Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow...you guyses' rigs are just beautiful!!!!

makes me feel like a baby!!!!

One thing I've always asked myself...and please don't take it personally, it's just an observation...
Why don't I see more studio monitors in the listening rooms?

If it's what the pros use, I'll use it in my house as well...

My next big step will include some Genelecs!!!

At the risk of offending anyone who uses studio monitors, many of them are far afield from accurate reproduction. Most studio monitors are durable and well built. Although I sold lots of brands of studio monitors in my hi-fi career, there was always something in our store that had a better tonal balance and/or better imaging.

Although classical music is less than 10% of my listening, I've often recommended to evaluate speakers with classical music, because it's (nearly always) acoustically created music. Processed and/or electronically amplified music isn't acoustically accurate or natural to begin with. OK, most of what I listen to isn't acoustic instrumentation. Still, if speakers can reproduce instruments' natural sound, they will do a wonderful job on electronically altered sounds, as well. The reverse is usually not true.

Although it's not the majority of what I listen to, I know what classical music should sound like live. For many years, under both Solti and Barenboim, I was a season subscriber to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

wow...you guyses' rigs are just beautiful!!!!

makes me feel like a baby!!!!

One thing I've always asked myself...and please don't take it personally, it's just an observation...
Why don't I see more studio monitors in the listening rooms?

If it's what the pros use, I'll use it in my house as well...

My next big step will include some Genelecs!!!

Although classical music is less than 10% of my listening, I've often recommended to evaluate speakers with classical music, because it's (nearly always) acoustically created music. Processed and/or electronically amplified music isn't acoustically accurate or natural to begin with. OK, most of what I listen to isn't acoustic instrumentation. Still, if speakers can reproduce instruments' natural sound, they will do a wonderful job on electronically altered sounds, as well. The reverse is usually not true.

wholeheartedly with you on this Linda.
best way to audition the speakers is to listen on them classical or any sort of another genre, which utilizes in recording natural acoustic sources and best of all, the vocals.

At the risk of offending anyone who uses studio monitors, many of them are far afield from accurate reproduction. Most studio monitors are durable and well built. Although I sold lots of brands of studio monitors in my hi-fi career, there was always something in our store that had a better tonal balance and/or better imaging.

Very interesting...I wanted you to pipe in just cause of this....

I know that studios are EQ'ed to the hilt to make them sound as "flat" as possible, and , of course, every studio will sound different.(and let's not forget that most of the work is done in small speakers like those horrible Yamaha NS-10s...and to test the mixes, you also get the "mighty" Auratones!!!!, but that's besides the point)

I thought that the premise of having studio monitors would "mimic" the end result in a more efficient manner than consumer speakers.

Obviously, consumer speakers will have their own "sound", and I'm sure that all of them will "color" the sound in their own way.

In a way, it'd be interesting to have at least 2 sets of speakers at home...studio monitors and consumer speakers...

What's your setup again? (never mind, I'll look it up)

Thanks, Linda!

Main listening system: 4 Mission 775 full-range towers w/matching center and Rel T-9 sub (400w), driven by B&K Reference 50 THX-Ultra 2 7.1preamp/B&K 4420 power amp (250w x2)/B&K 4430 power amp (200w x 3). It can run as 5.1, 5.0, 4.1, 4.0, 3.1, 3.0, 2.1 or 2.0 as currently configured.

I love British speakers because most image well and have little/no coloration.

There are 5 other surround and/or Quad systems, one is in a car, all with less accuracy, plus assorted other parts. The #2 system in the bedroom is a Denon AVR-3801 (110w x 7) driving Polk speakers.

...What's your setup again? (never mind, I'll look it up)

Thanks, Linda!

same as Linda, i also found the british made speakers sounds best in regard of neutrality/smoothness of the sound.
in regards of "studio" monitors, hard to say what does this term means. as you Al pointed out, there are wide range with very different sound
fall under this category. on top of this, lots of studio uses "consumer" range of speakers for example JBL and Tannoy,
sounds of which radically different. what i've noticed the main criteria in selection of the speakers for work is the speakers with high threshold of sensitivity.

I know you'all have the Quad setups going.....but either way, we need to keep the pictures coming in this thread. This is looking to my right in my listening room....that would be my right front Klipsch and a few LP's.....a little KEF for the 7 in 7.1 and my monster home built sub on the floor. :smokin

F0AD2BAA-99BD-4FCB-85D2-F6EFE12B4B55.jpg

I was looking at this setup thinking.. "Wow, how unique... fireplace on top, TV down below, equipment high on the wall where you can easily see it... my setup seems so boring"... then I realized the stockings were defying gravity.:smoking

(I think the little guy doing a handstand threw me off!)

(I'm also a little buzzed)

Last edited:
I was looking at this setup thinking.. "Wow, how unique... fireplace on top, TV down below, equipment high on the wall where you can easily see it... my setup seems so boring"... then I realized the stockings were defying gravity.:smoking

(I think the little guy doing a handstand through me off!)

(I'm also a little buzzed)

haha.. ;) my immediate thought was "how comes Mark's super tweeters (or whatever those things are called that handle the v. high freq stuff) are on the bottom of his speakers? they should be on the top!" then I sussed it with the fireplace floating in mid air, the windows/curtains so low on the wall.. at least I've got my priorities right! :ugham:

haha.. ;) my immediate thought was "how comes Mark's super tweeters (or whatever those things are called that handle the v. high freq stuff) are on the bottom of his speakers? they should be on the top!" then I sussed it with the fireplace floating in mid air, the windows/curtains so low on the wall.. at least I've got my priorities right! :ugham:

We've gravitated from the Twilight to the Marpow Zone.

BTW, Adam, those are B&W's proprietary 'ice cream cone' tweeters (my term for them) which grace most of the B&W series speakers. They rock....just like Markie!:banana:

Holee Crap, Marpow.
You've got some serious ampage driving those little B&Ws.

People posting their systems should list out the gear.
Please do.
Obvious it's stacks-o-macs but what, what, what?

Back