More Guess Who in Multichannel SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
A huge upgrade from my CD-4 discs, everything just sounds better! Of course I've always loved the songs and the discrete Quad mixes. This disc is a 9 for me.. Thanks Vocalion. How about The Guess Who albums "Road Food" and "10" on the next disc.

Yes, MORE Guess WHO!

And I suppose the consensus is that QUAD SACDs from the master tapes will always sound better than Q8, Vinyl [SQ/QS/EV/CD~4] and even QUAD Open Reel......IF properly mastered.

Yes, MORE Guess WHO!

And I suppose the consensus is that QUAD SACDs from the master tapes will always sound better than Q8, Vinyl [SQ/QS/EV/CD~4] and even QUAD Open Reel......IF properly mastered.

I'd be into The Guess Who as well, as long as they sound better than the dismal Best of that Audio Fidelity released.

I'd be into The Guess Who as well, as long as they sound better than the dismal Best of that Audio Fidelity released.

Could be. There are a number of Guess Who albums that were mixed into 4 Channel Sound.

As for the sound quality of the Best of The Guess Who Surround SACD from Audio Fidelity, depends on your audio system and components.
That one sounds excellent in Surround Sound here, especially when played with a Multichannel DAC.

The Best of the Guess Who vol. 2 does in fact have better sound quality and in some cases better mixes than the first best of collection.

I'm sure AF did the best they could with the sources, and maybe my hopes were too high considering my rose colored memories of the Quad 8 track, but it was a big disappointment.

DV is picking such interesting stuff to release, The Guess Who would be something I can picture them trying

I'm sure AF did the best they could with the sources, and maybe my hopes were too high considering my rose colored memories of the Quad 8 track, but it was a big disappointment.

DV is picking such interesting stuff to release, The Guess Who would be something I can picture them trying

We need to remember that the 4 Channel recordings are some 40-50 years old.
So it's unlikely that they are going to sound as good as today's new recordings in most cases.

That said, Best of the Guess Who does sound quite impressive here via the EMM Labs and Merging Technologies DACs.

IMO it's the first one or two tracks only that are dissapointing. "These Eyes" is atrocious in quad. Then it's gets much better and they are flying in four channel by the time of Hand Me Down World and Share the Land, etc.

IMO it's the first one or two tracks only that are disappointing. "These Eyes" is atrocious in quad. Then it's gets much better and they are flying in four channel by the time of Hand Me Down World and Share the Land, etc.

Agreed.

Not much going on Quad-wise on These Eyes.
The Surround mix gets better as the album goes on as you noted.

You hope the next ones announced are classical because everyone is getting their hopes up high for more mainstream pop (like those evergreens I just can't get outta my head).

Well I hope you are disappointed with the next batch and the batch after that as well. And you have to wait a full year before any good classical appears in quad on DV. (Good laugh)

Either way. I was mostly amused at how excited everyone is getting. It's still a long way from Pure Prarie League to the Guess Who albums. But who knows.

Totally down for more guess who...I have the Road Food Q8 and the mix more than makes up for the weaker material versus their earlier stuff. From what I understand their last few quad releases are four-corner discrete as opposed to the earlier crazy panning approach. But there are also a few that are totally double stereo

As I mentioned in the World Is A Ghetto poll thread the two War quads on one SACD would be phenomenal.

I'd also love to see the pocos come out...Seven is one of my favorite quad albums and sounds great even in SQ.

Though really anything from Columbia/Sony's vaults would be great...

I agree release any or all of The Guess Who Quads, they are all great. Also Bachman Turner Overdrive. The BTO Quad's are some of the best most immersive mixes ever.

I agree release any or all of The Guess Who Quads, they are all great. Also Bachman Turner Overdrive. The BTO Quad's are some of the best most immersive mixes ever.

BTO is a great idea, though I don't think it fits the DV style.
Hope I'm wrong

BTO is a great idea, though I don't think it fits the DV style.
Hope I'm wrong

Which is why I relish the DTS 5.1 version of BTO's Not Fragile* and I just placed an order from Amazon for the two disc GOLD best of edition [$8 + tx, brand new]. http://www.allmusic.com/album/gold-2-cd-mw0000181101

*https://www.amazon.com/Not-Fragile-Bachman-Turner-Overdrive/dp/B000007R12

I may be in the minority, but I wish D~V would release the RCA Original Cast Recording of Hair as a QUAD SACD. The Age of Aquarius! https://www.bing.com/images/search?...of+hair+quadradisc+photo&mode=overlay&first=1

Last edited:
Could be. There are a number of Guess Who albums that were mixed into 4 Channel Sound.

As for the sound quality of the Best of The Guess Who Surround SACD from Audio Fidelity, depends on your audio system and components.
That one sounds excellent in Surround Sound here, especially when played with a Multichannel DAC.

I agree, Brian. Though certainly not the best sounding AF QUAD SACD, better systems [players/DACs/pre pros] will yield better results.

Last edited:
I agree, Brian. Though certainly not the best sounding AF QUAD SACD, better systems [players/DACs/pre pros] will yield better results.

Best of the Guess Who is up there sound quality wise with a good quality DAC.
But then again, it was transferred on a Meitner EMM Labs DSD DAC. :)

Best of the Guess Who is up there sound quality wise with a good quality DAC.
But then again, it was transferred on a Meitner EMM Labs DSD DAC. :)

I was a little disappointed with American Woman as I have a 24K SBM [super bit mapping] Gold version* of the complete version with the extended acoustic introduction and it really sounds pretty astounding via my Meridian 808 Signature Reference RBCD/DVD~A Stereo player.

*https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatest-H...=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=The+Guess+Who+24K+Gold+cd

Last edited:
I was a little disappointed with American Woman as I have a 24K SBM [super bit mapping] Gold version

I have earlier versions of The Guess Who's American Woman on CD and LP.
Listened to it with a big Guess Who fan here. We both found the Audio Fidelity Surround SACD blew away the earlier editions by a wide margin.

Back