Top 10 Audio Fidelity Surround SACD albums / Make your List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good point.. everything in this "surround game" (even The Scorpions!) is available once it's gone out of print, at a price.. ;)

This is why I've decided to put aside 90% of the new Multichannel releases (meaning those that truly interest me) aside so I can play catch up on titles that have been out for ten to fifteen years. I've been lucky lately but I still have some on my want list.

Fredblu,

For me always priority number one will be the music and then the quality of the surround mix. Thank you for pointing out the differences on the tracking list between the SACD and the DVD Audio of GEORGE BENSON - BREEZIN'. Also, already have the great album of Jeff Beck "Blow by Blow" in surround. In my opinion, superior like you said, to AFZ5-219: JEFF BECK GROUP - JEFF BECK GROUP. (do not care to much about the music in this album)

Definitely will buy,

AFZ5-196: LABELLE - NIGHTBIRDS (like the music)
AFZ5-236: EARTH WIND AND FIRE - HEAD TO THE SKY (love the group)

Thank you very much for your advise and also to my fellow forum members for their recommendations.

Regards,

From that list I'm on the fence to buy

AFZ5-185: GEORGE BENSON - BREEZIN' (love this album, already have the DVD Audio)
AFZ5-196: LABELLE - NIGHTBIRDS
AFZ5-219: JEFF BECK GROUP - JEFF BECK GROUP
AFZ5-236: EARTH WIND AND FIRE - HEAD TO THE SKY

The rest of that list, like you said, I really do not care about the music.

Regards,

Sergio -

I tried to send you a private message but received an error. I've got the Jeff Beck Group SACD and I'd like to part with it, if you're interested.

Paul

From that list I'm on the fence to buy

AFZ5-185: GEORGE BENSON - BREEZIN' (love this album, already have the DVD Audio)
AFZ5-196: LABELLE - NIGHTBIRDS
AFZ5-219: JEFF BECK GROUP - JEFF BECK GROUP

Nightbirds is still $10 on sale, buy them all together at once from AS and get free domestic shipping.

And support a quality domestic midwestern business.

This is why I've decided to put aside 90% of the new Multichannel releases (meaning those that truly interest me) aside so I can play catch up on titles that have been out for ten to fifteen years. I've been lucky lately but I still have some on my want list.

SNAP! :D
..I did the same thing as you, Simon (so it was kinda surreal people slating me for either not getting the more recent or more common stuff like the Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree 5.1's etc., or not getting around to opening it all for years.. it happened here, google it, if you're bored, it was 'slightly hurtful' but we brush these things off don't we.. I guess some folk hadn't worked out there was a strategy there.. in as much as come 2008, I was faced with the stark realisation there was about 8 years worth of SACDs I really wanted to catch up on (had a number on the other modern day surround formats already, the gaps were lower priority before too long) and the SACDs just kept going up and up and up in value..!! ..so it was a race against time to get some of that stuff (like Legalise It, 3+3, 52nd St., Stranger, Satriani, Boys & Girls, Frantic.. etc!) and I left some of it too late and had to pay over the odds because I was so desperate to hear it in surround or own a legit copy rather than a rip (Avalon, Toto IV, Tubular Bells, Lovebox, etc) now more people are doing it that way if they want to hear or own quantity of the OOP stuff, such as yourself, it's fun but it's fractious and not for the faint-hearted! :D ).

One thing (on this tangent) that has surprised me, is AF not reissuing more of the now pricey out of print Surround evergreens on their Surround SACDs (I quite thought they'd redo Ship Ahoy, 3+3, etc) but.. there you go.. they didn't/haven't.. :eek:

Nightbirds is still $10 on sale, buy them all together at once from AS and get free domestic shipping.

And support a quality domestic midwestern business.

Great advice! :upthumb

They're cheap right now (won't stay that way, guaranteed) so get em while you can! :D

If it weren't for the glut of great new surround things that have been coming along the last few years (relative to when I first signed up here, times were leaner in that regard, I'd say) these AF Surround titles would've probably all sold out by now I think.. plus less old Quaddies around.. the music biz in a state.. and so on.. timing is a factor methinks.

Fredblu,

For me always priority number one will be the music and then the quality of the surround mix. Thank you for pointing out the differences on the tracking list between the SACD and the DVD Audio of GEORGE BENSON - BREEZIN'. Also, already have the great album of Jeff Beck "Blow by Blow" in surround. In my opinion, superior like you said, to AFZ5-219: JEFF BECK GROUP - JEFF BECK GROUP. (do not care to much about the music in this album)

Definitely will buy,

AFZ5-196: LABELLE - NIGHTBIRDS (like the music)
AFZ5-236: EARTH WIND AND FIRE - HEAD TO THE SKY (love the group)

Thank you very much for your advise and also to my fellow forum members for their recommendations.

Regards,

You're very welcome :)

I hope you enjoy them! :upthumb

Here's my Top 10 so far in no particular order,

AFZ5-186: BLOOMFIELD, KOOPER, STILLS - SUPERSESSION
AFZ5-197: BREAD - BEST OF
AFZ5-198: BS&T - BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS (Second Album)
AFZ5-199: GUESS WHO - BEST OF THE GUESS WHO
AFZ5-202: EARTH WIND & FIRE - OPEN OUR EYES
AFZ5-203: GROVER WASHINGTON - WINELIGHT
AFZ5-204: AMERICA - HOMECOMING
AFZ5-206: THE DOORS - BEST OF THE DOORS
AFZ5-216: LOGGINS & MESSINA - LOGGINS & MESSINA
AFZ5-243: LOGGINS & MESSINA - FULL SAIL

Regards,

Here's my Top 10 so far in no particular order,

AFZ5-197: BREAD - BEST OF
AFZ5-203: GROVER WASHINGTON - WINELIGHT

Regards,

Great list! :upthumb

For me, if that was all AF had ever done in Surround, it would still be a respectable line up.. and that they did even more great surround titles (despite my own personal chagrin over RTF, WR, etc) is rather an amazing feat.. will be interesting to see if "this is it" (as Melba Moore sang) or "the best is yet to come" (as the lovely Peggy Lee sang!)..

AFZ5-215: SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - GREATEST HITS
AFZ5-212: THE MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - BIRDS OF FIRE
AFZ5-229: ALICE COOPER - MUSCLE OF LOVE
AFZ5-234: BILLY COBHAM - SPECTRUM
AFZ5-248: BLUE OYSTER CULT - SECRET TREATIES

I wanted to include the Herbie Hancock but then I would have had to drop either The Doors, or Sly, and I can't live without those two hits collections.

AF certainly have rescued some amazing quad masters, and a great variety of styles, something for everyone.

AFZ5-185: GEORGE BENSON - BREEZIN' (on my way)
AFZ5-195: BS&T - CHILD IS THE FATHER TO MAN
AFZ5-196: LABELLE - NIGHTBIRDS (on my way)
AFZ5-197: BREAD - BEST OF BREAD
AFZ5-203: GROVER WASHINGTON, JR. - WINELIGHT
AFZ5-207: BILLY JOEL - STREETLIFE SERENADE
AFZ5-212: THE MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA - BIRDS OF FIRE
AFZ5-215: SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - GREATEST HITS
AFZ5-219: JEFF BECK GROUP - JEFF BECK GROUP (on my way)
AFZ5-220: JUDY COLLINS - COLORS OF THE DAY
AFZ5-223: HERBIE HANCOCK - THRUST
AFZ5-229: ALICE COOPER - MUSCLE OF LOVE
AFZ5-230: BOB DYLAN - BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 6
AFZ5-231: AMERICA - HEARTS
AFZ5-234: BILLY COBHAM - SPECTRUM
AFZ5-236: EARTH WIND AND FIRE - HEAD TO THE SKY (on my way)
AFZ5-237: LAURA NYRO - ELI AND THE THIRTEENTH CONFESSION
AFZ5-238: MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER - FRESH AIRE 8
AFZ5-240: VARIOUS ARTISTS - THE COLLECTION
AFZ5-248: BLUE OYSTER CULT - SECRET TREATIES
AFZ5-520: NEW YORK VOICES - LET IT SNOW

Bolded are the titles that I own or are on my way.

Thanks to my fellow forum members for the recommendations.

I'm still on the fence to buy the Jeff Beck Group and Judy Collins titles, I'm not familiar with the music because never heard these albums before. Need to sample them again.

Update: Just got The Jeff Beck Group SACD :):):)

Regards,

Last edited:
I'm still on the fence to buy the Jeff Beck Group and Judy Collins titles, I'm not familiar with the music because never heard these albums before. Need to sample them again.

IMHO I think you would be much better off buying "The Jeff Beck Group" than you would buying the Judy Collins SACD, but others may disagree with me on that. ;)

IMHO I think you would be much better off buying "The Jeff Beck Group" than you would buying the Judy Collins SACD, but others may disagree with me on that. ;)

I wholeheartedly agree. :)

The Jeff Beck Group - The Jeff Beck Group SACD

$40.65 usd shipped from Audio Fidelity. Not cheap!!!!!

I do really put the blame on you guys :yikes:yikes:mad:@::mad:@::):)

Regards,

Imagine when it'll be OOP. ;)

Well.. I want to tread carefully, as I know some folk here love the Judy Collins Best Of Quad.. and no disrespect to them or to the artist/disc/mix/AF, ec, etc.. but to me this is another one of those "head-scratchers" in AF's surround releases (really only one of about 3 or 4 that made little to no sense to me) how they were expecting to sell a stack of the Judy Collins, I don't know.. I could name dozens of Quads off the top of my head that would have done better business and made more sense for AF to release nowadays (imho!) but then they're the experts, I'm just a punter, fair play to them they gave it their best shot, we move on..

Back