DVD/DTS Poll Crossfade - Crossfade [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Crossfade - CROSSFADE

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
I like the disc. The songs are typical alternative with a harder edge (like Linkin Park without the DJ). The mix is tasty with the guitars being brought out from the front to the rears to make for a nice full soundstage. There is also some nice vocal effects back there and a few other things as well.

Mix done by Thom C. I am really liking his mixing style. Always tasty and full but not gimicky. I bet this one would really sound great in SACD. I gave it an 8!

I like the music, but was disappointed with the mix. I didn't notice much except the same guitars that were coming from the front speakers blaring from the rears. I think they could have done more with it.

This was my first DualDisc and I was not at all impressed with the quality. I pray that they quickly drop this format! :(

I recently picked this one up. The music is new to me. I'd like to thank Bob for his positive review. I am enjoying it very much. Hard, alternative rock that's similar to Linkin Park, but more guitar centered. It's not as intense and heavy as Slipknot or Korn. Somewhat more mainstream than those bands.
The surround mix is good. It's more conservative than Linkin Park - Reanimation. But, it suits the music very well. The discrete use of the rear channels adds not only guitars but also plenty of vocals, keyboards, etc... Everything blends together well to create a nice overall surround experience. I suppose some would take off points for it being Dolby Digital 5.1, but I'll also give this an 8.

Last edited:
I like the disc. The songs are typical alternative with a harder edge (like Linkin Park without the DJ). The mix is tasty with the guitars being brought out from the front to the rears to make for a nice full soundstage. There is also some nice vocal effects back there and a few other things as well.

Mix done by Thom C. I am really liking his mixing style. Always tasty and full but not gimicky. I bet this one would really sound great in SACD. I gave it an 8!

What is wrong with gimmicks? Stereo is a gimmick. It really annoys me when people say 'but not gimmicky'

This is actually translates to surround much better than I'd expect, but it still doesn't guarantee for repeated spin.

Crossfade (don't confuse them for their Swedish AOR namesakes and their fine surround effort Secret Love) deliver pretty solid album on the verge of alt-rock and nu-metal. Considered that and also them being basically a three-piece, the result is rather solid.

My main issue with this release is the sound, probably originating from the core recording. I even don't want to blame dolby encoding, it's just I can't even stand those shhhh sounding cymbals crashing left and right throughout otherwise pretty varied material. And yes, there's certain portion of loudness, too. Therefore, the softest, acoustic song The Unknown easily gets my highest rating of the bunch.

But when it comes to 5.1 mix, this is no lazy effort. Main vocal in the center, vocals, acoustic guitars or occasional electronic sounds in the rears, although mixed somewhat low. But it all sounds quite muffled and there's a bit of compression present, too.

Not a title to hunt down, but if you're a fan of P.O.D., Limp Bizkit or Mellowtallica, you could check this out, as there's not much stuff like that in surround. I'm leaving with a 6.

P.S.: The cover says Region 1, but this dualdisc is actually region free.

Back