot Scheiner would do wonders...

Interestingly I read that when they were filming Saturday Night Fever one of the songs used was 'Lowdown' from Silk Degrees...
The Bee Gees wrote the music after the film was made...
banana_dance-2.gif

From wikipedia

According to the DVD commentary for Saturday Night Fever, the producers intended to use the song "Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs in the rehearsal scene between Tony and Stephanie in the dance studio, and choreographed their dance moves to the song. However, representatives for Scaggs's label, Columbia Records, refused to grant legal clearance for it, as they wanted to pursue another disco movie project, which never materialized. Composer David Shire, who scored the film, had to, in turn, write a song to match the dance steps demonstrated in the scene and eliminate the need for future legal hassles. However, this track does not appear on the movie's soundtrack.
The Bee Gees's involvement in the film did not begin until post-production. As John Travolta asserted, "The Bee Gees weren't even involved in the movie in the beginning ... I was dancing to Stevie Wonder and Boz Scaggs."

Back