July 2017 Quadio Forum Musings

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterzach

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I was going to write a blog post this weekend, but I got busy and forgot, so I'll say it here:

This past weekend marked the one year anniversary of the release of the QUADIO box set!
Has there ever been a more phenomenal Quadraphonic release?
(I honestly don't think so, but feel free to disagree…) ;)

I've enjoyed revisiting this set recently, and I still have great hope that Warner Music and Rhino Records will issue more Quadraphonic mixes in due course, especially the 4 amazing Quadraphonic mixes for the Doobie Brothers!

Hope Springs Eternal!

:)

Wow, has it been a year already. I was not a huge Chicago fan before this boxset but these recordings are amazing and what a fantastic boxset.
With Chicago going to be playing at our local fair this August I did bring out this boxset in past week and am starting to go through it so look forward to learning more of the magic that this band put together in these recordings.

So the fact that they "threw in" the Quad Best of on BluRay is frankly astounding. I suppose it really does show that WB, and maybe it's only our "ForagingRhino" over there, still have the quad masters in their thought process.

Even though I am not a Doors fan (and therefore won't be buying this) I am glad to see this happening as well. I was worried that since this year's Purple Rain and Tango in the Night reissues contained no surround content that maybe Warner Brothers was pulling out of including any surround material in their reissues. Glad to see that's not the case.

C'mon WB, Eagles Quadio. Just sayin'. :teleport:

...and a Joni Mitchell, and Doobie Brothers.......... we want to listen to the music on those summer lawns.............

Even though I am not a Doors fan (and therefore won't be buying this) I am glad to see this happening as well. I was worried that since this year's Purple Rain and Tango in the Night reissues contained no surround content that maybe Warner Brothers was pulling out of including any surround material in their reissues. Glad to see that's not the case.

C'mon WB, Eagles Quadio. Just sayin'. :teleport:

...and a Joni Mitchell, and Doobie Brothers.......... we want to listen to the music on those summer lawns.............

Personally, I'm waiting for the Jim Nabors Quadio box set, followed by Heino :phones :couch

Yep, Warner/Rhino is literally sitting atop hundreds of unreleased QUAD/5.1 masters and boy are they playing it safe by releasing more Doors QUAD. For those who don't own the AF QUAD Greatest Hits SACD, fine and dandy, but jeez, there also exists the Perception Box and AP's Doors 5.1 SACDs. The Door's ABSOLUTELY LIVE in QUAD/5.1, IMO, would've been the icing on the cake as it was never released in that format.

Ever heard of the term ORIGINALITY?

The more I think about this, the more I think that it was a really smart decision on Warner/Rhino's part to include the "Best Of…" Quadraphonic mix on Blu-Ray as part of this set.
Sure, it's already been released on Multichannel SACD two years ago, but in all honesty, if the goal is to shift units, then following on from last year's Chicago box set, I'm hard pressed to find another group that's a better fit than the Doors.
Besides the hope of a Doobie Brothers Quadio set, the only other REALISTIC artist and/or album I can think of that has a Quadraphonic mix that would definitely shift a lot of units if reissued by Warner/Rhino would be Alice Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies", so I say let's all pitch in, buy this release from the Doors, and see if we can get releases like the Doobie Brothers and Alice Cooper to happen very soon afterwards!

:)

The fact that it sold through its initial production run AND the sales department requested another run produced is a very positive thing.

Fingers crossed for Doobies in 2018.

That's fantastic news that it sold out of its first run!

I know it technically isn't "quad", but there is an unreleased 5.1 mix of the Doobies' Minute By Minute sitting in the vaults. Do you think there's any chance of it being included in a Doobies box?

I wonder then if there is hope for a Quadio Box set of the Doobies? Edit: ...and then I scrolled down the latest posts and found an interesting post!

Such is never the case with Rhino.
Meaning whatever master is prepared for AF, MoFi, etc. it is never requested or utilized for a future reissue.

It lives and dies with its release.

Oh yes :cool: As a student I looked at all those Doobies CD4s and wished I had the money for a decoder!

The fact that it sold through its initial production run AND the sales department requested another run produced is a very positive thing.

Fingers crossed for Doobies in 2018.

But since copyright laws and time frames have changed worldwide in the new century, you can't rule out anything, except that whatever makes the Rhino imprint is usually remastered in-house. The Doobies probably have some measure of control or influence over reissues, and if a box set were contemplated some in their camp would surely be advised and if they wished, brought into the project.

A Doobies remastered stereo/quad box set would certainly have a fair share of buyers, I'd think.

ED :)

But since copyright laws and time frames have changed worldwide in the new century, you can't rule out anything, except that whatever makes the Rhino imprint is usually remastered in-house. The Doobies probably have some measure of control or influence over reissues, and if a box set were contemplated some in their camp would surely be advised and if they wished, brought into the project.

A Doobies remastered stereo/quad box set would certainly have a fair share of buyers, I'd think.

ED :)

At least 1 buyer for sure. [emoji51][emoji51][emoji869][emoji869]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Such is never the case with Rhino.
Meaning whatever master is prepared for AF, MoFi, etc. it is never requested or utilized for a future reissue.

It lives and dies with its release.

Is there a remote possibility that you will ever release the fantastic QUAD masters of Bette Midler's The Divine Miss M especially in light of Bette's sensational revival of Hello Dolly on Broadway [TOTALLY SOLD OUT].

I have the QUAD Open Reel and it really sounds amazing.

Is there a remote possibility that you will ever release the fantastic QUAD masters of Bette Midler's The Divine Miss M especially in light of Bette's sensational revival of Hello Dolly on Broadway [TOTALLY SOLD OUT].

I have the QUAD Open Reel and it really sounds amazing.

TEASE!!!;)

Back