Dynaquad Discs & Recommended

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RAYMOND ERICKSON -THE ERICKSON TAPES. DYNAQUAD, from Syntonic Research Records

20150830_200657.jpg20150830_200710.jpg20150830_200716.jpg20150830_200738.jpg

Although not 100% accurate , I always found QS vario-matrix would supply some very pleasing results for any Dynaquad or Dynaquad-recommended albums.

Also, I utilized Sony's "R-MTX" mode on their decoder and found it unique and favourable to DY-4D. (Dynaquad)

Although not 100% accurate , I always found QS vario-matrix would supply some very pleasing results for any Dynaquad or Dynaquad-recommended albums.

Also, I utilized Sony's "R-MTX" mode on their decoder and found it unique and favourable to DY-4D. (Dynaquad)

I think the Marantz Vari-Matrix thing is something different than QS variomatrix!? I was under the impression that its more like a Hafler circuit but before the speaker stage? Since i know very little facts about this i would be great to learn more!

I think the Marantz Vari-Matrix thing is something different than QS variomatrix!? I was under the impression that its more like a Hafler circuit but before the speaker stage? Since i know very little facts about this i would be great to learn more!

Just a little belated reply-Boogiepack

If your unit has like you say, a Hafler like decode , well.....that's DYNAQUAD(y)

David Hafler worked for Dynaco and Dynaquad (DY-4D) is his creation.I've also heard of another "DY'4D" decode common in Britain and Europe in the 70's, known as a "Neal Resolver".

So your Varimatrix decoder would be ideal for Dynaquad (DY-4D) I should think. And all those lists of Dynaquad and recommended lps, cds should be fun to experience.:D

fizzyquaddizzy

Yes there are a number of them on "Dynaco's" recommend for DY-4D playback.

The Lee Michaels disc is live , no synths, and the song "Heighty Hi" has the audience singing along in the rear channels-rather unique I think.

Yes there are a number of them on "Dynaco's" recommend for DY-4D playback.

The Lee Michaels disc is live , no synths, and the song "Heighty Hi" has the audience singing along in the rear channels-rather unique I think.

Anything from J.J. Perrey and Gershon Kingsley, individually or together, will sound great. Another album, "Everything You Always Wanted To Hear On The Moog (But Were Afraid To Ask For)", any of Wendy Carlos's albums, most classical music, all sound great through DY. These are just some examples. There are many, many more.

Anything from J.J. Perrey and Gershon Kingsley, individually or together, will sound great. Another album, "Everything You Always Wanted To Hear On The Moog (But Were Afraid To Ask For)", any of Wendy Carlos's albums, most classical music, all sound great through DY. These are just some examples. There are many, many more.

See Post#2 & #3 of this thread.:D

The Tomita mystery surround matrix, likely "bi-phonic".

His "Live From Linz" utilized something similar.

ISAO TOMITA-THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE (Pyramid sound, RCA)

20160805_192515.jpg20160805_192523.jpg20160805_192533.jpg20160805_192551.jpg

See Post#2 & #3 of this thread.:D

I saw them. The DY system was mainly sold as an enhancement for stereo recordings, using the out-of-phase information in them to create the "pseudo-quad" effect. And yes, DY- encoded recordings sound very good on them. QS and EV-4, too. SQ records sound OK on it, but not quite as good as QS or EV. And since the DY processor is a passive device, there's no logic steering available. It was a great way to see if quad would be your cup of tea. I connected one of these devices to a Magnavox compact stereo, added a pair of small, but efficent speakers for the rear, and it blew me out of the water.

I saw them. The DY system was mainly sold as an enhancement for stereo recordings, using the out-of-phase information in them to create the "pseudo-quad" effect. And yes, DY- encoded recordings sound very good on them. QS and EV-4, too. SQ records sound OK on it, but not quite as good as QS or EV. And since the DY processor is a passive device, there's no logic steering available. It was a great way to see if quad would be your cup of tea. I connected one of these devices to a Magnavox compact stereo, added a pair of small, but efficent speakers for the rear, and it blew me out of the water.

Wow Jaybird that's a Rip Van Winkle response to that post if I ever saw one !! But better late then never.:D(y)

FWIW I thought I'd post some info, a response really, to the DYNACO ENCODER.Some people had doubts it existed, myself included.

What's wierd is that Dynaco did not manufacture them ?? Well probably apart from their prototype.

Made by Gately Electronics.:rolleyes:

20160807_132808.jpg20160807_132819.jpg20160807_133227.jpg20160807_133349.jpg

Wow Jaybird that's a Rip Van Winkle response to that post if I ever saw one !! But better late then never.:D(y)

FWIW I thought I'd post some info, a response really, to the DYNACO ENCODER.Some people had doubts it existed, myself included.

What's wierd is that Dynaco did not manufacture them ?? Well probably apart from their prototype.

Made by Gately Electronics.:rolleyes:

View attachment 26963View attachment 26964View attachment 26965View attachment 26966

Rip Van Winkle, huh? It was only 10 years, not 20! But as I was reviewing the thread, I realized there was something more I could add to the discussion that no one else had. Having had experience with a Dynaco decoder, and I'm guessing I'm not alone in that, I found the effect is gave with many stereo records to be quite interesting. Some records were better than others, but I noticed an opening-up of the sound that seemed lost with only two speakers in a normal stereo display. The first quad record I bought was a demonstration disc from Ovation, encoded in EV Stereo-4. Some tracks, more than others, impressed me quite a bit. But it was a very good way to whet my appetite for more quad. Hooked? Damn right I was!

There were many Dynaquad type devices on the market. Apparently the Dynaquad playback unit was not able to be patented.

Among the devices very close to Dynaquad were:

Craig Car Quad
Lafayette Composer
Sanyo Decoder-4 (adjustable parameter)
Sylvania Phase Q4
Toshiba QM Acoustic Effect Simulator
Magnavox Quadraplex
Quadrasizer
Panasonic Quadruplex
BSR QuasiQuad
Eico Quatrasonic
Realistic Quatravox
Denon QX

The Utah Studio-4 is NOT a Dynaquad, but the speakers could be rearranged to produce the Dynaco diamond.
The Marantz Vari-Matrix could be adjusted to any RM or QM matrix parameters, but it is not a speaker matrix.

More. DYNAQUAD ??

DECCA RECORDS, DEUSCHE GRAMMAPHONE, AND OTHER RELATED LABELS OF UNIVERSAL'S CLASSICAL MUSIC FAMILY, released a large number of CD'S in their "AMSI" system of surround.
"AMSI" stands for:.......AMBIENT SURROUND IMAGING.
You can find many of these discs on the : " ELOQUENCE SERIES " CD releases, clearly marked AMSI and surround is indicated on all I have seen to date.

You can check out the lists of AMSI on -UMUSIC.CA....but other UNIVERSAL sites should have them as well.
They also released, I believe, 7 titles by James Last. Those were tagged as "digital surround encoded", but were clearly processed in the AMSI system, too. They sound quite good.

Back