HiRez Poll King Crimson - Lizard [DVD-Audio/Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of King Crimson - LIZARD

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
I just bought six KC discs from Steven's site.

Although I am a huge progressive music fan, I am a self anointed "prog sissy". That is to say, I love crazy hard to play music but with tons
of sweet & sappy harmonies and rich beautiful vocals. A la, YES, ELP & Genesis...

KC has none of that sonic bliss, but that is just my particular tastes. I can't deduct points for what is actually being considered here, which is:

Steven's best remixing and classic KC. If you enjoy KC performing in this particular idiom then this is perfection.

A TEN. How can it not be?

Excellent Fidelity and Mix; challenging, fantastic music on this disc... the epic "Lizard" suite is so cool... this music took some time to grow on me, though... about one listen! Cirkus is also killer. However, "Larks Tongues" is still my favorite (and "Red")! 9.

Excellent Fidelity and Mix; challenging, fantastic music on this disc... the epic "Lizard" suite is so cool... this music took some time to grow on me, though... about one listen! Cirkus is also killer. However, "Larks Tongues" is still my favorite (and "Red")! 9.

You've hit the Trifecta. These are my 3 favorite KC titles. :music

Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio release, the third installment of the King Crimson reissue program.

The same 2009 5.1 mix (mixed by Steven Wilson) is also available on Blu-Ray in the 2017 box set entitled "Sailors' Tales".

Preview scans provided by Neil Wilkes! (THANKS!)

[NOTE: Poll will be added when the discs are shipped]
I don't think this is entirely correct. The new Blu-ray disc offers a "flat transfer" of the 5.1 mix by SW. I haven't investigated this thing enough, but when I compared the two rips (DVD-A and Blu-ray disc) the levels didn't match. I have the feeling it's just a matter of shifted levels... or perhaps the DVD-A presented a mix with a very minimal mastering. I couldn't notice any differences in the mix.
For the stereo remix, it's another story. The blu-ray includes an early version of SW mix (pre Fripp revisions on mellotron, effects and guitar parts). This was confirmed by SW himself through private messages on other forums. Here the mastering is also quite different. So, in conclusion, I'd say that DVD-A and Blu-ray are not the same, at least for Lizard. Please post if you have more info!

When I finally set up my 7.2 system -- the first really good audio system I've had, as my childhood systems were obviously something parents would choose -- this was the first album (well, DVD) I picked to experience. I had bought the previous KC surrounds in anticipation, but was more curious about this one.

OMG! Rocked my world. Childhood familiarity prepared me for the off-beat music, but the surround . . . the surround.

Interestingly, after I sat there stunned, I noticed I hadn't turned on the subwoofers 8'(. No matter. They made it even more of an experience.

So I voted "10" for the memorable moment. In retrospect, LARKS TONGUES IN ASPIC beats it out, but that's more for the fact that I like it more as music. Slightly more (y)

Finally got round to picking this one up , its one of the KC albums I'd never listened to ,and its growing on me! Circus is great as is the Lizard suite , the mix is superb , I'm going for a 9

Last edited:
I'm reviewing the blu ray on the Sailor's Tales box. It's superb, how does one even rate this disc? Wilson is a genius, even Fripp expressed renewed interest in the album after hearing Steven's 5.1 mix. I'm giving it a 9 because, though I love it, it's still not quite up there with the all-time best surround sound mixes I've heard.

When I first assembled a 7.2 system, I had several KC surround discs already at hand -- and chose LIZARD first.

To this day, I remember my great delight at sitting on the ground in the midst of wire coils, plastic wrap, and opened large speaker boxes, listening to LIZARD in all its glory. :rocks

Only after listening to the whole thing did I realize my subs weren't on. Didn't make that much of a difference!

Solid 9, perhaps one of KC's LEAST accessible albums incredible sonics, crazy mch mix that works. and guest vocal by Jon Anderson! love it
I grew up with this record and it got a lot of play simply because I only had 15 or 20 lps. Back in the day I felt it was a pretty weird record. Then I got a Melco music library with a couple of the recent KC live albums on it and the band played some of that record and it really gave me a good feeling. I pulled out the 5.1 mix of the studio album and really really have enjoyed it.

Another retrospective review of the DVD-A (I am listening to the 40th anniversary series in original album release order):

The first time I heard Lizard I hated it. For me, it was defintely an acquired taste.
I can honestly say that Steven Wilson made me appreciate this record, first by saying we should pay more attention and secondly with the remixes (both surround and 5.1).
I am (still) not in love with Haskell vocals, but the music is defintely out of this world. And very different from any other KC record.
For me, the Lizard suit alone make this worth having.
I think the placement and creativity of the 5.1 mix is superb, however, I do find the balance of the mix a bit odd. A lot of main parts sound buried by the arrangements. I still enjoy it, but I would love yet another revision of this (atmos?).
I gave it a 9 because I feel there is still room for improvement.

Back