How many of you can play MC flac files directly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can play MC FLAC from USB on my OPPO BDP-103.
I don't know how to make a disc from MC FLAC. That would be awesome, depending on the format produced.

On a PC I use HD-Audio Solo Ultra to take the FLAC files and burn DVD-A or BD-A discs, though with two multi-channel machines Panasonic Blu-ray player & Oppo 203 I no longer need to. http://www.cirlinca.com/store.htm

Last month I did end up getting a used Oppo, new computer, and the latest JRiver Media Center player. HDMI to Oppo and Oppo does the analog out to my 12 year old trusty Onkyo surround AVR. I want to keep this receiver in action for quite a while longer due to it having a wonderful phono preamp that many models that year (or era) did not have.

I just can't spring for a new receiver just to get HDMI in/out when my current 6-chan 100 watts per chan sounds so good with the rest of the speakers and room sound.

So yeah, I finally reached sonic bliss with multi-chan file playback from server in June.

PS got new carpet in living room too, so it looks nicer and feels better.

1) Yes: I can and do play MC FLAC files via a USB drive or portable hard drive plugged into my Oppo 103. Some of these files I’ve purchased, usually from eClassical.com, others have been shared with me. I regard FLACs as a decent enough substitute for SACD, but not for DVD-A or Blu-Ray, as I miss the menu screens and assorted extras.
2) Like others who've answered the poll, I have no real incentive to burn FLACs to disc—although I do have the capability, via the above-mentioned HD-Audio Solo Ultra.
3) I still have a preference for physical media (with booklets, artwork, etc.), but I have plenty of FLAC and DSF files, too.

P.S.: If labels started releasing more out-of-print or never-before-released MCh music as download-only--either FLAC or DSD--and at reasonable prices (say, USD 12-20), then I'd buy as much of it as I could afford to! So far, though, way too many online retailers catering to audiophiles are selling digital downloads at prices higher--sometimes far higher--than their physical-media equivalents. I don't get that at all....

PC- Foobar2000 to Creative Sound Blaster 5.1 hooked up to 5.1 input on receiver
Mac- same method except uses Vox program as Foobar is not available on Mac

Unfortunately that soundcard limits me to 48 Khz sample rate so I am looking to upgrade eventually. Also the drivers are torture to run on PC but on Mac very simple using Audio MIDI section under settings.

In another room with satellite 5.1 setup I have a Dune TV 301 HD...handy device that streams MC FLAC, DTS-WAV, ISO, and various other formats

All files are streamed from a WD MyCloud Mirror NAS

Thanks for inputs (& let them coming!;))

Now it looks good! 31 have replied until now and 94% does play flac-files!!

PlaysFlac.jpg

If any artists out there are afraid no one can play flac they should not be!
If it too expensive produce DVD/BluRays then sell it as multichannel flac from their own websites or Surroundmusic.one!
:music

I cannot play multi-channel flac directly. I cannot burn them to disks either (not sure how to do that), but I do need to convert them.

What I do is convert them to AVCHD and I can play that directory structure with my Oppo BDP-83SE. I could not find a way to play the flac files directly with the 83SE. Perhaps I need to save for an upgrade :)

I also have a WDTV box I use mostly to stream movies. I should look into whether or not it can play multi-channel flac.

8TB hard drive for multichannel stuff including flac's. Musicbee, jRiver, and Foobar for Playback software.
I can burn blu-ray's and avc-hd's using Audiomuxer but I rarely ever do any longer.
My Oppo 83 SE mostly collects dust.

I also have a WDTV box I use mostly to stream movies. I should look into whether or not it can play multi-channel flac.

A mate of mine had a WDTV and it did play 5.1 FLAC ok but could not play correctly 5.0 or 4.0 as it sent wrong channels to sub and surrounds.

The WDTV is also very slow and no smarts for menu navigation, playlists, album art etc.

Thanks to my incessant questioning of Homerjau i now can play mch FLAC files via my Raspberry Pi (NAS linked) set up. An absolute game changer rendering my expensive Denon universal disc play near obsolete- saved by its SACD functionality.

Ps: thanks Homerjau!

Hi folks!

Anyone in here who have an idea how many who can
1) play multichannel flac files directly
2) turn mc flac into discs
3) only listen to surround sound from DVD/BD/SACD/Q8 etc.?

Question is can we tell bands to sell they mc music as digital download from their own website or eg. Bandcamp or too few with surround gear CAN play mc flac.

Maybe this could be a poll? (if I knew how)

1) Yes, with PC connected with HDMI to Denon AVR (using Roon as playback software)
2) No, all my music gets played with my PC (if possible)
3) Only if I have to (cannot rip Blu-ray / SACD yet), but love the Blu-ray ISO download if they add extra features (video's lyrics), play those with Dune Solo4K or Oppo 93 for DVDA iso's.
Would be nice to have a piece of equipment that can do all ISO's (DVD-A with menus etc, blu-ray, DVDV). For convience and regualar plays I convert all to Flac 5.1

Thanks to my incessant questioning of Homerjau i now can play mch FLAC files via my Raspberry Pi (NAS linked) set up. An absolute game changer rendering my expensive Denon universal disc play near obsolete- saved by its SACD functionality.

Ps: thanks Homerjau!

I really have to implement this setup someday. I have a NAS with all my music (including 5.1), and movies and photos. I also have multiple Raspberry Pi in the house, mostly used as squeezeboxes. It wouldn't cost me much to go to the next step!

Interestingly, 5.1 FLAC download has been the best-selling format of pre-orders for the new Ian Cooke album.

Back