SPOTLIGHT RARE QUAD LP'S, TAPES or CD'S

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Italian only RCA quads... extremely rare and full story here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ds-a-definitve-(-)-answer&highlight=morricone

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

zq8n55660_a.jpg

What is this "roadshow" series? Any information about it?

I have too the Godfather soundtrack CD4, AFAIK is a very rare title.

I just refer to them as "roadshow" because it says that on the OBIs, not sure if it is official name. As far as I know it is just these 3 soundtrack LPs from MCA with corresponding number sequence. CD4M-7004, 7005, 7006. According to the quad discography these 3 are the only MCA soundtrack titles released in quad.

BTW the godfather LP was listed as stereo by the ebay seller...I just happened to notice the CD-4 logo and figured it was rare. Payed $48.

Do you also have the pioneer "Love Story" CD-4? I've never even seen a picture of that one.

URC Matrix Evaluation Test Record

I've never really known what to make of this...if anyone has any info about it would be interesting to hear. It's sort of similar to the UK "quadraphile" LP. One side is encoded in the Cooper UMX format (which I believe is the matrix component of the UD-4 system), so it's probably pretty rare for that reason alone.

IMG_0066.jpgIMG_0067.jpgIMG_0068.jpg

I just refer to them as "roadshow" because it says that on the OBIs, not sure if it is official name. As far as I know it is just these 3 soundtrack LPs from MCA with corresponding number sequence. CD4M-7004, 7005, 7006. According to the quad discography these 3 are the only MCA soundtrack titles released in quad.

BTW the godfather LP was listed as stereo by the ebay seller...I just happened to notice the CD-4 logo and figured it was rare. Payed $48.

Do you also have the pioneer "Love Story" CD-4? I've never even seen a picture of that one.

Lucky guy... i've paid more or less the same and for the same reason, no quad mention on the auction.:)
No, don't have the Love Story.

I've never really known what to make of this...if anyone has any info about it would be interesting to hear. It's sort of similar to the UK "quadraphile" LP. One side is encoded in the Cooper UMX format (which I believe is the matrix component of the UD-4 system), so it's probably pretty rare for that reason alone.

During the years passed on scanning ebay i've seen several times the UMX logo on japanese OBI and wondered where it came from: i knew it was a matrix system but nothing more. So it was Denon Columbia system... very likely later recycled for the UD system.

View attachment 29947View attachment 29948View attachment 29949

Yes that is the UD4 Matrix
I read a review on this EP years ago
It said that it was made by Little LPs company
A great find
ron

During the years passed on scanning ebay i've seen several times the UMX logo on japanese OBI and wondered where it came from: i knew it was a matrix system but nothing more. So it was Denon Columbia system... very likely later recycled for the UD system.

I wonder if you have seen QMX
I don,t think that there were any UMX released for sale
only demo,s
Ron

Do you mean a self-adesive label on both sides of the LP, or just the CD4 adesive on the LP cover?

Having the D.W. in front of me,

Also, re-examining the runout groove, it may be that WB USA sent a pair of their CD4 stamper in Germany where they applied the Manufactured in Germany line, since the number in the groove is BS4 2846 which is not present anywhere on the labels.

Does the Passport disc mention where it has been CUTTED? JVC Los Angeles?

Likely "metal stampers" were sent to a plant in the U.K. as it would make sense that most of those six exclusive discs did indicate "made in the U.K." on their paper labels pressed onto the vinyl.

My Passport disc does indicate "manufactured in Germany ".

The label that was stuck on the back of the U.S. CD-4 of Wyman's disc was the square WEA UK one. (Pic)
The store in Winnipeg that I purchased it from specialized in Import discs , British, German, Italian and some French discs and a large contingent of imported quad discs mixed throughout the stereo albums. Only ever saw 3 or 4 Euro CD-4--WEA discs, though .
like the Wyman disc there was also a couple Frank Sinatra and Absolute Elsewhere's contribution . The Sinatra had U.S.
quadradisc sleeves much like the Wyman.

20170713_091934.jpg

View attachment 29947View attachment 29948View attachment 29949

Now that's a good rarity. Cool. :smokin

Going from memory here, but I do think I read somewhere's they -URC , utilized their facilities to encode some EV-4 albums for one of the labels . :rolleyes:

And yes the "Cooper time cube" was initially a tri-phonic encode . Would go through many matrice changes, also , such as BMX and QMX . Denon Records had an encode indicated on their discs, early on. Either QX or some other matrice indicator.
I'll leave it up to "Ron Brain" to let us know though, I'm certain he still has some discs.

And yes the "Cooper time cube" was initially a tri-phonic encode . Would go through many matrice changes, also , such as BMX and QMX . Denon Records had an encode indicated on their discs, early on. Either QX or some other matrice indicator.
I'll leave it up to "Ron Brain" to let us know though, I'm certain he still has some discs.

Does this mean that my QX discs are not RM/QS encoded, but rather UMX?

Likely "metal stampers" were sent to a plant in the U.K. as it would make sense that most of those six exclusive discs did indicate "made in the U.K." on their paper labels pressed onto the vinyl.

My Passport disc does indicate "manufactured in Germany ".

The label that was stuck on the back of the U.S. CD-4 of Wyman's disc was the square WEA UK one. (Pic)
The store in Winnipeg that I purchased it from specialized in Import discs , British, German, Italian and some French discs and a large contingent of imported quad discs mixed throughout the stereo albums. Only ever saw 3 or 4 Euro CD-4--WEA discs, though .
like the Wyman disc there was also a couple Frank Sinatra and Absolute Elsewhere's contribution . The Sinatra had U.S.
quadradisc sleeves much like the Wyman.

View attachment 29964

Never seen that sticker before...

No they are (QS) or near enough
Look up Mark Anderson New list
At the top it gives a run down on the formats

Ron

That is interesting. I have a decoder for QX that I have yet to try. While I doubt it has much separation, it has 8 outputs. You can hook it up in a square or a diamond formation. It is made by Browni (not a typo, at least not by me.)

I have played mine through
QSD1 and Surround master
and they give a good surround depending on how they were mixed
It was mentioned on another thread that QS did not give a good
surround if you played any Enoch light lp you would not think that
Ron

Last edited:
Back