Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It makes perfect sense to me. Colour My World is the same version on both II and IX whereas Make Me Smile is an edit on IX so they couldn't just use the accidentally folded down version from II.

Right. But if they were using a stereo master for IX that contained the single edits, then wouldn't "Colour My World" have been on that one too? Why use the II master of "Colour"? I guess just so they didn't have to remaster that track twice, I suppose.

I was just thinking.

What better way to honor Glenn's memory than an Eagles QUADIO box?

I think this will probably happen, as will a Doobie Brothers set.

With the success of premium box sets, together with Blu-Ray audio, we now finally have a commercially viable way of marketing surround-sound music that has eluded the industry for half a century.

I just hope I live long enough to see it blossom.

I think this will probably happen, as will a Doobie Brothers set.

With the success of premium box sets, together with Blu-Ray audio, we now finally have a commercially viable way of marketing surround-sound music that has eluded the industry for half a century.

I just hope I live long enough to see it blossom.

We are either on the verge of a major effort to get the best of the quad mixes out there by the labels, or we are seeing the twilight's last gleaming, and by next year's end we will know if it's about all over or not. It is hard to tell, and I am not one to take it for granted that we have a bright future, especially after AF reducing their release schedule.

The Doobies are very low on my list for two reasons, I like the albums, but enjoy them as a singles band more, and the four albums were on on reel to reel format in the 70s, and so have already been given expert conversions to DTS and DVD.

What tracks are you listening to on the stereo stream when making that statement? The mono issue only affects Side 2 (Tracks 5-12)
All of the other tracks are fine.

Stereo!?!? I don't need no stinkin' stereo. I did not spend $110 on a box set of surround so I could listen to stinkin' stereo. That is so 20th century. I put it on this morning and yes the stereo tracks 5-12 are indeed mono. BFD

What tracks are you listening to on the stereo stream when making that statement? The mono issue only affects Side 2 (Tracks 5-12)
All of the other tracks are fine.

Listening to the stereo stream on a surround disc is like marrying Pam Anderson because you think she is a good cook.

Stereo!?!? I don't need no stinkin' stereo. I did not spend $110 on a box set of surround so I could listen to stinkin' stereo. That is so 20th century. I put it on this morning and yes the stereo tracks 5-12 are indeed mono. BFD

Except for Chicago II, the stereo layers of these recordings are the best that we have ever had. You know what's really wacko? I'll listen to a track in Quad and then go back and listen to the same one in stereo using PLIIx or Logic7. Then sometimes I'll listen to the quad layers with only the fronts on and then only the rears. Sometimes I'll even go back and then just isolate one rear channel. :mad:@: Help me.

Hi. All

YEEEA... Got my Chicago QUADIO Box today..........:banana:............BUT I can't audition them till Wednesday, helping an old mate 94 go into a rest home.. such is life...
Bill...

IMG_1095.jpg

Last edited:
I had mentioned this over on SH, with BD-A being a player in hi res music (though most of us would like to see more I'm sure) now, it would be nice if there was a standard on how to access the audio options and list it on the packaging. Many now, like the Chicago Quadio set, use the colour coded buttons on the blu ray remote to reference either the stereo or MC options, which is great. The problem is it needs to be mentioned on the packaging (some are already doing this) so people will know which colour does what without using a display. I think it would go a long way for BD to be an SACD competitor. (y)

I had mentioned this over on SH, with BD-A being a player in hi res music (though most of us would like to see more I'm sure) now, it would be nice if there was a standard on how to access the audio options and list it on the packaging. Many now, like the Chicago Quadio set, use the colour coded buttons on the blu ray remote to reference either the stereo or MC options, which is great. The problem is it needs to be mentioned on the packaging (some are already doing this) so people will know which colour does what without using a display. I think it would go a long way for BD to be an SACD competitor. (y)

I've only started using this last week because I read about it. It means I don't need to turn the TV on which is my biggest problem with music on Blu-Ray discs.

I've only started using this last week because I read about it. It means I don't need to turn the TV on which is my biggest problem with music on Blu-Ray discs.

Exactly Simon. I've got some 2L and Pure Audio (not HFPA) blu rays that have the colours and audio choices on the back, as it should be. No display necessary. But there doesn't appear to be a standard for this yet, that would be nice.

Wooooo hooo Snood finally got all the discs ripped in flac DTS HD MA 4.0 and DTS HD MA stereo 24.192...............tooooook freaking forever on an old vista lappy with MAKEMKV & Audiomuxer software

What a project........took a couple days :mad:@:

Luckily Snood spend bunch time playing vid games on other PC and stuff so could keep eye on the lappy as it went on and on and on.........

All tagged and ready to go...............whenever that is :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ugh -- in my video room I HAVE to keep flat screen on or HDMI will turn off whole system. SO irritating.

Good to know about the color-coded buttons for selecting stereo/5.1 -- YES, that should be standard. Kudos to Rhino for going straight to the music and not forcing us to endure distributor themes and unnecessary menus. Please now take it further.

My main system has no monitor at all. It's just for listening. May have to buy a tiny LCD screen just deal with menus. Most suitable -- and cheapest -- 3.5" ones are for auto. They come with a stand, but are hard-wired for 12 volts and have no HDMI in. Nothing's simple these days.

Ugh -- in my video room I HAVE to keep flat screen on or HDMI will turn off whole system. SO irritating.

Good to know about the color-coded buttons for selecting stereo/5.1 -- YES, that should be standard. Kudos to Rhino for going straight to the music and not forcing us to endure distributor themes and unnecessary menus. Please now take it further.

My main system has no monitor at all. It's just for listening. May have to buy a tiny LCD screen just deal with menus. Most suitable -- and cheapest -- 3.5" ones are for auto. They come with a stand, but are hard-wired for 12 volts and have no HDMI in. Nothing's simple these days.

That must be because your connected 100% HDMI. I use the Analog Outs from my Oppo directly to my amps. I prefer it that way. As long as you have great sound though, it's all that really matters. :)

Had no idea this was out. Just found this thread last night. And just ordered my copy from Acoustic Sounds with the July discount code!! Hell yes!! I have a bunch of Chicago Quad records and 8-tracks. Can't wait to check this out!!

Back