Off-Topic Posts from the Chicago Quadio Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did Barbra Streisand change record labels from Sony Music/Columbia to Warner/Rhino?

AFAIK, Babs is still with SONY [Columbia]. Babs has 6 albums that were released as SQ Quads and except for the Way We Were and Stoney End and The Movie album which was remixed for SACD in 5.1, IMO, her VERY best albums (like her first 6 or 7) were NEVER released either in QUAD, 5.1 or on hi res physical disc. A travesty, indeed for one of SONY's [formerly] best selling artists and now that Babs can't hit those HIGH notes anymore, a LONG OVERDUE retrospective on hi res physical disc IS IN ORDER.:banana:

AFAIK, Babs is still with SONY [Columbia]. Babs has 6 albums that were released as SQ Quads and except for the Way We Were and Stoney End and The Movie album which was remixed for SACD in 5.1, IMO, her VERY best albums (like her first 6 or 7) were NEVER released either in QUAD, 5.1 or on hi res physical disc. A travesty, indeed for one of SONY's [formerly] best selling artist and now that Babs can't hit those HIGH notes anymore, a LONG OVERDUE retrospective on hi res physical disc IS IN ORDER.:banana:

Hear Hear Ralph! :upthumb
(I'm probably the only person on planet earth who wished that DualDisc of Guilty had been in Surround.. :eek: )

Hear Hear Ralph! :upthumb
(I'm probably the only person on planet earth who wished that DualDisc of Guilty had been in Surround.. :eek: )

Adam~Brexit/Bremain[?]~Blue, at least it's in ENHANCED Stereo (16/48).........One of my VERY favorite Bab albums is her French Album. A nice Jewish girl from Brooklyn sojourns to Paris France and belts out what I consider to be one of her very best....with Michel Legrand conducting. Well, it really wasn't recorded in Paris, France, now was it? http://eil.com/images/main/Barbra+S...bra+-+Stereo+-+Original+-+LP+RECORD-60625.jpg

LOVE the cover photo by famed fashion photographer Richard Avedon!

AFAIK, Babs is still with SONY [Columbia]. Babs has 6 albums that were released as SQ Quads and except for the Way We Were and Stoney End and The Movie album which was remixed for SACD in 5.1, IMO, her VERY best albums (like her first 6 or 7) were NEVER released either in QUAD, 5.1 or on hi res physical disc. A travesty, indeed for one of SONY's [formerly] best selling artists and now that Babs can't hit those HIGH notes anymore, a LONG OVERDUE retrospective on hi res physical disc IS IN ORDER.:banana:
i have some DVD-As and SACDs with female vocal and from these i listen and enjoy opera singers way more often than that pop ones.
perhaps exception will be for Tarja but sadly the mix on lone DVD-A with her done so badly, it has buried her vocal abilities.
Barbra has not bad voice but nothing outstanding and paired with her musical genre, i doubt many today will line up to buy such box, even with quad.
if consider such boxed sets of surround as a novelty in music industry, it must begin with exceptionally strong acts, which sadly in quadraphonic format not
really much presented. other way 00s will repeat itself - weak sales, disappointments and finally discarding all.

WhatchootalkinboutWillis?
Remixed in 5.1????
Were they ...released?

if consider such boxed sets of surround as a novelty in music industry, it must begin with exceptionally strong acts, which sadly in quadraphonic format not
really much presented.

Some exceptionally strong acts represented in Quadraphonic format:

Aerosmith,
Al Green,
Alice Cooper,
Allman Brothers,
America,
Andy Williams,
Archies,
Argent,
Average White Band,
Aretha Franklin,
Art Garfunkel,
Barbra Streisand,
BB King,
Bachman Turner Overdrive,
Barclay James Harvest,
Barry Manilow,
Beach Boys,
Bette Midler,
Billy Cobham,
Billy Joel,
Billy Paul,
Billy Preston,
Black Sabbath,
Blood Sweat & Tears,
Blue Öyster Cult,
Bob Dylan,
Bobby Womack,
Bread,
Buddy Rich,
Burt Bacharach,
Byrds,
Captain & Tenille,
Carly Simon,
Carole King,
Carpenters,
Cat Stevens,
Charley Pride,
Charlie Rich,
Chicago,
Chi-Lites,
Creedence Clearwater Revival,
Dan Fogelberg,
Dan Hicks,
Deep Purple,
Diana Ross,
Dionne Warwick,
Dolly Parton,
Donny Hathaway,
Doobie Brothers,
Doors,
Eagles,
Earth Wind & Fire,
Edgar Winter,
ELO,
Elvis Presley,
Emerson Lake & Palmer,
Engelbert Humperdinck,
Eric Burdon,
Eric Carmen,
Eric Clapton,
Floyd Cramer,
Four Tops,
Frank Zappa,
Funkadelic,
George Benson,
Gilbert O'Sullivan,
Gladys Knight,
Glen Campbell,
Gordon Lightfoot,
Grover Washington,
Guess Who,
Harold Melvin,
Harry Nilsson,
Helen Reddy,
Henry Mancini,
Herb Alpert,
Herbie Hancock,
Herbie Mann,
Hot Tuna,
Isaac Hayes,
Isley Brothers,
Jackson Browne,
James Last,
James Taylor,
Janis Joplin,
Jeff Beck,
Jefferson Airplane,
Jefferson Starship,
Jethro Tull,
Jim Croce,
Joan Baez,
Joe Cocker,
John Denver,
John Lennon,
Johnny Cash,
Johnny Mathis,
Johnny Winter,
Joni Mitchell,
Jose Feliciano,
Kraftwerk,
Kris Kristofferson,
Labelle,
Larry Coryell,
Liza Minnelli,
Loggins & Messina,
Lynn Anderson,
Mac Davis,
Mahavishnu Orchestra,
Mantovani,
Marvin Gaye,
MFSB,
Michael Jackson & Jackson 5,
Miles Davis,
Mike Oldfield,
Minnie Riperton,
Miracles,
Modern Jazz Quartet,
Moody Blues,
Mott The Hoople,
Mountain,
Nana Mouskouri,
Neil Diamond,
Ohio Players,
O'Jays,
Paul Anka,
Paul McCartney,
Paul Simon,
Percy Faith,
Perry Como,
Pink Floyd,
Poco,
Quincy Jones,
Raiders,
Randy Newman,
Rare Earth,
Ray Conniff,
Reo Speedwagon,
Return To Forever,
Rick Derringer,
Rick Wakeman,
Ringo Starr,
Roberta Flack,
Roy Clark,
Rufus,
Santana,
Seals & Crofts,
Sergio Mendes,
Shirley Bassey,
Simon & Garfunkel,
Sly & The Family Stone,
Spinners,
Staple Singers,
Steely Dan,
Stephen Stills,
Steve Miller Band,
Stylistics,
Supremes,
Tammy Wynette,
Ted Nugent,
Temptations,
Ten Years After,
Three Dog Night,
Tom Jones,
Tomita,
Tower Of Power,
War,
Weather Report,
Wild Cherry,
Wings,
Youngblooods,
ZZ Top...

Ps. Any or all of these artists may not be your cup of tea.. and you may not consider them relevant now (and I accept some of them are not so these days) or you may not think them to be big sellers... but no matter what you say, I am going to keep on challenging you every time you continue to propagate this myth at the QQ board that there are/were no major acts during the Quadraphonic era. It is simply NOT true.

Agreed. IMHO the AP Quad of DSOTM is a better overall experience than any of the Chicago releases in the Quadio set. The ones I've heard so far are uniformly excellent, but none are DSOTM.

I'll take Chicago V over DSOTM anyday.

Sone exceptionally strong acts represented in Quadraphonic format:

Aerosmith,
Al Green,
Andy Williams,
Barbra Streisand,
Billy Joel,
Black Sabbath,
Blood Sweat & Tears,
Blue Öyster Cult,
Bob Dylan,
Bread,
Carly Simon,
Carole King,
Carpenters,
Chicago,
Deep Purple,
Diana Ross,
Doobie Brothers,
Doors,
Eagles,
Earth Wind & Fire,
Edgar Winter,
Elvis Presley,
Emerson Lake & Palmer,
Eric Clapton,
Four Tops,
Herbie Hancock,
Isaac Hayes,
Isley Brothers,
James Taylor,
Janis Joplin,
Jeff Beck,
Jethro Tull,
John Lennon,
Johnny Cash,
Johnny Mathis,
Joni Mitchell,
Kris Kristofferson,
Marvin Gaye,
Michael Jackson & Jackson 5,
Miles Davis,
Mike Oldfield,
Moody Blues,
Neil Diamond,
O'Jays,
Paul McCartney,
Paul Simon,
Pink Floyd,
Santana,
Simon & Garfunkel,
Steely Dan,
Steve Miller Band,
Temptations,
Wings

Ringo Starr

Whoa! Gotta give you credit for having the cajones to speak your mind on that, seilerbird. There are some real diehard Floyd fans on this site who would go completely nuts over that statement. Anyway, I personally wouldn't want to have to ever do without Chicago V or DSOTM (Or CTA, Chicago II, III, VII, WYWH, The Wall, Animals, etc. for that matter.)

Whoa! Gotta give you credit for having the cajones to speak your mind on that, seilerbird. There are some real diehard Floyd fans on this site who would go completely nuts over that statement. Anyway, I personally wouldn't want to have to ever do without Chicago V or DSOTM (Or CTA, Chicago II, III, VII, WYWH, The Wall, Animals, etc. for that matter.)

You have to consider that DSOTM is a little long in the tooth...I love it but it has lost some of it's umph over the years for ME.....just depends on how much you have listened to it over the years...the advantage Chicago has is it's "fresh"...I'm familiar with their hits but a lot of this other material is brand new for me...that adds a little to it for me...I'm not surprised that some people would prefer it over DSOTM...I wonder how many times I have listened to some of those songs..especially Time and Money...geeze...hard to estimate how many times I've heard those songs..but those songs are indeed classics...and always will be....I like the Chicago SET better...but if it came down to a one disc showdown then DSOTM would win for ME..

PF thought in surround (quad). They were the pioneers of surround.

I'm not so sure Chicago did, that's why I'm so surprised, satisfied about this release.

Some exceptionally strong acts represented in Quadraphonic format:

Ps. Any or all of these artists may not be your cup of tea.. and you may not consider them relevant now (and I accept some of them are not so these days) or you may not think them to be big sellers... but no matter what you say, I am going to keep on challenging you every time you continue to propagate this myth at the QQ board that there are/were no major acts during the Quadraphonic era. It is simply NOT true.
well you know, i never was fan of Chicago but can't deny during 70s they was quite stable in delivering strong album after album.
past experience with Quadio by Rhino and AF didn't showed you anything?
if you're open to accept anything in quad, be careful what you wish for.
other way fanatical stubbornness will do more harm than good to all that HiRez surround renaissance from the past.

I definitely would not.

I am not saying that Chicago V has many merits and great songs, aamof, I love it!

First of all, it's apples and oranges..you can't compare them musically.

Chicago was extremely influenced by BS&Tears...they were also quite original in some ways..
OTOH
Pink Floyd was influenced by...(anyone wanna step in? cause I can't seem to recall any influences that are reflected on DSOTM...The Beatles????)...I'm sure there were influences but none that come to mind...

the DSOTM AP Mix was a milestone and almost treated like a scientific project (cause it was!), so much so that there was no way that anyone, not even PF themselves could go beyond that, so they went somewhere else...

Chicago, otoh, basically repeated its formula over many LPs (if it ain't broke , don't fix it!).

it's really a combination of many things that make both albums special, but the "ingredients" on DSOTM went beyond the "conventional" boundaries (heck...how many consecutive years was it charting on the Billboard Top 200 without ever leaving it? was it like 20? something ridiculous!)-it strikes a primordial vein (Life and Death, madness, greed) that Chicago does not.

And , although I don't live in the US where "Time" gets played to death, I STILL sit down and listen to it once in a while; there are so many details that you will find in every listen, which really does not happen with any of the Chicago albums.

That is stupid. Why would anyone go nuts over someone's opinion. I did not say Pink Floyd is better than Chicago, I said I prefer V to DSOTM. I am a huge PF fan but they cannot beat the Beatles, Santana or Joe Satriani in my book. Don't PF fans have any idea that there are other performers in this world? They can go as nuts as they want because if my opinions drive them nuts then they have much bigger problems than me.

Back