Quad LP/Tape Poll Poco: Deliverin' [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Deliverin'"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-So

• 1: Suckdom Central

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Epic EQ 30209 from 1971.

Side 1:

I Guess You Made It
C'Mon
Hear That Music
Kind Woman
Medley: Hard Luck, Child's Claim to Fame, Pickin' Up the Pieces

Side 2:

You'd Better Think Twice
A Man Like Me
Medley: Just in Case It Happens, Yes Indeed; Grand Junction; Consequently So Long

ED :)

I love the other 3 Poco Quads (all studio albums, unlike this one that's a live set) and those other 3 are all excellent in every way.. but this is bordering on terrible.. nothing wrong with the Live performances themselves in fact they're very good and its nice to hear some of the earlier material in such a setting etc.. the mix isn't anything to write home about from a Quad point of view but the killer is the sound quality which is utterly abysmal.

A generous "4".

Yer nuts. This is my favorite quad album. Longer than the stereo LP, with much more audience interplay from Richie (he must yell out "Boogie" a dozen times), and the full intro from Dennis Elsas. A 10. My #1 request for the AF treatment. After all, Steve loves Poco.

Charming! ;)

As I said previously, I'm not knocking it as an album or criticising the performances, all of which are fine.

I'm listening to this one right now, so I'm as fresh hearing it as possible before I post another word about it ...and fair play, the surround mix is even better than I remembered.. lovely vocals neatly steered to the rears etc..

..but I'm sticking to my guns on the sound quality of the recording itself, I'm just not enjoying it much. It has a pinched-in sound that's kinda dominated by a honky midrange.. on some tunes there's little-to-no low end, like the bass has been dialled down or something and pretty much no top end air to it.. like it was recorded through a sock and laid down on cassette.. sound improves a fair bit after Pickin' Up The Pieces (and there's some nice bass at last.. and great playing!) but that's quite a chunk of music to get through already before I can start enjoying the sound!

So, sadly, I've got to stick to the "4", harsh as it may seem (and I hardly ever vote as low here at QQ in the Polls) but I'm giving it:
1 point for the performance,
1 point for the Quad mix,
1 point for the noticeable uptick in sound on Side 2 vs. Side 1
and 1 point for it being extended in length over the stereo

If AF did resurrect it, it would regrettably be the first of their Quad SACDs I possibly wouldn't buy.. but I'd be thrilled for you seeing as you love it and long for it :)

[Oh and on a slight tangent, I would add, I similarly dislike (even more so than this one as it happens, so if Ed creates QQ Polls for them too, all ye members here get ready for some ultra low votes.. I might have to refrain from voting I don't want to offend anybody!) the Quads of Santana Live w/Buddy Miles (not for the performance but for the horrific sound) and that Billy Paul in Europe album, God rest him it really showed up his vocal limitations in that live setting, it is a set of mostly horrendous performances (mercifully its a short set!!) with a gritty/granular sound that grates on my ears, to me its just awful (and I love Billy Paul about as much as I do Poco, so its almost as painful it elicits that response as it is listening to it! :D ]

If AF did resurrect it, it would regrettably be the first of their Quad SACDs I possibly wouldn't buy.. but I'd be thrilled for you seeing as you love it and long for it :)

Well Audio Fidelity might release a better sounding mastering that this version you have so maybe you would buy it after all. ;)

Well Audio Fidelity might release a better sounding mastering that this version you have so maybe you would buy it after all. ;)

Ah.. that may well be a possibility, my friend :)

Meantime, why not check out the Stereo on iTunes (which I suspect has had quite some remastering done to it,) despite what seems like loudness and a bass boost, I feel the remastering brought some sonic benefit, it sounds pretty decent, could be better but its quite listenable..

..and then spin the Quad.. to me, its quite a shock how awful the Quad sounds by comparison..

..but maybe, as you say, AF can perform miracles on the Quad tapes, if they ever get their hands on them.. I'd be open to that, hence I said in post number 4 in this thread; "it would regrettably be the first of their Quad SACDs I possibly wouldn't buy.." :upthumb

Imagine if I could give the AF SACD a "10" down the line.. that would be a very good day! :banana:

Yer nuts. This is my favorite quad album. Longer than the stereo LP, with much more audience interplay from Richie (he must yell out "Boogie" a dozen times), and the full intro from Dennis Elsas. A 10. My #1 request for the AF treatment. After all, Steve loves Poco.
Correction: Pete Fornatale.

Charming! ;)

As I said previously, I'm not knocking it as an album or criticising the performances, all of which are fine.

I'm listening to this one right now, so I'm as fresh hearing it as possible before I post another word about it ...and fair play, the surround mix is even better than I remembered.. lovely vocals neatly steered to the rears etc..

..but I'm sticking to my guns on the sound quality of the recording itself, I'm just not enjoying it much. It has a pinched-in sound that's kinda dominated by a honky midrange.. on some tunes there's little-to-no low end, like the bass has been dialled down or something and pretty much no top end air to it.. like it was recorded through a sock and laid down on cassette.. sound improves a fair bit after Pickin' Up The Pieces (and there's some nice bass at last.. and great playing!) but that's quite a chunk of music to get through already before I can start enjoying the sound!
][/I]

It sounds OK to my ears, for me not a 4. Maybe your LP is overplayed? However it is far from perfect and the music is not really doing it for me. A "6".

It sounds OK to my ears, for me not a 4. Maybe your LP is overplayed? However it is far from perfect and the music is not really doing it for me. A "6".

Good point! Ordinarily I'd be very open to the possibility of the record being knackered (lord knows some of the SQ stuff I've picked up the last 12-ish months has been pretty poor!) however, in this particular instance I double checked where I got it from and the seller is someone who told me they prided themselves on looking after their collection of Quad records for 40 years and everything else I got from them was in lovely nick, sounding nothing like this disc.
I double checked the individual Discogs listing from last September and it was described as "Media Condition: Near Mint (NM or M-)
Sleeve Condition: Very Good (VG) [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Nimbus Sans, Arial, sans-serif]Vinyl looks to be unplayed" and a quick visual check of the vinyl under the fluorescent in my kitchen shows what looks like a record in genuinely excellent condition.. but to double-check I'll give it a spin thru the record cleaning machine and try it out on my new turntable (albeit in stereo at this point, pre amp still not here.. boo hoo!) just to eliminate any potential issues of cleanliness and the possibility of my old record player not being upto snuff.. and get right back to you! :)[/FONT]

Ok, so after a good old cleanup in the RCM and a playthrough on my "new but old" SL1210 (with an AT440MLb cart I'm running in til the CD-4 box turns up, then I'm gonna really let "rip"! ..a combo thru which most records are already sounding pretty cool thru just my AVRs phono preamp, which is probably pretty poor quality compared to an external one) and after all that, I stick by my initial feelings = Side 2 still sounds better than Side 1 with more low end and less of the midrange 'grittiness' of the first side.. but compared to the Stereo that's available on iTunes the sound and mix (particularly of the rhythm section) of this Quad, on my SQ LP at least, is not great to my ears.

If somebody would send me just one track or even a clip of something from Side 1 of their SQ LP or similar selection from their Q8, then I would be in a position to make more of a definitive summation.. anybody here got a clip to hand?

I'd love to be wrong on this one, Poco are one of the best bands I've come across during my Quad exploration the last few years, v.underrated group imho and their 3 other Quads (Crazy Eyes, Seven, Cantamos) are all excellent in SQ LP form as decoded by the SQ vinyl modded Surround Master.

Ok, so after a good old cleanup in the RCM and a playthrough on my "new but old" SL1210 (with an AT440MLb cart I'm running in til the CD-4 box turns up, then I'm gonna really let "rip"! ..a combo thru which most records are already sounding pretty cool thru just my AVRs phono preamp, which is probably pretty poor quality compared to an external one) and after all that, I stick by my initial feelings = Side 2 still sounds better than Side 1 with more low end and less of the midrange 'grittiness' of the first side.. but compared to the Stereo that's available on iTunes the sound and mix (particularly of the rhythm section) of this Quad, on my SQ LP at least, is not great to my ears.

If somebody would send me just one track or even a clip of something from Side 1 of their SQ LP or similar selection from their Q8, then I would be in a position to make more of a definitive summation.. anybody here got a clip to hand?

I'd love to be wrong on this one, Poco are one of the best bands I've come across during my Quad exploration the last few years, v.underrated group imho and their 3 other Quads (Crazy Eyes, Seven, Cantamos) are all excellent in SQ LP form as decoded by the SQ vinyl modded Surround Master.
The main problem is that it was from the very first batch of SQ LPs, in 1973.They got better in the next couple of years, and then dropped off the face of the earth.

The main problem is that it was from the very first batch of SQ LPs, in 1973.They got better in the next couple of years, and then dropped off the face of the earth.

Got it, thanks for the info (y)

So I'll give up on the SQ LP of this one now but I'm not giving up on it altogether, even if I have to get the Q8 tape and a Q8 deck and do it myself,
I'm a stubborn little bugger and I'm determined to hear this in proper Quad! Poco are, like the L'Oreal girl, "worth it"..! :p

Back