July 2017 Quadio Forum Musings

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact that it sold through its initial production run AND the sales department requested another run produced is a very positive thing.

Fingers crossed for Doobies in 2018.

Can we get a group "Woo Hoo"? :cool:

Is there a remote possibility that you will ever release the fantastic QUAD masters of Bette Midler's The Divine Miss M especially in light of Bette's sensational revival of Hello Dolly on Broadway [TOTALLY SOLD OUT].

I have the QUAD Open Reel and it really sounds amazing.

The sad thing, I would bet and am speaking with know specific knowledge whatsoever, is that "The Divine Miss M" just had a deluxe release come out a year or so ago (?), and that would have been the place to put the quad master in DVD or BluRay form. I would wager that another round of that album's release on a physical format is pretty slim, stereo or quad.

I could be wrong, but if I were a betting person, I'd say hang onto your quad reel..... :)

400bette.jpg

The sad thing, I would bet and am speaking with know specific knowledge whatsoever, is that "The Divine Miss M" just had a deluxe release come out a year or so ago (?), and that would have been the place to put the quad master in DVD or BluRay form. I would wager that another round of that album's release on a physical format is pretty slim, stereo or quad.

I could be wrong, but if I were a betting person, I'd say hang onto your quad reel..... :)

View attachment 29851

Sadly, Jon, I think you're right. I am fully aware of the recent 2 disc RBCD remaster of The Divine Miss M.

I was just ruminating that since Bette Midler's STAR has recently been 'revived' on Broadway [you can't buy tickets at any price] that NOW would be an opportune time to re~release the QUAD master on BD~A! It is such a brilliant debut album and if I recall, the discrete surround was stupendous and did feature Barry Manilow and Melissa Manchester. EVERY song's a stunner!

Sadly, Jon, I think you're right. I am fully aware of the recent 2 disc RBCD remaster of The Divine Miss M.

I was just ruminating that since Bette Midler's STAR has recently been 'revived' on Broadway [you can't buy tickets at any price] that NOW would be an opportune time to re~release the QUAD master on BD~A! It is such a brilliant debut album and if I recall, the discrete surround was stupendous and did feature Barry Manilow and Melissa Manchester.

Although this has nothing to do with The Doors :mad:@:, I have to admit that the only Bette Midler album I ever owned was the Quadradisc, and later obtained the Q4. All through the '70s I only used the QLP for putting the "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" onto some compilation quad reels I made for parties and such. I never really listened to the entire album.

However, a few years ago I listened to the reel as I copied it to PC for archiving, and was amazed that it was actually a very nice listen. A couple of really stand out tunes. Again, not The Doors, but it is a worthy quad for preservation.

And now, back the THE DOORS - THE SINGLES from Rhino!!!!

I think Ryan's going to swoon... ;)

I'll just leave this here…

attachment.php

But seriously, there's really no better way to follow on from the Chicago box set than with a Doobie Brothers Quadio set, so now I think it's super imperative that we all do our part and buy the upcoming Doors release!
The more that these Quadraphonic Blu-Ray discs sell, the more likely it will be that we will get more, and that's already proven to be true!

:)

I was just ruminating that since Bette Midler's STAR has recently been 'revived' on Broadway [you can't buy tickets at any price] that NOW would be an opportune time to re~release the QUAD master on BD~A! It is such a brilliant debut album and if I recall, the discrete surround was stupendous and did feature Barry Manilow and Melissa Manchester. EVERY song's a stunner!

Didn't Rhino have an issue close to 20 years ago, when they released the Aretha Franklin quad DVD-A "best of" and it failed to sell in the numbers expected. I can't imagine a specific Bette Midler album selling better than a best-of collection like the Aretha Franklin, and I think the episode kind of demonstrated that the surround music market isn't particularly interested this sort of music, even though it sold very well in the 70s. There's of course exceptions, but...

On the other hand, the surround market absolutely will buy The Doors. And if it's a different master coupled with the singles at an extremely fair price, no brainer.

(feel free to delete / clip into a new thread as appropriate).

:bounce17:bounce17:bounce17:bounce17:bounce17 and a woohoo :banana:

Didn't Rhino have an issue close to 20 years ago, when they released the Aretha Franklin quad DVD-A "best of" and it failed to sell in the numbers expected. I can't imagine a specific Bette Midler album selling better than a best-of collection like the Aretha Franklin, and I think the episode kind of demonstrated that the surround music market isn't particularly interested this sort of music, even though it sold very well in the 70s. There's of course exceptions, but...

On the other hand, the surround market absolutely will buy The Doors. And if it's a different master coupled with the singles at an extremely fair price, no brainer.

(feel free to delete / clip into a new thread as appropriate).

It wasn't 20 years ago!! :), it was SEVEN!!! (2010). Their first Quadio DVD was "Chicago Transit Authority", and that was followed up by "Aretha Frankin's Greatest Hits". There were quite a few more titles planned, and both the engineer (Bob Vosgien) from Rhino and the executive in charge (John Hughes) of the project posted and discussed with members here in the forum about the Quadio program. However, it was not the sales of the Aretha disc that doomed the program, as from what I was told, it was a sweeping change at WB in which the entire Rhino enterprise was scaled back considerably, with many employees getting let go, and in that purge the Quadio program was let go as well. So while the sales of "Aretha" didn't kill it on its own, it probably did not help. (For those members who missed the original Quadio excitement, I put the links to the two important threads of 2010 in the text above. Check them out)

If "ForagingRhino" would like to comment on this, of course he would know more than I, but it might not be something he would want to discuss in a public internet forum, and I would like him to be comfortable checking in here from time to time and do not want to put him in any position to shy away from posting here at QQ, so we may never find out ".....the rest of the story." :phones

A Doobies box would do OK, but I can tell you as a music seller that the Eagles sell a lot better than the Doobie Brothers, and a collection of their quad/surround mixes would sell as well or better than the Chicago box. I think Irv Azoff is gone, so maybe their present management would be easier to work with.

A Doobies box would do OK, but I can tell you as a music seller that the Eagles sell a lot better than the Doobie Brothers, and a collection of their quad/surround mixes would sell as well or better than the Chicago box. I think Irv Azoff is gone, so maybe their present management would be easier to work with.

At present, I have a hard time believing that Don Henley would actually agree to such a release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At present, I have a hard time believing that Don Henley would actually agree to such a release.

You are probably right, which is a shame because what I think what we need right now is for a really high profile act (like The Eagles) to embrace a set like this. Chicago & The Doobies were big back in the day, but unfortunately their back catalogs don't continue to sell as well as The Eagles catalog does. What's worse with The Eagles is (assuming that the rumored 4.0 mixes of the first 2 LPs actually exist) that their entire classic era catalog has already been mixed into 4.0 or 5.1. A few year back they released the box below on both vinyl & CD:

EAGLES_Vinyl_Box-1.jpg

Why couldn't they release it again on blu-ray with the 4.0 mixes of the first four albums and the 5.1 mixes of the other two?

The flip-side of the coin here is that the Chicago box not only sold well enough to warrant a second production run, it sold well enough for Rhino to consider releasing a similar set for another artist. A Doobies set could conceivably outsell a Chicago set simply because it would probably have a lower price tag as it will require fewer discs (unless we get a major surprise and find out that there are unreleased 4.0 mixes of the first album, Takin' it to the Streets & Livin' On the Fault Line sitting in the vaults. Unlikely, I know, but I can dream!) If the Doobies set sells well also, maybe then WB can approach Henley. With boxes from Chicago and The Doobies showing that it is a successful business model, perhaps Henley would then be persuaded.

(I hope all of the above made sense. I am recovering from spine surgery. This Oxycodone is powerful stuff, LOL.)

You are probably right, which is a shame because what I think what we need right now is for a really high profile act (like The Eagles) to embrace a set like this. Chicago & The Doobies were big back in the day, but unfortunately their back catalogs don't continue to sell as well as The Eagles catalog does. What's worse with The Eagles is (assuming that the rumored 4.0 mixes of the first 2 LPs actually exist) that their entire classic era catalog has already been mixed into 4.0 or 5.1. A few year back they released the box below on both vinyl & CD:

View attachment 29856

Why couldn't they release it again on blu-ray with the 4.0 mixes of the first four albums and the 5.1 mixes of the other two?

The flip-side of the coin here is that the Chicago box not only sold well enough to warrant a second production run, it sold well enough for Rhino to consider releasing a similar set for another artist. A Doobies set could conceivably outsell a Chicago set simply because it would probably have a lower price tag as it will require fewer discs (unless we get a major surprise and find out that there are unreleased 4.0 mixes of the first album, Takin' it to the Streets & Livin' On the Fault Line sitting in the vaults. Unlikely, I know, but I can dream!) If the Doobies set sells well also, maybe then WB can approach Henley. With boxes from Chicago and The Doobies showing that it is a successful business model, perhaps Henley would then be persuaded.

(I hope all of the above made sense. I am recovering from spine surgery. This Oxycodone is powerful stuff, LOL.)

An Eagles release like the one you describe makes perfect sense as long as there are actually 4.0 or 5.1 mixes of "Eagles", "Desperado", and "The Long Run". (They should probably call it something else other than 'Quadio' if it contained 5.1 mixes too, but that's another matter…)
However, since the Doobies already have 4 known Quadraphonic releases and since there also appears to be less red tape and bureaucracy surrounding any reissues from them, it makes perfect sense that they would be the next likely candidate to release a similar Blu-Ray audio box set, so I say, bring it on!

:)

If there are in fact quad mixes in the vaults of their first 2 albums to go with "On the Border" and "One of These Nights", a QUADIO Eagles box would be far more attractive to me, as a quad collector, than the Doobies. Since the '70s, I've had the Doobies quad reels and I have enjoyed these quad mixes immensely, and while I would be very happy that others would be able to hear them the way I have been hearing them for all of these years, I personally would want to hear "Eagles" and "Desperado" in quad a LOT more, and to hear "On The Border" and "One of These Nights", two WB titles that were never released as quad reels (Why not WB?), would be just as sweet.

So for me I would welcome, and buy, a Doobies Quadio box, no doubt, but I would certainly buy an Eagles Quadio Box as well. The difference is I would certainly PLAY an Eagles Quadio box far more than I would a Doobies box.

An Eagles release like the one you describe makes perfect sense as long as there are actually 4.0 or 5.1 mixes of "Eagles", "Desperado", and "The Long Run". (They should probably call it something else other than 'Quadio' if it contained 5.1 mixes too, but that's another matter...

They could call it Quadio+.:)

Personally, I am so burnt out on the Eagles and have been this way for about the past 15 years and I'm not saying that I don't listen to them now. It's just a lot less frequent. Would I purchase a Quadio set? Yes, I would, but a Doobie Brothers box looks more enticing to me. I still play a lot of Doobies and hate to admit that, "Takin' It To The Streets", is the one album I've been playing the most in the past 5 years. To each their own.

If there are in fact quad mixes in the vaults of their first 2 albums to go with "On the Border" and "One of These Nights", a QUADIO Eagles box would be far more attractive to me, as a quad collector, than the Doobies. Since the '70s, I've had the Doobies quad reels and I have enjoyed these quad mixes immensely, and while I would be very happy that others would be able to hear them the way I have been hearing them for all of these years, I personally would want to hear "Eagles" and "Desperado" in quad a LOT more, and to hear "On The Border" and "One of These Nights", two WB titles that were never released as quad reels (Why not WB?), would be just as sweet.

So for me I would welcome, and buy, a Doobies Quadio box, no doubt, but I would certainly buy an Eagles Quadio Box as well. The difference is I would certainly PLAY an Eagles Quadio box far more than I would a Doobies box.

I would play both of them equally if released (Doobie Brothers & Eagles) but if it's much easier for Warner/Rhino to get a Doobies set released first, then I am all in! :)

All of the WB quads are great. I'll buy anything Rhino decides to release but I would be especially interested in all the rumored quad mixes that were supposedly mixed but not released. There were many.

It wasn't 20 years ago!! :), it was SEVEN!!! (2010). Their first Quadio DVD was "Chicago Transit Authority", and that was followed up by "Aretha Frankin's Greatest Hits". There were quite a few more titles planned, and both the engineer (Bob Vosgien) from Rhino and the executive in charge (John Hughes) of the project posted and discussed with members here in the forum about the Quadio program. However, it was not the sales of the Aretha disc that doomed the program, as from what I was told, it was a sweeping change at WB in which the entire Rhino enterprise was scaled back considerably, with many employees getting let go, and in that purge the Quadio program was let go as well. So while the sales of "Aretha" didn't kill it on its own, it probably did not help. (For those members who missed the original Quadio excitement, I put the links to the two important threads of 2010 in the text above. Check them out)

If "ForagingRhino" would like to comment on this, of course he would know more than I, but it might not be something he would want to discuss in a public internet forum, and I would like him to be comfortable checking in here from time to time and do not want to put him in any position to shy away from posting here at QQ, so we may never find out ".....the rest of the story." :phones

That's about the size of it. Many factors at play put the Quadio program behind the back burner.

Back