Pink Floyd Animals ever Quadraphonic release??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Nephilim

Hi Everybody,

I have been absent for some time but still enjoying Surround music.. I do have a question about the 70's Quadraphonic. I am curious was ther ever anykind of Pink Floyd Animals done in the Quadraphonic 4.0??

I ask as I have a copy of Animals and it seems so discreet but don't remember the source of it.. Now I was curious if this album was ever released or any kind of demo pressing or something in Quad 4.0??

IT just seems to discreet to be a fake.. I know there are tons probally of the fake quad but this sounds to discreet that is what I would like to know if it is real or Memorex..

If it was real why was Animals never released in modern times like WYWH and DSOTM??

Animals only circulates in surround as an upmix.

There is some question as to whether it was mixed in quad in the 70s as there was a catalog number assigned but never issued. No evidence has ever appeared to verify or dispute such a mix.

As for a modern release, they have been walking down the ladder of sales for those box sets. A Wall mix was said to have been in the works, but reports suggest the master tapes were/are in bad shape, so the mix has not proceeded. The only three albums to not get some manner of Box Set treatment now are Animals, The Final Cut, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. The pre-DSOTM albums are presumably covered by the recent Early Years box. Of the named remaining albums, Animals has to be the biggest draw for Floyd fans, so if it is going to happen at all I suspect that will be the next release.

At that time we should learn if there was a classic quad mix or not.

Animals only circulates in surround as an upmix.

There is some question as to whether it was mixed in quad in the 70s as there was a catalog number assigned but never issued. No evidence has ever appeared to verify or dispute such a mix.

As for a modern release, they have been walking down the ladder of sales for those box sets. A Wall mix was said to have been in the works, but reports suggest the master tapes were/are in bad shape, so the mix has not proceeded. The only three albums to not get some manner of Box Set treatment now are Animals, The Final Cut, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. The pre-DSOTM albums are presumably covered by the recent Early Years box. Of the named remaining albums, Animals has to be the biggest draw for Floyd fans, so if it is going to happen at all I suspect that will be the next release.

At that time we should learn if there was a classic quad mix or not.

James Guthrie has been working on a surround mix for The Wall for many years now, and I've read that the master tapes weren't in the best shape, but last I heard he was still supposedly working on it. I would love to have The Wall in surround, but I'd much rather have Animals. I'm totally guessing, but I think we'll probably get The Wall before Animals.

Edit: Here's a quote from an interview about 16 months ago:

Mettler: Can you discuss any of your future hi-res/5.1 (re)mixing plans? Have you and Roger discussed doing other albums from his solo canon, such as [1984’s] The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and [1987’s] Radio K.A.O.S., or other Floyd material like [1977’s] Animals?

Guthrie: I’m going to be starting a 5.1 mix of The Wall soon — the original studio album, that is. And we have discussed Animals. We haven’t talked about Pros and Cons or K.A.O.S., but you never know!

http://www.soundbard.com/soundbard/...on-mixing-roger-waters-and-pink-floyd-in-5-1/

After the debacle with the 5.1 mixes that were supposed to be a (official) part of the Early Years box set, I wouldn't be surprised if we never got any new 5.1 mixes from Pink Floyd again.
As for classic Quadraphonic mixes, that's a different story, and if there were to be a deluxe reissue of "Animals", now would be the time for its 40th anniversary this year!

:)

After the debacle with the 5.1 mixes that were supposed to be a (official) part of the Early Years box set, I wouldn't be surprised if we never got any new 5.1 mixes from Pink Floyd again.
As for classic Quadraphonic mixes, that's a different story, and if there were to be a deluxe reissue of "Animals", now would be the time for its 40th anniversary this year!

That's an incredibly sad prospect. Although I'm more of a fan of the older stuff, I'd love to have 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' in surround too. I read somewhere that if they did do it, they might 'modernize' some of the more 80's sounds from the album, which I would personally prefer they didn't. I'd rather that the surround mix was based solely on the original version of the album.

That's an incredibly sad prospect. Although I'm more of a fan of the older stuff, I'd love to have 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' in surround too. I read somewhere that if they did do it, they might 'modernize' some of the more 80's sounds from the album, which I would personally prefer they didn't. I'd rather that the surround mix was based solely on the original version of the album.

I should clarify what I said in that what I said concerns the albums leading up to and including "The Final Cut" (aka all the albums involving Roger Waters)
I'm certain that if David Gilmour and Nick Mason wanted Andy Jackson to mix "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" in 5.1 surround, it would be done, and it would come out. They are not the problem…

;)

I should clarify what I said in that what I said concerns the albums leading up to and including "The Final Cut" (aka all the albums involving Roger Waters)
I'm certain that if David Gilmour and Nick Mason wanted Andy Jackson to mix "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" in 5.1 surround, it would be done, and it would come out. They are not the problem…

;)

Yeah, I was just daydreaming about Momentary Lapse. I'd much rather get Animals or The Wall. I'd probably rather get Momentary Lapse than The Final Cut though. The Final Cut was my first exposure to full-length album listening as a teenager and used to be one of my favorites, but now it's not as high on my list. It is an extremely dynamic album and I'm sure Nick and Roger's tape effects would be amazing in surround.

James Guthrie has been working on a surround mix for The Wall for many years now, and I've read that the master tapes weren't in the best shape, but last I heard he was still supposedly working on it. I would love to have The Wall in surround, but I'd much rather have Animals. I'm totally guessing, but I think we'll probably get The Wall before Animals.

http://www.soundbard.com/soundbard/...on-mixing-roger-waters-and-pink-floyd-in-5-1/

This is a great interview! Thanks for posting the link.

As for the Wall, I did not mean to imply that the project was dead, merely that it has not come to fruition. For all I know it is sitting finished in the can right now. Perhaps they are giving some breathing space after the release of the expensive box set.

Hopefully The Wall in surround would get a stand-alone release since a big box 'o Wall has already been released. They shoulda' camped it onto the recent release of the Roger Waters Wall movie. It might have added more value to that project and possibly sold more.

After the debacle with the 5.1 mixes that were supposed to be a (official) part of the Early Years box set, I wouldn't be surprised if we never got any new 5.1 mixes from Pink Floyd again...

Because of a production/management stuff up no more PF in surround? Sounds like a fair bit of:
"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?" :)

Unfortunate that he didn't complete The Wall prior to releasing the Immersion set, the lack of surround makes that one a "thanks, but no thanks" for me. An Animals Immersion with 5.1 mix and the long lost quad (if it ever existed...), well, that would be my 2017 show topper. After the Division Bell release, I would have thought we would have seen A Momentary Lapse by this point already.......have at it Andy J.! You did a great job on the former. (y)

I've had two people who didn't know each other tell me they saw the quad "Animals" LP for sale on the first day of its release, they went home to get the money and when they got back to the store it was gone. Further adding to the belief it was released was its listing in price guide books, although that's not proof the compilers of such lists ever saw them, but they received information from record dealers that they had sold such a pressing in the past and received a payment reflected in the quoted value in the book. To date, nobody has ever presented physical proof that such a copy exists. It was announced for release, at least.
There may be test pressings. A few years ago, I was negotiating to buy a record collection from a music industry person living in Los Angeles. The deal never came together, I've heard he's since passed away, he either sold the collection to someone else or it's in the possession of his heirs, but I haven't seen any appearances of some of the rarer items that were in it. One was a test pressing of "Animals", which he said "sounded different". He didn't mention "quadraphonic" or "SQ" anywhere in what was written on the label, I didn't ask him, not wanting to tip him off that he might have something truly unique (he was already over-valuing everything in the collection). So, maybe...

The one I need to have, it would be the pinnacle of my collection if not many. One day they'll remix a surround mix hopefully.

I've had two people who didn't know each other tell me they saw the quad "Animals" LP for sale on the first day of its release, they went home to get the money and when they got back to the store it was gone. Further adding to the belief it was released was its listing in price guide books, although that's not proof the compilers of such lists ever saw them, but they received information from record dealers that they had sold such a pressing in the past and received a payment reflected in the quoted value in the book. To date, nobody has ever presented physical proof that such a copy exists. It was announced for release, at least.
There may be test pressings. A few years ago, I was negotiating to buy a record collection from a music industry person living in Los Angeles. The deal never came together, I've heard he's since passed away, he either sold the collection to someone else or it's in the possession of his heirs, but I haven't seen any appearances of some of the rarer items that were in it. One was a test pressing of "Animals", which he said "sounded different". He didn't mention "quadraphonic" or "SQ" anywhere in what was written on the label, I didn't ask him, not wanting to tip him off that he might have something truly unique (he was already over-valuing everything in the collection). So, maybe...

I bought Animals on the first day of release, there was not a Quad version at any store in my area, But in the first day albums the jackets had a big lump to them upon opening the shrink wrap between the gate fold cover was an inflated pink pig, it was so cool I went back to buy another one the next day and bummer all the ones left were flat as normal so I only ever got the one.

unless there is a Quad master in the can I seriously doubt Animals will ever get a surround release treatment, my best guess is the masters are in crap shape so no 5.1

I've had two people who didn't know each other tell me they saw the quad "Animals" LP for sale on the first day of its release, they went home to get the money and when they got back to the store it was gone. Further adding to the belief it was released was its listing in price guide books, although that's not proof the compilers of such lists ever saw them, but they received information from record dealers that they had sold such a pressing in the past and received a payment reflected in the quoted value in the book.

It was listed for some time in the Schwann catalog and because of that I was able to get at least two different chain record stores (Tower and Wherehouse, I believe) to special order it for me. Well, to attempt to special order it. Needless to say, neither store was able to obtain a copy.

that's because it was given a catalog number but was never release as such, even if a few or test pressings had got out, there would be by now a bootleg of it or an insane priced one at auction or ebay. That has never happened.
My belief but I don't know it a fact is it was sub par and rejected.

Took me about 3 weeks to download an upmix title Animals DVDA.
Turns out that it was a DVDA/V.
PINK FLOYD - ANIMALS - QUADRAPHONIC DOUBLE FEATURE
(Q8 & SQ VERSION + BONUS FEATURE)
Whoever did this,put in alot of effort.
If this is what can be done with what is out there, I an only imagine what could be done if the original tapes are in the right hands.
An ears opener!

Back