Unofficial Quadio Future Title Poll (Please Vote)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which 1970's WEA quad titles would you BUY if they were released as Quadio Discs?

• Total voters
Alas, you are probably right. Into oblivion it goes, with the rest of broken promises and shattered dreams. :(

Audio Fidelity has picked up some of those shards of shattered broken dreams with fulfilled promises. I think giving AF time to work through the available titles, and giving thanks for them by buying them. We should then start hammering Rhino for the resurrection of the Quadio line.

Probably the right time to start hammering them over the head with emails and letters is just about the time Aretha has finally sold out. This will happen sooner or later. I don't think they pressed up that large of numbers. And also not before AF has had time to get out the best of the non-MFSL reissued titles from Warners.

Just to show respect to AF, I don't think now is the time to ask for quad directly from Sony or Warners. Letting AF get everything good that they can first is a good bet imo.

ArmyOfQuad is so right.

We told them nicely, we begged them to listen to us, we cried out for their attention, we bought their product and promoted it as best we all could (not just QQ), and they made a poor choice in title #2 (nothing against soul music or Aretha, it's just a title that was sold on a quad reel so the demand was automatically small) then seemed to point to the "poor sales" while ignoring the fantastic sales of the first title (and subsequent after market re-sale of that title)

We gave them data as to what would sell, we explained it and showed that the membership would even "put up with" non-lossless if we got the titles we wanted. We asked them for DVD-A, their own format, which would have cost pennies more to add, and again we were ignored.

I know there was a corporate takeover and downsizing at the birth of Quadio, but why start a program and kill it off when there was money to be made, no matter who was in charge.

As stated above, it's just another case of broken promises and shattered dreams.

Hadn't seen this post...totally true, and sad...

The "Catch-22" here is that; if the people working on the labels are not interested in MONEY (with spoon fed market data analysis and feedback FOR FREE!!!), what then are they interested in???

I do love a thread reactivation, those heady days of QUADIO, shame it never went further but my votes would still stand but maybe 'Foraging Rhino' can pass on to his team

Hadn't seen this post...totally true, and sad...

The "Catch-22" here is that; if the people working on the labels are not interested in MONEY (with spoon fed market data analysis and feedback FOR FREE!!!), what then are they interested in???

The story about poor sales on the Best of Aretha Franklin album is one version of what happened to the Quadio series.
Record Industry folks will tell you it was due to changes at Warner and Rhino at the time, not the sales of the Aretha Franklin album.

The story about poor sales on the Best of Aretha Franklin album is one version of what happened to the Quadio series.
Record Industry folks will tell you it was due to changes at Warner and Rhino at the time, not the sales of the Aretha Franklin album.

Oddly, I don't even remember that Aretha had that one out. I'm not a huge fan...would I have purchased it? Nope.....

Oddly, I don't even remember that Aretha had that one out. I'm not a huge fan...would I have purchased it? Nope.....

Many of us purchased it - myself included - simply to support the industry. Which made it sting all the worse when it turned out to be the last release under the Quadio banner. Here were a bunch of us buying a disc we really didn't need simply to support and hope for more releases. *Smack*

Well, then that Chicago Box came out - which I would have considered had it not been on Blu - Ray. Sorry, I'm not going to go out and buy MORE, expensive hardware just to play a couple discs I don't really like. (Had there been a Chicago IX release, I might have, but again, only if it were DVD)

This next Doors release seems silly to me to include the Greatest Hits Quad. Most of us who wanted it already bought it. So, I'm sure there are others out there like me who aren't going to partake because we've already got.

Typical of the industry to continue rehashing the same old albums never branching out into anything new. *sigh*

Fingers still crossed for an Eagles boxes set.... or Doobies. Or even a re-release of some Deep Purple. Perhaps check the archives for the mythical "Burn" album that was announced, but unreleased. Joni, Carly, James Taylor..... something new!! Please!!

Many of us purchased it - myself included - simply to support the industry. Which made it sting all the worse when it turned out to be the last release under the Quadio banner. Here were a bunch of us buying a disc we really didn't need simply to support and hope for more releases. *Smack*

Well, then that Chicago Box came out - which I would have considered had it not been on Blu - Ray. Sorry, I'm not going to go out and buy MORE, expensive hardware just to play a couple discs I don't really like. (Had there been a Chicago IX release, I might have, but again, only if it were DVD)

Well, I didn't get the Aretha one, simply because it's not my cup o' tea....I didn't even get the Chicago one because I already had it on a minty SQ LP (I know; it's NEVER the same, but I had already spent some hard earned money on it) and because my financial situation at that moment was ...let's say...NOT THE BEST...

I only buy discs from artists I like...if I go for a "blind buy" and I don't like it, I'll sell it or swap it!

Regarding the BD player, I was another one who lived in "The Nile" ;) ..I KNEW that I'd have to get one EVENTUALLY, especially with all the goodies that were being released on BD, so , it was MY WIFE who got me one (bless her, love her to bits)...It was quite funny cause she had wrapped the box Happy Birthday paper and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was...I'm so anal that once I OPENED IT , i DID NOT INSTALL IT TO MAKE SURE THAT IT WAS COMPATIBLE WITH MY RECEIVER...which it is...except for the 192...my receiver can "sort of" decode it but sometimes it sneaks in some weird noises...

Gotta get me an Oppo eventually...

...This next Doors release seems silly to me to include the Greatest Hits Quad. Most of us who wanted it already bought it. So, I'm sure there are others out there like me who aren't going to partake because we've already got...

I don't plan on buying it either because I have the Perception set and the AF Best Of SACD. But for those who didn't get those items, there is a whole lot of value at $22 for this upcoming release. Now bring on the Doobies!

I can't wait to buy The Doors set at the price point they are releasing it at. I want to hear the mono singles and I have never bought the Best of sacds.

Man, I can't believe what bad press was accorded the Aretha Franklin Best of Quad release. The Queen of Soul stuns on this QUADIO release. Cranked up and on a great system, it's positively SMOKIN.' If you check the RBCD releases, Aretha is WAY underrepresented and if ANYONE caught her performance of Carole King's 'Natural Woman' at the Kennedy Awards Ceremony [honoring among others, Carole King] a few years back, she was truly spectacular. Even Carole King was visibly mesmerized by her astounding interpretation.

As Brian stated, it wasn't lack of sales of Aretha's Greatest Hits that halted any further Rhino/Warner Quad releases....at least we have THAT settled!

But if you can still find this disc, I would truly advise you to purchase it before it's OOP.

Man, I can't believe what bad press was accorded the Aretha Franklin Best of Quad release. The Queen of Soul stuns on this QUADIO release. Cranked up and on a great system, it's positively SMOKIN.' If you check the RBCD releases, Aretha is WAY underrepresented and if ANYONE caught her performance of Carole King's 'Natural Woman' at the Kennedy Awards Ceremony [honoring among others, Carole King] a few years back, she was truly spectacular. Even Carole King was visibly mesmerized by her astounding interpretation.

As Brian stated, it wasn't lack of sales of Aretha's Greatest Hits that halted any further Rhino/Warner Quad releases....at least we have THAT settled!

But if you can still find this disc, I would truly advise you to purchase it before it's OOP.

The Aretha Franklin release had the misfortune of being the LAST release when it was generally accepted that there would be quite a few more releases, especially with the enthusiasm from both John Hughes and Bob Vosgien for the original QUADIO program. Bob told me in a PM that he was paid to do the first 10!!!! The internal misfortune of the inner workings of Rhino was not as easy for fans to blame as poor Aretha.

Sometimes, fans should probably "THINK" before they react! :)

Ugh, OK. Is this Aretha thing still available? I guess I know nothing about it...I know, I know...I said I wouldn't buy it. Just curious.....

Ugh, OK. Is this Aretha thing still available? I guess I know nothing about it...I know, I know...I said I wouldn't buy it. Just curious.....

It's out of print.

51Ce0-bgZOL.jpg

You can find copies on eBay (starting at $51) and Amazon (starting at $72)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...dva_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Best-Of...948504&hash=item1c89e39ae2:g:prwAAOSwvflZVVr7

The Aretha Franklin release had the misfortune of being the LAST release when it was generally accepted that there would be quite a few more releases, especially with the enthusiasm from both John Hughes and Bob Vosigen for the original QUADIO program. Bob told me in a PM that he was paid to do the first 10!!!! The internal misfortune of the inner workings of Rhino was not as easy for fans to blame as poor Aretha.

Sometimes, fans should probably "THINK" before they react! :)

10!??!! :yikes

Crying shame. (n)

I feel bad for the people that don't have the capable equipment to play a Blu-ray Disc but this this the format that I hope they continue to release the quads on. Also, downloads if possible even if it was only offered in a 24/48 version to save download time and space.

10!??!! :yikes

Crying shame. (n)

There are a lot more than 10 albums that were planned for reissue over the years by various record labels.
And there are reasons why they don't make it to release.

The good news is there is still activity in the Surround Sound arena. :)

Back